Google Nexus 9 Tegra K1 2.3GHz/8.9" 2048x1536/16 or 32GB/Wi-Fi/LTE/6.7Ah

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Cpt.J.Sparrow, Oct 16, 2014.

1. berry580

berry580 Member

I thought the half price sale is only offered in the US.

Hey BastardChild, you using the tab without a screen protector?

2. Ron007

Ron007 Member

Available on the US site, nothing stopping anyone buying one and having it forward on. If you can get one for $199, then certainly worth it as far as I am concerned. :)

3. di_entropy

di_entropy Member

Got my white 32GB delivered yesterday.

First impressions are it's nice having the extra real estate and 4:3 is a lot better suited for browsing over the Nexus 7.

It is usually very fast, but at times does have a few stutters and the like when doing trivial things. Will most likely be fixed in future updates.

Camera is average but I rarely use it on a tablet anyway.

Speakers are good, not as good as the One M8 but definitely much nicer than the Nexus 7.

Overall I'm happy, but in terms of where it fits in the market I think it should have been priced $50-$100 lower.

4. berry580

berry580 Member

I tried to buy a regular priced One M8 from the HTC US site and....

All purchases must be billed and shipped to a valid mailing address in the 50 United States and the District of Columbia only. Shipments cannot be made to U.S. territories or possessions. Next Business Day and Next Business Day AM deliveries available for orders received before 1:00 PM Central, 2:00 PM Eastern, Monday through Thursday

Have I missed something?

5. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

Never bothered with screen protectors myself - it's like buying leather seats and then putting on seat covers.

You're just giving the next owner new seats.

In two years time this will be given away or sold for $50.

6. ronald_r32

ronald_r32 Member

Mail forwarding

7. archie

archie Member

Just check frequencies etc. If it supports what your carrier needs

8. berry580

berry580 Member

9. berry580

berry580 Member

I just signed up, paid the deposit hoping to get the new moto x with bamboo cover and shipito tells me Motorola doesn't ship po box address and freight forwarders. No answers that I can see about HTC, goods luck guys. Lol

10. Ron007

Ron007 Member

I won't be using a forwarding company or po box, so I won't have that issue. :)

The issue I"ll have is, they'll probably only be 100 available and getting one would be like winning lotto :p

So yeah good luck to anyone who tries.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  11. power

power Member

The reviews are really not good blah blah blah iPad this and that - ffs :(

Really wanted this to be better than it sounds like it is - I wonder what's pushed the price up and made the compromises sneak in.

Is it that screen or the K1?

12. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

As a galaxy S2 and dell u3011 user the screen is very good. Some report slight light bleed but I think that's being too picky.

What will sink this is the cost and limited memory/no SD. Very few have NBN for cloud storage and the average person doesn't do NAS.

This will go the way of the nexus 10.

HTC are making their own tablet next year, wait for the specs.

13. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

My Nexus 10, from memory, cost me around $500.00 once I got it delivered and it was only a 16GB model. Still can't understand all the ranting about price...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  14. Ron007

Ron007 Member

I think most the ranting on prices are due to the fact it's $110 extra for 16gb more storage. I think if HTC would have chosen 64gb instead of 32gb, then people would have been more than happy with paying that extra for the storage. When the n7 2013 model came out last year, it was only around $40 more to get the 32gb version over the 16gb, you'd think with time those prices would be coming down, not increasing by nearly 3 times the amount for the same thing. Then with the negative reviews about it having poor build quality, when Google was pricing it close to iPads because it supposedly offers premium good build quality, I guess most people's expectations were higher. I know I'd be happy to spend this much on the tab and consider it good value if it ticked all the boxes, but this tab doesn't tick all the boxes for me.

15. berry580

berry580 Member

I think I agree with 007 about people's expectation on its built quality due to its marketing. I think Google has its history on trying to sell things it cannot deliver. Nexus 5 has its rubbish camera, now the Nexus 9 has the questionable built quality. By most accounts, Nexus 9's speaker quality is inferior to the One M8's, I expect it to be the other way around.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  16. Treggs

Treggs Member

Nexus 5 doesn't have a rubbish camera, it had rubbish software driving it. I believe it's the exact same sensor in the iPhone 5s and lollipop software makes a huge difference.

I can comment on Nexus 9 build quality tomorrow :)

17. flu!d

And yet it is still considerably cheaper than the competing product!

There's nothing wrong with the camera on the Nexus 5, since the last few software updates I find it takes a fantastic photo.

In terms of questionable build quality regarding the Nexus 9, have you handled one? Let's not factor out personal bias in reviews, there is no qualification to be a reviewer and bias definatly plays a part in many reviews - It is for this reason I ignore them compleately.

18. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

Build quality is fine. The middle of the back panel pushes in about 2mm but I couldn't care less.

The black is not particularly grippy, I'd hate to own the slippery white.

19. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

Stuff me... Mine started it's journey to me on the 4th but has sat here:

since the 6th...

Gah! I want my precious.

20. flu!d

Well I missed mine today so have to wait until tomorrow....