Google Nexus 5 Phone - 4.95'', 1080p, 4G/LTE, 4.4 KitKat, Black/White 16/32GB

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Danske, Sep 4, 2013.

1. power

power Member

aw, now I want to bank with CBA even though I hate them.

2. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Awesome - hopefully 5.1.0 will address my issues with Lollipop (doubt it though).

DL'ing image now, will do a clean wipe I think.

Wow that's pretty cool!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  3. Kow

Kow Member

5.1 seems to fixed a lot of lag also the cba app ++!

4. scottath

scottath Member

Freaked out a sales person getting dinner last night with the Comm app - her face was priceless....

5. Johnbu

Johnbu Member

Tap and pay doesn't link to your CBA credit card, only to your CBA savings. Useless to me.

6. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

I just saw this

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/03/say-goodbye-to-nexus-5-and-everything-else-you-missed-yesterday/

:(

7. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

8. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

I honestly don't get Google... they bought Motorola, and I thought, sweet - they can finally make decent handsets with "pure" Android and not rely on crappy (LG) manufacturers...

Well, the Motorola thing didn't last long before they flogged it off to the Chinese (Lenovo).

Seems like they had it just for the patent wars with Apple, etc... :thumbdn:

I keep looking at the Nexus 6 and looking at the price... then looking at other handsets out there... and everything is just "shit" as a combination. Either good hardware (Samsung) + crap software (TouchWiz) or crap hardware (Motorola [screens, specifically]) + good software (nearly pure Android).

Da fuqqqqqq :upset:

9. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Yep my exact thoughts aswell.

A Nexus/Google Play version of Galaxy S6 wouldn't be so bad - I will never ever everv eveereveverererer go back to touchwiz, shit was horrendous. Currently no other phone looks nice to me, they're all shit (for a particular reason) lol.

And I don't agree with LG being a crappy manufacturer. N5 is a great phone... Except the battery but all batteries suck.

10. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

My gripes with the LG hardware (though to be fair, some isn't LG OEM):

* Wireless frequency restrictions on 802.11n chipset
    * Speaker quality for phone calls (horrendous!)
    * Signal/reception in weaker areas
    * Button press quality (doesn't bother me too much but it kind of sucks)

The first two points really annoy me. That said - the experience/speed of using the N5 compared to my old S3 is just... so good. Not once on the N5 have I thought "man my phone is so slow".

... but yeah - totally agree that a Google Play / Nexus Samsung phone, available globally, would be the best of both worlds.

Or - crazy idea - Apple releasing an Android handset. :lol: :Pirate: I don't like Apple's motives / business model, but their Engineering is top-notch (anyone want to offer me an Engineering job there? :D)

Anyway - still love my N5 - but just wish it was that little bit better on the hardware front. I am afraid that at any moment I am going to end up with some hardware failure like battery dying, buttons getting stuck, etc. :p

11. mmBax

mmBax Member

Replaced my battery today - really straight forward process.

Hopefully, just hopefully, it gets me another hour or two per day. I doubt it will but who knows.

12. Subliminal

Subliminal Member

Noticed i've got my ability to send text message to more than one person back :thumbup::thumbup:

13. mrjimmyc

mrjimmyc Member

Where did u get the battery from? Easy process to replace? I'm toying with the idea of replacing mine to see if it makes any difference.

14. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

I gave up and went to "Messenger" by Google. Surprisingly very fast and smooth looking.

Oh and anyone had issues with their camera motor not able to get a focus when opening the camera? Mine focuses in and out until I hit/jolt the phone, then it can lock down for a focus... I think I need to rma it. :Paranoid:

15. mmBax

mmBax Member

Messenger by google is a million times better than hangouts.

Can't say I've ever had that problem with the camera though, looks pretty simple to replace, just depends on how keen you are on opening it up?

I replaced my battery with a 'genuine' (probably not so genuine) battery off ebay and now I'm having random shut downs. This is apparently a lollipop issue though? So I'm not entirely sure whether to send the battery back or carry on with it.

Battery replacement was very easy, back case off, take the internal cover off, unclip two connectors and come at the battery from the side, and it pops right out.

16. Imitation

Imitation Member

My button issue seems to be increasing. I have found my phone turned off 10+ times in the last week. Sometimes I pick it up and it's on the 'Power Off' popup button.

I'm getting scared I won't wake up for work because my phone will be off in the morning.

EDIT before post :D: Holy shit I picked it up just now and it had the 'Power Off' prompt. I hit away from it / back.. whatever I did I definitely didn't hit 'Power Off'. 3 seconds later it turned off.. fuck.. thinking I should ditch Nexus 5 while it's still running and get a cheap heap of shit to tide me over.

EDIT 2: Went to work today and had my phone reboot 10ish times. Fun.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  17. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Anyone had their alarm go off and no ability to swipe to turn it off?

Eventually after turning the phone screen on/off and pressing the volume buttons multiple times it let me swipe it off.

Has happened to me a handful of times. :thumbdn: Annoying as shit - I want to sleep in :lol:

18. shmity

shmity Member

I had the same problem. I loved my nexus but putting up with that shit was not going to happen (it pissed me off one too many times when travelling) so I got rid of it and went with a z3. 2ish days of battery + superior build is great but I would have got another Nexus 5 if they were available when I had to buy a new phone.

19. Imitation

Imitation Member

I'm not sure this exactly has happened to me but when I've found the screen unresponsive in the past I just screen off/screen on the phone. Usually fixes it straight away. I use Sleep as Android with CAPTCHA so I never sleep in. Amazingly I've never turned off my smart phone / yanked battery (Galnex, N1) before either.. whereas when I was younger and using a feature phone I would yank that battery in 2 seconds flat.

I think I will wait for IO and see if they do release a new (and hopefully cheap) Nexus 5. Otherwise Z3/Z4 (if they release soon?) compact is on my list.

20. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

anyone got 5.1 yet?