Google Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P 2015

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Danske, Feb 18, 2015.

1. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Update on the O beta:

My battery life is worse than ever, and the phone is super slow and unresponsive.

I think something in the background is chewing heaps of CPU time. Haven't tried a reboot yet... will do that.

2. mtw

mtw Member

Well fuck, my 6P just randomly went into a bootloop. Nothing I can do seems to work, and all search results indicate that it's a hardware issue and cannot be resolved on the customers side...

FFS. Not happy.

EDIT: I purchased direct from Google back when I was living in Aus. Hopefully they help out, otherwise I now have an expensive paperweight and need to buy a new phone. Which would really suck as nothing out right now appeals to me.

3. Dalork

Dalork Member

Hope Huawei come to the party like LG is, sorry to hear your 6P is mucked up. Mines still been rock solid

http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-nexus-5x-bootloop-lawsuit-dropped-775465/

4. millsy

millsy Member

I recently had to RMA my 5x in Aus, and I bought it in NL. They honored the 2 years warranty, but sent me the wrong colour. When I called to ask what the story was they said they were out of my colour, but if I wanted I could use the wrong colour until the right one came in stock and they'd exchange it. Pretty good imo!

5. mtw

mtw Member

I haven't received any response yet, pretty disappointing... Not even an auto-response acknowledging receipt.

6. millsy

millsy Member

I didn't faff around with emails, just use their form on the support page to organise an auto call back. I usually got one within a minute or so.

7. di_entropy

di_entropy Member

Just use live chat support feature.

Within 2 minutes they offered to send me out a replacement handset without even asking.

8. mr626

mr626 Member

Had a quick search of this thread but couldn't find anything:

Do any 5X owners have issues connecting to wifi?

A co-worker has a 5X, and it just won't connect to any of our networks here (says 'authentication error' but I know the password is correct). He says he has the same problem at home too.

Running stock android 7.1.2

9. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

has he tried rebooting it?

10. mr626

mr626 Member

Yeah, reboot doesn't fix. I got him do to a factory restore and it looks like that has helped.

11. millsy

millsy Member

I would often get that with ad-hoc wifi hotspots I created.

12. Imitation

Imitation Member

Took it in to an Optus shop today (screw chatting or calling). Chick said she can't see any reason they would deny the warranty. So hopefully I get back a decent phone.

It had started turning off at ~ 50+% level now and Accubattery estimate was down to 2350 mAh. With a decent screen brightness I could watch the battery drop 2% at a time every few minutes.. then charge it up and watch it go up 10-15% in about a minute.

13. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Just had a update push out to my 6p last night. Everything normal until 30 mins ago it shits itself and goes into a bootloop. Fucking brilliant. Bootloader is locked too so I can't try some alternative fixes and I have minimal patience for fucking around with things.

14. millsy

millsy Member

You can unlock the bootloader via fastboot but you're gonna nuke the data on the device I'm afraid if you do that

15. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Tried that just before to be presented with "failed (remote: oem unlock is not allowed)".

EDIT: Okay there is other stuff. I'll give it a crack later but I'm going to warranty it as the workaround I believe disables 4 cores?

Nuking doesn't bother me. A lot is synch'ed elsewhere or in the magical sky server. It's more time effort of having to re-setup that's annoying.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  16. millsy

millsy Member

Hmm that's weird, I don't have a 6p though so I can't comment, on my 5x the process was pretty straightforward.

17. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

There are ways around it seems just means more downloading and prepping instead of some quick file acquisitions, run something and I'll be there in 10 minutes.

I'm just not patient with these things and have a disdain for hoop jumping to get to an end goal. I expect shit to just work.

18. TomJ

TomJ Member

Was it the 8.0 Oreo update? I just had that pushed 2 days ago. I've never had a bootloop problem with my 6P but see people have on XDA.

19. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Nah, just the August update I think. Was only 30MB so not big enough for a new version.

20. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

It was probably unrelated to the update but rather the known bootloop hardware issue. If it's under warranty return it.

There is a fix by disabling certain cores but you need unlocked bootloader. But you can't unlock bootloader unless you've enabled the option to unlock in developer options. But you can't do that unless you can boot :)