Google Nexus 5 Phone - 4.95'', 1080p, 4G/LTE, 4.4 KitKat, Black/White 16/32GB

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Danske, Sep 4, 2013.

1. archie

archie Member

Not on my Nexus 5, but I did in my Nexus 7 2012.

2. scottath

scottath Member

Got it on my N5 - stability seems to have suffered a little i tihnk, but i had a handful of apps update at the same time, so may not be the OSs fault.
    Found myself rebooting every 3-400hrs on 5.0, keeping the same sort of thing with 5.1

3. Kow

Kow Member

Yes. It's faster, but still have the same lag issues if i have 2-3 apps open.

4. Imitation

Imitation Member

Flashed OTA myself a few days ago. My personal experience was 'holy shit this is fast!'.. but after a few days it settled a bit. It's faster but as above it still has lag here and there. I've only had what I'd describe as a memory leak once so far and would say it's pretty much solved for me. I do have 70 tabs in Chrome right now (omg wtf!) as well as listening to music and browsing reddit and whatever and it seems fine.

5. Carey

Carey Member

Seems a common problem. I had it myself. Called google up and after a few tests (that I'd already done), they sent me a replacement and then arranged a courier to collect the faulty device.

6. minushuman

minushuman Member

How long ago did you purchase? Mine started doing this last week. I bought at launch though.

7. Carey

Carey Member

I claimed it just under 1 yr (september last year?). Bought the day of launch too. So yours will be out of warranty but it should be a known fault so they might replace it for you. Can't hurt to try!

I should also mention no ROM/kernel/factory image/unroot/root fixed the problem.

8. rhythm

rhythm Member

I purchased mine on launch and was told i have 2 years warranty. I've replaced it about 3 times so far because of issues.

9. Imitation

Imitation Member

Really? I might see what I can do then.

In the mean time I have installed WTN - Wakeup Touch Nexus ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wolandsoft.wtn ).

I am using the proximity sensor to screen on and then a button on screen to lock. I was going to double tap to wake but I'm running the wrong kernel and just cbf at the moment. Effort. Also didn't know how much more battery it would use. Works great as is.

10. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Just sideloaded 5.1. Seems a little bit smoother.

Have activated "On-body" detection smart lock, which is cool.

Apparently the changelog says they reintroduced "silent" mode, which is a lie. they haven't lol. It's not int he power button menu or drop down or sound menu.

Details here: http://www.xda-developers.com/android-5-1-details-whats-changed/

11. GTR27

GTR27 Member

I can't use 4g because if I have it on, I don't receive calls, they go straight to message bank :( battery life seems weird now compared to earlier android revision and sometimes the unlock button stops responding. Everything except the 4g issue is random though.

12. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

RMA replacement on the way, as I've had a wonky camera motor for months now. It wouldn't focus when launching and I had to shake it hard to get it to kick in.

Question is. Anything worth wild buying instead, and selling on the replacement?

I'm thinking the Z3c or maybe the full Z3, but I'm not 100% sold on the usb cable placement location.

13. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

All current phones are pretty meh to me, I like the Z3c but it kinda looks like an iphone copy? How bloated is Sony's android btw, is it close to stock as possible?

I'm pretty glad a few of my issues with 5.0 have been resolved with 5.1 so far. My phone feels super fast again, pretty sure I can wait it out til November this year to see what the next Nexus will be like.

If its big and expensive like the N6, then shit I dunno what I'll do :lol:.

14. 2SHY

2SHY Member

You can use the magentic dock for charging and to use as alarm clock at night. I do it with my Z2 Tablet and looks pretty awesome.

15. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

Finally got the update...phone alot faster now, so all well and good atm. Will have to wait a few days to see if it has improved battery life or not

16. mmBax

mmBax Member

Yeah I got it today as well, haven't really noticed anything major yet.

I pulled out the cheapo battery I got off ebay as I was getting random shutdowns that required a charger to get the phone to reboot. That'll teach me to never buy a cheap battery ever again.

17. aL4n

aL4n Member

Ive got the msg to update to 5.1, can it be updated via OTA if rooted? As it gets an error message when trying to update.

18. MyDixiesNormous

MyDixiesNormous Member

I had the exact same issue with my "genuine" battery as well. I even made them send me a replacement and that one was worse than the first. Once a day as opposed to every 3 to 4 days.

How the hell do you buy a real battery? I just don't trust anyone. It seems the only way is to go to a lg service center and get reamed.

19. mmBax

mmBax Member

Option B for me was to order the dearest battery I could find on ebay, instead of the cheapest. I've given up though and I think I just need to put cash aside for another phone.

Stupidly I opened a dispute about the battery, was going to return it and get my cash back, but I closed it thinking it'll be fine, as the battery was lasting longer, it just had the random shut downs. I thought I could deal with it, I was wrong, and because I'd already shut the dispute I'm stuck 19 bucks down with a crap battery.

I'm probably wrong, but if it's a google image and not something else, and the bootloader is locked. You will get OTA. If it's unlocked it won't install. Again, I'm probably wrong.

20. dinkleton

dinkleton Member

Hey guys, what's the deal with the Nexus 6? I've been overseas for 6 months so haven't kept up to date with phones back home. Will need a new one as I smashed my Nexus 5 when I was in Brazil.

Is the Nexus 6 no good or something? Not available in Australia? Not worth looking at? Because it seems you guys are all still talking about the Nexus 5 :confused: