1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Google Nexus 5 Phone - 4.95'', 1080p, 4G/LTE, 4.4 KitKat, Black/White 16/32GB

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Danske, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Not sure what your running, but I can't complain about battery life.
    Bluetooth, WiFi, location running. Multiple active sync accounts on 5 min sync (not push), several calls a day, read / replying to emails etc. Reading websites, etc. App notifications all turned off.
    (i dont play games)

Doesn't drop below 50% by 11pm bed time..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  2. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Do you get 4g anywhere else?

Get the sim reburned imo.

3. esaitchkay

esaitchkay Member

nopeee. I live west so I suppose I wouldn't get it normally anyways LOL but yeah after trying parra and then sydney cbd + north shore area, there's just HSDPA+. I suppose I'll get another sim from voda and see how that goes. thanks :thumbup:

4. archie

archie Member

With my old optus sim I had to ring them and get 4g activated. Till then I could only get 3g

5. esaitchkay

esaitchkay Member

yeah it says http://www.vodafone.com.au/aboutvodafone/network/4g/faq that I should automatically get it, but on another voda faq, it said I need to contact them, so I just emailed them.

EDIT: just called them and they said I need to upgrade my plan to a newer one.. lol.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  6. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

ah so its plan related. Imo if thats not sorted, then defo sim reburn at voda shop, they do that for free. Well should.

7. esaitchkay

esaitchkay Member

alright thanks for all the help! :thumbup::thumbup:
    I'm really leaning towards live connected which is sooo much better in value, but I just can't see the customer service being any good haha.

also guys, just got these:
    http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/126132

not sure why, but anyone like to share what they use nfc for?
    (I'll probably just use one to switch off mobile data when i get home and switch off vibrate :lol: )

8. ~kraven

~kraven Member

OK, so you made some sacrifices and not a heavy user and get manageable battery life. His comment meant, like the G2, having a 3000mA battery in the same space so no sacrifices and a 30% battery increase. Who wouldn't want that.

I agree, the battery IMO last well. I get all day, similar to yours, all sync, all push, 4 email accounts, WIFI/BT on and get about 4hr 30mins screentime on auto brightness and have about 20% left at the end of the day. My N4, SGS3, SGS4 all would need charging during the day

9. Johnbu

Johnbu Member

My first andriod also.

My gripes are the camera, slow to focus and slow shutter speed- forgot about taking a photo of a moving toddler. I read this will be addressed in the update.

Also sound from the speaker isn't very loud, especially from YouTube.

I also found its not has developed as iOS, little things like phone numbers in emails can't be dialed by tapping on the number. Instead you got to highlight the number, copy it and the paste it in the phone.

What is with the Google location thing sucking the life out of the battery. Can't andriod have a mode where it will not search for your location unless you open Google maps or some other app which requires your location.

Before I used android, I was led to believe that andriod was superior in every well. I think they can learn a lot from apple.

I find it also struggles with PDFs, MSY PDFs are slow to scroll etc.

But I love the screen and the fact I can drag and drop virtually any movie format and it will play on the phone.

All in all for $470 it's a bargain.

10. Carey

Carey Member

Yeah the location thing is annoying.

In regards to the email / phone number thing, I believe apple has a patent on that, and sued Samsung / google. So unless some legal issues are sorted, I don't think it'll be included.

11. 2SHY

2SHY Member

You should be able to turn Location to Off in Settings, I believe.

12. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

KitKat 4.4.1 which has been released should resolve your camera issue.

You can turn off the GPS from the power widget and "always scan for location, even when wifi is off" in the WiFi settings.

13. Johnbu

Johnbu Member

Yeah I know I can turn it on and off, but it gets old very quickly.

It's illogical that it doesn't have an option to turn on GPS only when you open Google Maps or some other Sat Nav app.

I don't need GPS running in the background so the phone is constantly telling me how far from home or work I am. Sure it's a good gimmick except for the fact that the phone has pretty poor battery life already.

14. Gnatty

Gnatty Member

Invest in Tasker (app). Lets you add a lot of functionality in, including things like turning on gps when certain apps are opened (such as maps)

15. andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

iOS is fine if you have the latest phone. If you have a slightly older phone then it's an utter lag fest.

Certainly iOS is easier for older people to use, no doubt.

The good thing about android is there's pretty much a way around anything. Your GPS problem for example:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wolfgangknecht.gpswidget&hl=en

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.curvefish.widgets.gpsonoff&hl=en

Also wow.. for a shitty little backwater town like the one where I live, this is simply staggering:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/671145720

16. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Faster than what I get in Melbourne CBD + Melbourne inner city.

Thanks Telstra you bunch of crooks.

17. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Get rid of Google Now?
    I have GPS "on" all the time in settings, but actually only comes on when I need it (maps, etc), so no battery drain or toggle inconvienience either..

18. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

I keep going back to Google Now thinking it'll be useful.

19. kogi

kogi Member

20. smoothunit

smoothunit Member