Google Nexus 5 Phone - 4.95'', 1080p, 4G/LTE, 4.4 KitKat, Black/White 16/32GB

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Danske, Sep 4, 2013.

1. shmity

shmity Member

Totally different phone really. Much bigger, very different price point. Much bigger change from 5-6 than there was 4-5.

2. dinkleton

dinkleton Member

Yeah I did wonder that - the price is a huge difference, reviews seem to be pretty good though. Maybe it's worth waiting it out for a new release later this then.

3. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

From what I've read you either love it or hate it lol.

It's big, like really goddamn big. But some people like big phones for the screen real estate.

It's also double the price of the Nexus 5, which automatically prices out a lot of Nexus fans.

So you gotta decide whether you want a big, expensive phone, or can wait til October/November this year for the next Nexus. Or buy something out now, I personally think the current batch of phones are pretty shit - Only the Sony Z3 compact kind-of-not-really has my interest, however my Nexus 5 is still intact.

4. shmity

shmity Member

I love my z3 full as a change from the nexus. Hardware and feel wise its great. Similar enough to the nexus but better. kit kat was a drag though, sony had changed enough of the way it worked from vanilla for it to be an issue and rooting for custom roms has only just become possible without loosing some functionality. Battery life shits all over it, bigger brighter screen and i get close to two days useage vs about 7 hours with my nexus. Lollipop drops in aus in a few weeks for it so hopefully that is closer to vanllia than not.

ON topic though, Ideally if i was going to change phones soon I would be on the look out for something that sat between the nexus 5 and 6 pretty much in every regard (size, price, performance)

5. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Just got notified / downloaded / installed 5.1 android via OTA on Nexus 5.
    Works well. The new additions are welcome.

[emoji106]

6. @sia@home

@sia@home Member

Has anyone replaced a smashed screen on their N5? I dropped mine flat on its face on concrete which had some bitumen mixed in (high spots) and it smashed the screen in about 5 places. It either turns on now to what looks like a test pattern or the screen unside down and reversed and the touch screen doesn't work at all.

I've found replacement screen+digitizer+frame on ebay for about $87 but they all say compatible with D820 and D821 and my understanding was Australian playstore phone are D821 and the frame section is incompatible between the two models.

7. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

5.1 update has made my N5 run amazingly fast now. 5.0 killed my performance badly unless I did regular restarts. Battery life was stuffed as well. Enabling battery saving at the end of every work day (so ~10 hours off charge). Now easily lasting a weekend.

8. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

My phone's running worse on 5.1 :( factory reset time methinks.

9. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

5.1 has mostly been pretty good for me thus far.

I still have that weird reception issue... when my reception drops out, it doesn't always reconnect, and it says I have full bars and 4G but no data/sms/calls, and only way to fix it is by switching on and off airplane mode.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Maybe its my phone, should I contact google? Actually i think it's out of warranty lol.

10. VIP3R

VIP3R Member

If bought via Aus google play you have 2 years warranty.

11. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Oh awesome. I will open a support call then.

12. Speaker4TheDead

Speaker4TheDead Member

I've got this weird issue as well... may or maynot have 4g bars.. sometimes just the X through it.

Upgraded from 4.4 to 5.1 in one go... thought it was the ROM issue not the 5.1

Running Catalysm Rom if it helps.

13. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Hmm which operator are you with?

I'm with Telstra, it could be a Telstra thing?

I'm just running normal/vanilla 5.1.

14. Speaker4TheDead

Speaker4TheDead Member

Yes Telstra... but never had this issue before 5.1

15. aL4n

aL4n Member

ive used them and it works,

16. tzortst

tzortst Member

Is this written anywhere on the google website?

17. archie

archie Member

so anyone found an original battery to replace in this phone?
    mine lasts till around 2-3PM now.
    I charge it at lunch to 100% and its down to 10-15% by 9PM grr.

still immensly happy with the phone otherwise

18. power

power Member

I'd be resetting the phone or looking for something software wise draining the phone before ordering a battery.

19. MyDixiesNormous

MyDixiesNormous Member

Im still waiting for my third replacement battery to arrive. The oem battery is just toast. I have a screen capture of it showing just over 30% remaining and 1 minute until the battery is fully charged while charging. In a few cases the phone would say it had dropped to 40% after only a 1.5hrs of sitting in my pocket. i would reboot the phone and it then dropped to 8%. Pop it on the charger and the battery would be full in 15min. Truly fucked.

I think the battery has actually dropped some cells and only has a third of the capacity. I had to put my aftermarket battery back into the phone just to use it and the oem battery had bulged quite a bit. Almost twice the thickness in some parts.

My aftermarket battery has good runtime but the fucker just shuts the phone off and requires the charger just to turn the phone on every few days.

I've order a fully aftermarket battery that is not pretending to be a oem battery. Its about twice the price of a legitimate battery $30. My theory is that the "oem" ebay batteries are just rejects.

I'll let you know how this one turns out. It should have been here by now, the bastard better have not been lost.

If this doesn't work than i'll have to go through google and send them a pic of the battery and get the ball rolling on a warranty claim.

20. mmBax

mmBax Member

I don't even think they're rejects, I'm still 99% sure they're just cheap clones from some chinese factory. The one I got for my nexus was almost identical, it was ever so slightly different in the shape/sizing. That's the only reason why I doubted it was genuine.

I sold my nexus the other week, waiting for my iphone 6 to rock up, but using an iphone 5 temporarily until it does. Whilst I absolutely miss androids UI, and I really do miss it, iOS is pretty terrible and doesn't seem to flow as nicely.. but I absolutely 10000x can say that I'm loving the battery performance.

Woke up Friday morning, disconnected from the charger, at 7:30am or so.
    Hammered it all day, facebook, messenger, youtube, reddit. Went to bed with 33% and something like 4 hours screen time, I didn't plug it into a charger until 3pm today, and even today I was checking in on games, youtube, mail, navigation. I think I would have had 6 hours screen time and 30+ hours standby.