Google Nexus 7 2012: Quadcore Tegra, Android 4.1, 7'' IPS, HSPA+ $249/$299/$349

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Danske, Jan 3, 2012.

1. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

LINK that looks awesome!!!

edit: nevermind found it.

2. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Member

between the shitty hold music and the static-y voip line quality, i have to say that 20 mins of being on hold was fucking awful.

then when i finally got through to 'mike', i could barely hear him. hate this voip shit.

anyway, ordered a 16gb last night but realised i put my home address for shipping :wired: called to see if i could get them to change it but apparently there is a 1 hour window once you place the order, and outside of that, they can't do anything. :thumbdn: boo.

guess i'll call fedex once i have a tracking number.

3. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Glad I pre-ordered from EB games. No waiting around for delivery. Just wait for delivery for EB Games and save $18.00 as well.

4. bleAf!

bleAf! (Taking a Break)

Hooray! Fedex just turned up and I now have the Nexus 7 package in my hands.

Time to have some fun now. :)

5. Silent Remorse

Silent Remorse GAMING OVERLORD

Meh, overpriced and TouchWiz is bloody awful.

6. Imitation

Imitation Member

I got mine yesterday and set it all up.. then realised.. oh shit, I want root. Oops :) I have TabletTalk and DataSync running between phone and tablet and it's great.

My tablet is fine as far as the screen / fit and finish goes. The only problem I'm having is some distortion at the top 2 - 4 levels of volume which I'm not sure if I should actually be disappointed about or not. It happens even with the Proxima notification.

7. BeanerSA

BeanerSA Member

EEVBlog Teardown for those interested

8. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

hmm I max out volume and don't get distortion, I've only tried with xbmc so far, music or another player may fair differently.

9. bennyg

bennyg Member

I watched the free Transformers movie on it and the sound was pretty good in my headphones. Better than anything I have smaller than my 15 inch lappy.

I've got a black neoprene sleeve $3 and a light brown (fake) leather pouch $4 coming. Where else but from Chinebay.

10. DeNs

DeNs Member

Purchased this sleeve yesterday - looks like it'll be similar to this one which was posted above but will be interested to see whether it's got that fuzzy stuff on the inside like the brown "leather" one and what it looks like in black, rather than the grey in the images there. Hopefully will get here soon, being a local seller and all. The wait on the brown one is huge! Can't keep wrapping up my tablet in jumpers for that long :p

Mucking around with home screens:

[​IMG]
    Full size

---dens

11. mortal

mortal Member

Linky?

Price hasn't been released and not an issue (especially as its a premium product). And what does touchwiz have to do with it? No one uses touchwiz/htc sense, lol - I customise it to how I want (the reason for android......freedom).

edit:

Everyone seen this:

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/07/the-nexus-7s-display-stumbles-and-falls-short/

Maybe this will come in future google update or an XDA ROM?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  12. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  13. oodles

oodles Member

14. FuzzyKaos

FuzzyKaos Member

Bastards, this morning, the my nexus was at Alexandria, saying that it will be delivered tomorrow.

Delivered today, when I was not home, nice one tracking.

15. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

I just got my Nexus 7 an hour or so ago and I have no complaints about the display. HD content looks great, colour is good and the brightness isn't all in my face. I quite like it.

That said, I haven't had the "luxury" of an iPad3 that costs over double what I paid for my Nexus, so I guess I'm no educated well enough in the portable screen department. All I know is that a marginally better display would definitely not have pushed me over to an ipad.

16. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

I am interested in seeing that the nexus 7 screen is like as I am obsessed with the ipad3 and it's quality and reolution

makes many things look amazing. especially maps

17. bueller

bueller Member

I'm in the same boat. People can talk all they like about the various aspects of the iPad that make it worthwhile but the simple fact of the matter is nothing is going to get me to drop over $500 for a tablet. Considering I work in IT all day and spend most of my time at home in front of a computer my N7 will really only get used on holidays so $300 was the absolute limit for my budget.

18. FuzzyKaos

FuzzyKaos Member

the retina display that I had a look at looked wierd, it looks like going from 100% DPI to 150% DPI on windows. everything looks just that little bit out of place.

19. dualmassager

dualmassager Member

To be honest, the colour on the screen feels a little bland (compared to my Nexus S and my PC monitors). However, the awesomeness of the pixel density far outweighs it for me (for now).

20. /\pocalypse

/\pocalypse Member

I don't usually spend much time setting up fancy homescreens, but here is how I am currently set up using stock N7 with Apex Launcher. I'll root my tablet once Paranoid rom comes out to get some proper tablet UI happening.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

OCAU name replaced my actual name in the widget and calendar events cleared for the sake of screenshots.