Google Nexus 6 32/64GB with Lollipop (From $869 AUD)

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Oppressa, Oct 12, 2014.

1. berry580

berry580 Member

I'm not saying android isn't good, I'm saying android isn't PERCEIVED to be better than ios by most. And guess what? The majority of the population don't flash their phones.

We/you represent the minority. That means low market representation, meaning in other words, they care more about about what a 50 year old mum things then what a 18 year old geek thinks.

Think about it, who is selling more phones?
    Apple or HTC?
    Samsung or LG?

2. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

Globally, android are selling more phones than iOS based devices by a country mile, who cares about manufacturer. Yes, my point about flashing only applies to enthusiasts, but at least the option is there on an Android device and Nexus devices are, generally speaking, the easiest to root and the most supported platform when it somes to aftermarket ROMs. Vanilla android is by far superior to skinned alternatives such as Samsung's Touchwiz.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  3. berry580

berry580 Member

More importantly, who makes a better margin? People tends to pay more for what one considers to be better.

4. flu!d

People tend to pay more for a fashion accessory. Apple is by no means better, more controlled maybe, but by no means whatsoever better.

The fact remains that globally Android outsells iOS.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  5. berry580

berry580 Member

Better or otherwise is a subjective thing perceived by others. I believe in the real world, people give their honest rating with where their money goes.

According to business insider Australia, Apple alone collects over 80% of the entire smartphone's profit. While Samsung and apple takes over 100% of the entire smartphone industry's profit. Yes, over 100%. How does that work? It's because some of the other vendors are making a loss, and if the trend continues, we should see some big brands name leaving the smartphone game. And those massive market share really means nothing at the end of the day to most, except Google themselves.

6. berry580

berry580 Member

Perhaps Google understood this, thus they're now wanting to help other vendors target to the upper end of the market? Thus the pricing strategy as well as their software improvements (e.g. material design) that helps creates a more consistent experience and thus better PERCEPTION to the users. I can't stress it enough, technical superiority means nothing to everyday consumer, it is what they perceive that matters ONLY. Marketing 101, guys. That's why apples dual core equipped phone/tablet shoots down an entire sea of other phones and tablets with quad and octa core CPUs. Because apple device's user experience is overall PERCEIVED to be better than the rest. It's difficult to argue against where most people with money are putting their money on.

7. SuzyCreamcheese

SuzyCreamcheese Member

No they don't. Thats why marketing departments exist. Consumers don't know factually what the best product is, or why their product isn't as good as another; only their perception of why it is. The only metric that you can quantify from sales, or profit margin, is the popularity of a product. Whether that's a result of quality, necessity or otherwise, is harder to figure out.

The issue with their entire (frankly, stupid) argument, is that it treats the customer as this creature thats identical to every other customer in every way.

Product segmentation exists for a reason. The most important feature, or set of features to a iphone 6 buyer is going to be different to that of a Z3c buyer. Because they both consumers are likely to have a different expectation of what their phone should have.

One thing Apple users don't consider important is mass storage. Does that mean mass storage isn't important? Nope. It just means, apple users are willing to forego that feature for others. Android arguably gets a lot more phone for the price, Does that mean android is better value? Not necessarily, because Apple clearly has a user base that justifies the cost for what they get in the product.

And there you have the reason for apple making most of the dough. Their consumers find the feature set, justified in its pricing. Apples market research people discovered several decades ago that if they price their product a certain way above the market average for a halo product; they give the illusion of a premium quality to it. If they drop to the average, they lose that perception. If they go too high, consumers are likely to be shunned.

The reason why iPhones are priced as such, is because their is the price that apple make nominal profit.

What makes Apple unique, is that this is very rare in the technological sector. It's more common in luxury goods, where the purchases are generally less rational.

8. flu!d

The fact remains that the Apple product is not a better product for the money, it offers nothing that cannot be achieved under Android, in fact under Android you have less limitations and can achieve more with the same satisfying experience.

For less outlay....

9. SuzyCreamcheese

SuzyCreamcheese Member

Some people prefer a platform they can't fuck with, for fear of doing some (perceived) irreversible damage. And if it does happen, you send it to the "Genius Bar", and fork out whatever it is, and they fix it.

You may not agree that it has value to it; but for consumers, peace of mind is a more satisfying experience.

10. flu!d

Can't argue with this point, totally agreed that for many this is the case.

11. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Are they ever going to let people buy this phone?

Also, Lol at the lack of nerd rage from android fans who are usually itching to buy the next gen.
    Almost a month with no talking in this thread.

12. flu!d

My Nexus 5 with Android 5.0 is doing so well that I see no need to purchase a Nexus 6....

13. thecondor

thecondor Member

I think everyone has givin up on this device. You literally can't get the international version. You can maybe get the US version but it lacks the 700mhz bandwidth.

14. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

People who have had 4g can't go back. Still, not for the extra $400

I don't understand why the long wait. Do they want people to find alternatives?

I wish we got the moto droid turbo in aus

15. lionman

lionman Member

6 inches is too big for a phone.

Unless your 7 feet tall, then its probably perfect.

Google dropped the ball on this device. If they had kept it under 5.5 inches it would have been better.

I also think they should have kept it at 1080p to keep costs down.

Meh, 4G is overkill for phone use in my opinion. I don't think it makes that much difference for Facebook and web browsing which is what the majority of people use their phones for. Maybe it makes a difference for HD video streaming but 3G is adequate on a phone.

Its very useful on a real computer though when you may actually upload large files from time to time. If you upload lots of phone pics then maybe its useful on a phone. In Aus we don't get enough quota for it to be terribly useful though.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  16. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

For a developer phone going to a 2K screen makes sense, as does including features like 4g. They aren't essential for daily use, but if you're getting one of these for what it's supposed to be designed for, they're necessary inclusions. Hard to test for what your device doesn't support.

17. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

The market, their competition, and sales figures disagree with all your points. If you want a budget phone there are plenty of options for you. The moto G for example is I'd argue the best phone on the market for quality and value. Why do they have to fit into a specific market just for you when there is already plenty on offer. You know where there isn't a lot on offer? Super high end big screened phones. What a nice niche that would be to dominate.

Also, they already have a 1080p phone at an affordable price. Why do you want them to make the same phone twice. The market is already so stagnant with that shit happening year after year. We accuse a fruit company of doing exactly that year after year.

18. lionman

lionman Member

You can improve screen in more ways than just more resolution/size. There are plenty of other features which can be enhanced from one generation to another also.

Camera can be improved, SOC upgraded, software enhancements, battery life list goes on.

I don't mind that Google have a large screen device, It's nice for there to be competitor to the Note 4, but I hope its not at the expense of an update to the Nexus 5...

I think most criticisms of fruity companies is on their software innovation no their hardware.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  19. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

I doubt it'll truly be at the expensive of the N5. Rather they just realise that a yearly update cycle that other companies impose is silly when your current offerings are still pretty great. I suspect we will see a new N5 in the future. Perhaps alternating yearly or 6 monthly between the N5 and the N6. People keep their phones for 2 years. Why not release new gear 2 years apart.

20. mils1

mils1 Member

People buy yearly, but the nexus 6 is twice the price and by the time it comes to our shore it will be old tech.