Google Nexus 7 2012: Quadcore Tegra, Android 4.1, 7'' IPS, HSPA+ $249/$299/$349

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Danske, Jan 3, 2012.

1. bleAf!

bleAf! (Taking a Break)

Likewise. I ordered on Sat as well and it's at Alexandria now. I feared a possible delay when I saw the news report about the typhoon in HK had intensified and as a result, all flights had been cancelled.

My estimated delivery says tomorrow but I'm just hoping for late arvo today.

2. arytel

arytel Member

Cheers, I think I found some apps that would be suitable but I am trying to use that as a justification to purchase one :D

3. bueller

bueller Member

Definitely agree with dualmassager, this thing is perfect for day to day use. Biggest thing that kept me from buying an iPad is the size, there's no way I'd haul one around with me for day to day use but the N7 is the perfect fit.

4. oodles

oodles Member

Yeah its a brilliant size, and the $25 free google play is awesome, bought like 5 games just now and still have $19 left.

5. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

its funny, I used to lug around a 15" lappy and I was fairly happy doing so with a lappy backpack, the I change to a shoulder bag and found it too heavy.

I was wrapped when I got my teg2 tablet but ended up carrying around both, then got my prime which replaced both and eventually I shrunk down to a smaller carry bag.

Now I'm sitting here realizing I can leave my prime at home cos my nexus is more then adequate for day to day stuff and I could shrink my bag further if I want to.

I know it doesn't sound all that exciting to read but to me is freaking awesome.

that aside, I wanna ask
    danske; are you getting just one of those pouches off ebay or buying several? I've been looking for 7" pouches and can't find them anywhere near me

6. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Mine was posted off yesterday and has an ETA for the 26th. I've been hearing a lot of good things in here and in many other places, so excited to be getting mine. :D

7. wisie

wisie Member

I grabbed one of these for my Nexus as a short term case. Should do the trick.

8. Carey

Carey Member

Just ordered a 16GB from Google Play - I noticed it said 'In Stock' again so bit the bullet. Looking forward to it!

9. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

I bought one of those sleeves I linked earlier for like $7. Basically, it's just a piece of wetsuit material to slip my N7 in when I chuck it in my gym bag.

Ideally I'd like to get something a bit better looking, maybe even custom made leather pouch or something, but atm there's sweet fuck all out there in the local scene. So this will do me fine for now.

Every shop I went into in the CBD basically just gave me blank looks and said in an Asian accent "Ipad?" im like "no i just want a case/cover/sleeve for ANY 7'' tablet, it doesnt matter what, ipad is 10''" their response: "ipad?". Fuckgrgjretgjret4idkgk.

10. bueller

bueller Member

I'm having the same problem, can find pouches for the normal kindle but they don't fit and everything is 10". Probably just get one from B&H when I put my next order in for camera stuff I suppose.

11. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

the one wisie linked looks quite nice, I was wondering though cos I'm slack if you had ordered more the one I might've been able to coax you into selling me one :lol:

its all good, I might see if I can get something nice listed a at work for these :)

my main concern is minimisng scratches

12. KappA

KappA Member

I ordered my 16gb from the Play store this morning at 10:30am and just got shipping notification! Can't wait.

13. /\pocalypse

/\pocalypse Member

Second app recommendation to share, DataSync. Great if you have both an Android phone and tablet, especially if you like gaming over the two devices.

Free version does most things you need but there is also DataSync+ with a few extra features.

14. Smakked

Smakked Member

Going to buy one in the morning MSY have them for $319 WooHoo

15. mortal

mortal Member

Looks like the Samsung galaxy note 10.1 is going to be released shortly. I'll have to get one :) Nexus 7 might not get used as much.

16. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

I'll likely do what I normally do for any of my gadgets and get a Gelaskin for it. Will likely put a custom design on it like I usually get and put a screen protector on the front till I get my hands on a decent case for it.

17. htpcfan

htpcfan Member

if you buy this from a store, do you still get the preloaded content and $25 Google Play store credit? thanks in advance.

18. bennyg

bennyg Member

Well I don't think I've seen a single ad that hasn't mentioned the $25 credit so I would say yes.

Since it is kind of one of the major things Google is trying to get us to do with the device. Get into the habit of buying streamed/DRMed shit, and not buy an iPad, that's probably objectives #1 and #2 for the Nexus 7.

Personally I don't know what I'll use it for. I've spent a total of $8 on apps across 3 tablets and 3 phones and half of that is the CC processing fee :sick:

19. bondy_112

bondy_112 Member

Mine shipped today! :D

20. Raolin

Raolin Member

Picked mine up from the FedEx depot yesterday afternoon. Haven't had much time to play with it as I was out last night, but so far - very impressed.

I'm not going to be able to stop myself from rooting. I realised after about 1 minute that most of the apps I use on my phone either require root access or I interact with them in some way via another app that does.

Spotted a decent looking slip pouch on ebay:

Click to view full size!

I figure for <$7 I can't go too wrong.

Edit: Link

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012