Google Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P 2015

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Danske, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Danske

Danske Member

Well because I'm being a sook, I'm making a thread about rumours/thoughts on 2015 Nexus.

Will it be smaller than the Nexus 6?
    Will it be bigger than the Nexus 6?
    Will it be cheap like all Nexus predecessors?
    Will it have a notable feature upgrade?
    Will it blend?

My predictions:

Yes it'll be smaller (either go back to 5'' or 5.5''). It'll be cheaper (<$800), I think Google messed up big time with the Nexus 6, not a single Nexus convert I know has bought a Nexus 6 because it's a: too big, and b: too expensive.

I'd say whatever we do get in October/November 2015, it will have a notable upgrade in battery life and battery management performance due to the new chipsets and a whole years worth of Lollipop tweaks.

Screens are pretty much all spot on these days, not sure how they can dramatically improve on them, maybe increase DPI/PPI, maybe an even better camera too.

And yes it will most definitely blend.

EDIT: 17 August 2015 - Latest leak image of Nexus 5 2015 http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=16823860&postcount=78
    EDIT: 17 August 2015 - Potential timeline on announcement and release: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=16823997&postcount=82

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  2. xplod140

xplod140 Member

I think they should start with a new model naming convention, to differentiate the phones from the tablets.

3. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

But the idea was the "Nexus" line :p. It's all meant to be vanilla android.

4. thecondor

thecondor Member

From my understanding motorola are making the next nexus so will be interesting to see what they come up with this time.

You say its too big a lot of other people say its perfect.

I owned one (just sold it last week) and yes it was too big for me. But that wasn't the thing that made me sell it. It was the horrible battery life. I was just running stock and couldn't get through a full day. The nexus 6 still seems to be selling like hotcakes.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with as the moto x 2015 model is expected to be announced sooner rather than later. So motorola will want to differentiate between that and the new nexus (if im right and Motorola make the device).

I do much prefer Motorola making the nexus device over Lg though. The nexus 5 felt like a little play toy rather than a phone. The Nexus 6 build quality was really nice. Just a shame that high res screen sucked the shit out of the battery.

5. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Oh yeah I don't deny some people say it's a perfect size. Hell I reckon the Nexus S was a perfect size, but I've grown to like the screen real estate on the Nexus 5. Sure it can be cumbersome using with one hand sometimes but i've adjusted to it. The pros far outweigh the cons. Would definitely not want to get anything bigger.

For whatever 2015 model comes out, I would prefer Google do what Apple did and have other two versions. One for the phablet sympathisers and one for the not-so-phablet folks.

What phone did you swap to from the N6? And has the battery life been better?

6. StevOz

StevOz Member

7. thecondor

thecondor Member

I bought a oneplus one. Battery life is miles better. And the size is better for me. But apart from that I prefer the nexus 6 ( nexus 6 is probably best phone I have ever used/had, and I have had a lot)

For me the perfect size phone was the moto x 2014 model, and its a fantastic phone. Its major downfall also is its small battery, I was only getting half a day or so out of it so I had to move on.

And I agree, I would love for two versions of the nexus. A phablet and a roughly 5" model for the rest of the market. Honestly Google wouldn't be able to keep up supply.

8. kha-khees

kha-khees Member

You must have even smaller hands than me! I thought i'd find the n5 too big but adjusted pretty quickly to it after a 4s. Before I got it I cut a block of wood to size to try walking around in my pocket, etc.

I actually just want something in iphone 5 proportions with up to date specs. I've come to believe that processors don't need to progress as fast as they do in phones, the more important thing is battery life/screen quality combo.

9. minushuman

minushuman Member

My guess is a refresh of 5 this year, refresh of 6 next year etc.

5 would stay the same form factor but will get a facelift, faster internals, maybe some other magic.

Fingers crossed as my 5 is looking a little shabby now.

10. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Hope so man.

I'm just trying to think what the next best thing a mobile can have is. Other than better camera/battery/etc/etc.

Fingerprint scanner OK I guess, but it just seems they put so much effort into designing this scanner and it just seems like a meh thing lol.

11. miicah

miicah Member

Nexus 5S.. 5A? They can't call it a Nexus 7. I would love to see a return to the original Nexus ideals (Good hardware, low price) but I understand if that is no longer viable - or needed - for Google.

12. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

I would prefer a 6inch screen with qhd, I have a nexus 5 and think it's too small tbh.

whatever they release, as long as the price is right. people will buy

13. kix

kix Member

I hate apple and I now hate android as well.

The reason I got the nexus was the immediate updates. Now Telstra has fucked that up somehow by not allowing the phone to update when google releases the software.
    I don't understand why apple is the only company that refuses to allow telcos to put their bloatware on/ wait for firmwares?
    Why don't google,samsung,sony etc do the same thing???

I'm thinking of just getting the iphone next (just thinking :shock:)

14. minushuman

minushuman Member

Hmm, I didn't realise the 5 has been basically out of stock for the last couple of months and that Google has purportedly stopped production

Just went to buy another one but apparently they were in stock for like one day in Feb before "selling out" again

15. yoink

yoink Member

If you insert a different SIM, eg: optus, you'll get the update quicker. :thumbup:

16. kix

kix Member

Yeah I ended up doing that, but that's not the point.
    I bought it directly from google. So telstra shouldn't have anything to do with it.

17. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Logically they should just keep the standard Nexii numbers and start adding years or as you mentioned letters on the end. But who knows hey. Letters work too.

So I reckon in Oct/Nov we'll probably see a new Nexus 5 (and maybe a 6 too), and probably another tablet. If they were smart and want to keep their fanbase they'd release a cheap 5.

I've got the same feels. I dunno if I can handle going back to iOS though. Love the iphones physically, but iOS is just so blurgh.

My disdain for 5.0/Lollipop is about the same though so I think I'm in a lose lose situation haha.

18. kix

kix Member

Everyone I speak to, I tell them "android is the bomb, just plug in the pc and go!!. Not like shitty apple"

But for the last few years, I just use the phone to make calls,sms, take a few snaps. I don't think I have even plugged it in my pc. Anything I need off the phone, I just email it to myself and download it to my pc. I don't buy apps or keep music on the phone.

So I don't even know why I bother with a more customizable operating system like android.:o

19. StevOz

StevOz Member

I'd like to own a nexus 8 2015, with a side edge to edge screen, it would be the same size as the Nexus 7 2013. A quality 1920x1200 is all you need, just throw a reasonable 64 bit quad in there, with ddr4 memory and fast sd 32/64GB options and keep it within a budget bang for buck, total win!

Dare I suggest Samsung could do this though I doubt that would happen, all rumours point toward...Huawei at the moment and they could very well deliver the exact same specs for the next nexus 5.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  20. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Will be interesting if Huawei make the cheaper model and LG/Motorola make the beefier model:

http://www.gsmarena.com/google_migh...ei_for_a_2015_nexus_smartphone-news-11355.php

I like the look of this, if it wasn't 5.5inch.