1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Google Nexus 7 2012: Quadcore Tegra, Android 4.1, 7'' IPS, HSPA+ $249/$299/$349

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Danske, Jan 3, 2012.

1. BeanerSA

BeanerSA Member

Hmmm. Not sure whether to even get another one.

Update: got another one, updated fine. Let's hope it lasts. The wife wanted me to "just buy an iPad" , so I hope it doesn't bite me on the arse!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  2. BeanerSA

BeanerSA Member

So glad I got a new one and updated, 4.2.1 is cool !

3. Nafe

Nafe Member

I'm a little worried now, mine's coming up to 3 weeks old :Paranoid:

4. kieranluken

kieranluken Member

Got one of these in the boxing day sale... Using it much more than any other tablet i've had, seems to be going well :)

5. BeanerSA

BeanerSA Member

Just to clarify, it seems to be only the 32gb models which are affected. I'm loving mine after just half a day. Separate user profiles, huh. Take that Apple!

6. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I love that feature so much.

I'd spent a few hours rooting and setting up the 3rd party profile apps, that reboot your tablet each time. that very same night. "an update is available"...

Oh look, Native multi-user support :).

7. jumpy

jumpy Member

8. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Iron Photographer

yeah i saw that last night too. i seriously cannot understand why something as simple as a dock has taken so long to release. just bizarre.

anyway, i hadnt used my nexus for 6 weeks (various reasons). plugged it in to charge the completely-dead battery. it sat there sucking up juice for about 10 minutes, and then decided it should automatically turn on (even though it didn't have enough charge to keep it going). so, i hear a beep, followed by some rain/white noise. then nothing. i look at the nexus critically. 5 minutes go by, and this time i catch it. beep! sssshhhhhhhhhhhhh.... and on the screen are these multi-coloured speckles of pixels. then it dies again. it does this another 2 or 3 times over 15 minutes before finally being able to power up as per usual. go figure :Paranoid::lol:

so i installed the OTA update, all working well. anybody else suspect the battery life seems a little better?

9. kieranluken

kieranluken Member

Anyone doing anything interesting with theirs? I would ideally like to make more use of it given i just bought it...

10. wild

wild Member

I mostly use mine for Facebook/Twitter/Youtube, web browsing on the couch when I don't need a laptop, and things like looking up info when I'm doing mechanical work on my bikes or car. Pretty much most of the stuff I used to do on a laptop, I now just use the tablet. :D

11. BeanerSA

BeanerSA Member

Not really. I've used Drive to sync up a load of magazines and have paid for my faves on either Zinio or Play.

12. awaken

awaken Member

Had mine for a few days now, find myself using it more than the PC and laptop, mainly using it for Facebook, email, banking etc... Really like it.

Does anyone know/have any decent ideas for home screen widgets and what not.. I want a fancy home page :p

13. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

14. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Iron Photographer

it's fucked huh dan. i wanted to order a knicks basketball shirt from the knicks website. they're $35, which i think is fair for a sexy licensed product. how much was shipping quoted at? $35. fuck that, it weighs 300 grams tops. i don't need it shipped to me in a chariot made of platinum, pulled by two unicorns that shit diamonds, while the driver smokes rollies made from saffron :thumbdn:

15. goldpenis

goldpenis Member

Haha! Loved it!

16. andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

Hey,

Do these things work in landscape mode as well as portrait? Every review I see they hold it in portrait but I really hate portrait mode, I much prefer landscape? Can anyone confirm?

17. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Yes to all the above.

18. tzortst

tzortst Member

Very keen to install a nexus 7 in the car, but before I go out and purchase the tablet I want to be sure what I want to do can be done.

Plan to have nexus mounted in dash, connected to 500GB HDD using one of these to allow charging at same time, will this work?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OTG-Cabl...ccessories&hash=item3a7e3c66f5#ht_1101wt_1220

Next have all my music on the HDD and use something like google music or playerpro to play the music off the HDD, will these players see the HDD? Is the HDD treated the same as an SD Card?

Hopefully find an app that will sync the HDD with a samba drive on my network over wifi when the car is home, Any apps that will do this? I would want the whole process to be automated so I never need to unplug the HDD

Maybe this? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bv.wifisync&feature=search_result

Figure the battery should last the night to do these tasks and will be charge when driving.

Would probably use this to power it

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DC-Conve...gets&hash=item3f19b4dbbb&_uhb=1#ht_4184wt_923

Is this all possible?

19. wild

wild Member

Yes, it is possible.

For powering and connecting the 500gb HDD, see this page: http://mehrvarz.github.com/usb-host-mode-power-management-nexus7/

You will need to root the Nexus 7 (which is trivial using the Nexus Root Toolkit), then install a custom kernel.

20. tzortst

tzortst Member

Perfect, ordered all the stuff today apart from the tablet, will wait for a good deal...

Rooting isn't an issue, first thing I did when I got my nexus 4 was root and put on custom rom & kernel :D