Google Nexus 6 32/64GB with Lollipop (From $869 AUD)

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Oppressa, Oct 12, 2014.

1. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Well, you're comparing a price for something this year compared to last year. Prices have always gone up
    Plus this is the year of premium nexus quality and prices. So can't compare to previous models

I was talking about same year and same line of products

Overall tho. I do agree there was no need to change to a premium line with the price tag. Maybe this is what Google needed to do to keep itself alive in the market.

Phone prices are getting ridiculous, considering it's a product with a shelf life of 1 year and costs close to $1k..
    If a salesmen at Jb Hi Fi said, pay 1k for this sound system, however you'll probably need to upgrade next year to keep up to date with next year's music. We'd all slap that guy in the face.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  2. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Can see gray market importers filling the gap until the price drops. Will still be priced above the 699USD mark. I think.

3. Treggs

Treggs Member

I'm just comparing the on release prices which should be a reasonably fair comparison as they should reflect when the technology is the most expensive to produce. Obviously gets cheaper with tech improvements and volume.

Your sound system analogy is spot on though. If you compare capabilities of an N5 with lollipop and an N6, you get 90% of the features for half the price if you purchase either now. The value in the N5 is still there. It's good the N6 exists but it's just not aimed at the typical nexus buyer. Either Google have misread their customers or they are trying a different strategy. Probably the latter. More profit in selling phones on contract for manufactuers and telco's.

4. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

At this price.. Note 4 is better IMHO. Only thing nexus has going for it is the software support which is big but I think a lot of those that were holding out is going to skip it. Gonna head over to wp to see everyone going off lol

5. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Living up to the Whingepool name.

That said, I'm quite keen on the Nexus 6. Gotta wait until gray importers have a good price for it.

6. Zee

Zee Member

Perhaps they are trying to offer a premium phone for those that want "vanilla" Android without having to root/flash etc...

I had a quick play with a client's SGS5 yesterday, and I felt like I was watching commercial TV, it was just a shocking experience.

I'm currently using an iPhone 5, was using SGSII and SGS4 mini previously, both of which ended up on Cyonagen roms because I hated the Sammy bloat. Seems they are making it worse each iteration. I can see this being a phone targeted at people like me who would like a "nicer" phone, but don't want the bloat. Except I hate phones larger than ~4.5"...

I know I'd certainly consider a 4.5" version were one offered.
    Z...

7. yellows2k

yellows2k Member

does the nexus phone usually drop in price after a few months? like samsung does with their phones?
    my note 2 is still decent, it gets a little laggy sometimes though, and i would really like the nexus 6 cos of the screen size. but the note4 seems like a better buy

8. Sledge

Sledge Member

No, the only time a nexus phone drops in price is at EOL if they need to get rid of the final stock.

9. berry580

berry580 Member

Nexus line is made for developers to use as reference models, and not to intended to undercut Google's PARTNERS and destroy the market, which is what's going to happen if they continue their low pricing strategy.

Similar to iPads and iPhones, phones always costs more because of technical reasons assuming the two models are in the same class/grade. Also, there's typically a premium to pay for cutting edge stuff, REGARDLESS you're getting 100% more over last year's model or 0.5%. That's just the nature of technology products.

10. DarkStyle

DarkStyle Member

Thank you for posting a cognizant thought on the Nexus Price-Point issue.

11. James086

James086 Member

The Nexus phones are a developer-phone first and a consumer-phone second. They are definitely capable of being a consumer device, but Google isn't trying to make a massive profit on them and doesn't advertise them much accordingly. This is the reason there won't be a smaller version released alongside the Nexus 6.

12. ice_cool

ice_cool Member

needed a new phone. was holding out for the nexus 6, but with this price probably get a nexus 5

13. Ryno_89

Ryno_89 Member

14. Khalil

Khalil Member

15. Ryno_89

Ryno_89 Member

Yeah I'm thinking the same. I don't know if I trust kogan

16. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

So won't we save quite a bit by ordering from the USA and forwarding to Aus?

17. archie

archie Member

If you are happy with 3G here then its okay.
    If you want 4G LTE, the US version does not support the majority of the AU frequencies.

18. Khalil

Khalil Member

Good point. It looks like Kogan is selling the US version too

19. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

:confused:

People complaining at the US$699 price, suddenly AU$859 for a grey import is ok?

20. rockuman_ex

rockuman_ex Member

decided to grab the note 4 instead...

disappointed with nexus 6 prices... :upset: