Google Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P 2015

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Danske, Feb 18, 2015.

1. millsy

millsy Member

So my 5x randomly died this morning, no idea what happened. Hit snooze on the alarm, fell asleep a bit, woke up and it's dead.

2. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

Leave it off for a couple of days, chuck it on the charger & attempt to turn it on. My wife's randomly died a few weeks ago & i was trying to get rma done & dwi wanted a video to show it not working, went to record it & the thing turned on wtfffff

When it wasn't turning on, it wouldn't even show a charge light if i plugged it in.

3. millsy

millsy Member

Yeah that's what mine has, flashed a red one yesterday so I plugged it in but no joy. I got mine from google so I shall have to contact them :(

*edit*
    Contacted them and they're sending me out a brand new one, honouring the warranty from when I bought it in Europe. Can't complain about that!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  4. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

What's the warranty period on the 6p? Tis an optus handset and has some of the contract period remaining.

I have the lovely battery drain and 20% shut off problem everyone is raving about.

I have no problem doing an ebay battery replacement I'd just rather not.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  5. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Officially I believe it's 12 months if purchased direct or off plan, or 24 months if on a post paid plan from the local providers.

I did a battery swap on my wife's Nexus 6P this week. Battery cost $12 and arrived in 3 days. It was a little bit of a pain to change but nothing too crazy. It probably took about 30 minutes from start to finish. Made a world of difference. Her one was under warranty but I figured $12 and 30 minutes of my time is better than 1-2 weeks with Optus.

6. treeplant

treeplant Member

Do you used one of those exploding battery from ebay or the manufacturer battery that can't buy to public?

7. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

It's an ebay battery. I'm sure it's a bit of a lucky dip but I'd be very, very surprised if mine wasn't genuine. I spent a good 10 minutes looking at them both side by side under a magnifying glass and there was nothing to suggest the new battery wasn't genuine.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182404331151?ul_noapp=true

(Worth noting that the image in that listing is of a non genuine battery but the one I received was indistinguishable from the original)

8. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I was looking at that one before, if you notice further down in the listing either the battery is much lower capacity than OEM or they did a bad copy pasta job

9. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Yeah the ad is riddled with errors but the battery I got is the proper 3450mah.

In retrospect I'm surprised I bought it through that listing, but it worked out fine in the end.

Accubattery reports battery health at 100%+

10. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Sweet, will trust your testimony. Ordered.

11. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Any luck?......

12. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Been meaning to come back here. Works great. Not quite 4h screen on time but no more early shut off.

Huawei branding on the actual battery that arrives

Difficulty of change over is about the same as a recent iPhone if you've ever had to do one. Took me about 30 mins

13. di_entropy

di_entropy Member

So my wife has been using my old 6P and it started boot looping on the weekend, unable to recover it even after factory reset.

Was originally purchased through Google back in October 2015.

Spoke to Google support and explained the issue, they said they are sending a replacement out free of charge (well they still hold an authorisation charge on the credit card), and I just need to send back the faulty one with their supplied shipping label and they will remove the authorisation charge.

I'm pretty happy. The whole thing talking to Google support took only 2 minutes, didn't even have to ask for a replacement. Thought it would not have been covered under warranty any more but happy with the result. :thumbup:

14. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Yeah it wouldn't normally be covered by now, but I believe they're in the middle of a class action law suit re: the boot looping so they're probably trying to avoid adding any more claimants to that... lol

15. jhunt31

jhunt31 Member

About to send off my Nexus 5X for repair... ~14 months old, started boot-looping on the weekend. Replaced it with a Moto Z Play before I discovered it has a 2 year warranty.... :Paranoid: liking the Moto anyways! Awesome battery life and much faster.

16. Imitation

Imitation Member

6P here. I'm down to 70% capacity 2406 mAh. Shuts down between 15 - 20 % as well. I get about 1.5 hrs SOT.

I thought about Optus as it's still under warranty with them but I dunno. Dealing with Optus makes me want to blow my brains out. Has anyone heard of Optus fixing the battery under warranty? Either way this battery is almost toast I'll do it myself if I have to. I'd just be pissed if I fix it myself and then a week later I get a boot loop...

17. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

I think they will take it and send it off. I've dealt with them for bootloop and other issues and it took about a week to get it replaced.

I'd say the phone shuts off randomly at 30-40% and it's a safety issue. I.E if you're out and it shuts off randomly you could be stuck without the ability to call 000 etc.

They may say it's a software issue (they tried that on when I complained about the battery to Huawei), but I'd remind them it's been an issue for at least 4 months and they haven't released any updates so it's unacceptable.. If you push I'm sure they'll give you a replacement phone...

18. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Just installed the android O beta, will report back on how it runs on the old 6p later tonight... or when someone reminds me.

19. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Okay... thoughts so far.

1. battery stats are muuuuch better, reporting is pretty damn good now and estimates for life and charge times are solid
    2. doze has gone absolutely crazy, phone feels like total shit for a good 15 seconds after unlocking now, presumably it enters doze much more aggressively than before as part of google's push for battery life increases
    3. new animations feel good, I hope they eventually shorten the animation times so I don't perpetually have to go into dev mode to halve them.
    4. performance in general feels slightly worse than before, possible because we're in release previews.

20. money_killer

money_killer Member

My thoughts on o
    Battery is better
    My recpection seems better (I work remote)
    I like data toggle
    Face lift is good
    Seems to reboot quicker
    Messages new gif
    Gmail email new quick reply
    Can't seem to find system clear cache

I'm happy with it a final release will be good just a few apps are random crashing etc due to the update as expected