Google Nexus 9 Tegra K1 2.3GHz/8.9" 2048x1536/16 or 32GB/Wi-Fi/LTE/6.7Ah

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Cpt.J.Sparrow, Oct 16, 2014.

1. berry580

berry580 Member

Kowloon Office, Hong Kong, 11/6/2014 6:33:00 PM, Received at Origin Facility

...for my order as well.

I think to be realistic, expecting it to arrive this week would be about right.

As with the Nexus 5 camera, it's picture quality is acceptable as long as the subject is static, in bright light or low light which I'm delighted about. What kills it is the inferior focusing speed, capturing anything that's moving is like winning lotto. Have you seen it's official advertisement about its camera? "Made to capture the moment that matters" - I feel cheated.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  2. le_p

le_p Member

The LTE HTC version has allegedly passed FCC and approved about 5-6 days ago. Hopefully it they will release it (very) soon........

3. Ron007

Ron007 Member

There's a couple of cheaper alternatives out there, the Xiaomi MiPad 64gb version is around $100 cheaper than the nexus 9 with similar hardware. The Shield tablet is $134 cheaper than the nexus 9, and has the benefit of expandable storage. i'd classify them as competing products, they perform similarly (perhaps the shield beats it in game performance) and are considerably cheaper than the nexus 9.

Edit: It doesn't even look that good of value compared to the current price (at time of writing this) you can pick up the 64gb version iPad Air 2. https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/169157

So for about $50 extra you get bigger screen, superior build quality, finger print scanner, better battery life, faster processor and an extra 32gb of storage.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  4. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

At 1920 x 1080 the shield runs far less resolution, it's also slightly smaller and appears to have a less powerful version of the Tegra processor, Nexus devices have never offered memory expansion so it is to be expected.

Chineese tablets are great, then factor in app incompatibilities and poor build quality and you'll regret the day you ever owned one - Been there, done that.

The 16GB Ipad air 2 is more expensive than the 32GB Nexus 9, it's that simple. Factor in an OS that is both limiting and controlling and for me the Ipad is not even a viable option.

5. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

Yup, agreed with the chinee tablet. This is going to replace a Ainol 10" hero... It's gonna be a revelation!

6. power

power Member

I was hoping this would replace my TF201, all the signs were there it would be able to come up with the goods but I think I'll hang back a bit.

Things I would miss.

sd card slot
    USB port
    aluminium finish
    bit of real estate 10 v 9
    battery life

Things I would gain

Screen res
    faster processor and faster onboard ram
    better speakers

Starting to wonder if ASUS are going to release a new Transformer soon.

7. 2SHY

2SHY Member

The problem I have is that most tablets/phones made today come with a paltry 16gb/32gb option.

The assumption made when making these tablets is that you stream your media, which isn't accurate when your music isn't in the cloud or if you do not want to use up your limited data allowance.

If you also play games in your device, they also take up storage space so that eats way available space. The games being made today aren't getting smaller, they are getting bigger.

This means that some things need to considered when you make a tablet purchase?

Can I upgrade storage space via SD Card/USB OTG?
    Is my media safe on the internet?
    Do I have the money/data plan to stream my data to my device?

Since, we are not in America with large capacity data plans we often do not want to wait to stream your media from the internet nor do you want to use your data plan up for it.

8. archie

archie Member

USB OTG has been confirmed to be working, according to a YouTube video.

9. flu!d

USB OTG works fine with Nexus Media Importer, I've tried it in my Nexus 9. Who stores media on their device these days?! That's so 'Apple'. Being an Android based device we transfer our media from PC to USB stick, plug the USB stick into our Android device and watch our media.

Being an android device we can even back up files and media from our tablet to PC using a Fat32 formatted USB stick.

10. power

power Member

meh, I prefer a real USB port - pipedream I know. USB OTG usually requires some crazy dongle cable adapter bullshit.

And card slots, under-rated imo especially on a 16GB device.

This comes at a time when Google have announced that SD cards are getting better treatment under L as well which makes no sd card slot even weirder.

11. flu!d

This is my third Nexus device, personally I've never missed the inclusion of an SD card slot, but each to their own. As far as full sized USB is concerned, I think you'll find that's something that is going to disappear in favour of micro USB - Having said that, my Nexus 10 used micro USB and I never had a problem using an OTG adapter. IMO it could be worse, you could have an Apple product with a manufacturer specific connector where the manufacturer controls how you actually use the connector.

I actually found SD to be a PIA under Android as I could never use it for additional apps storage the way I wanted to, so it's something I never missed.

12. archie

archie Member

Not anymore, now you can get a USB flash drive which is normal USB on one end, micro USB on the other.

13. flu!d

That's awesome, I want one!

14. archie

archie Member

Saw them even at my local office works.

15. Treggs

Treggs Member

Played with one tonight. Imagine a nexus 5 and an ipad had a baby and put lollipop on it. Lighter than I expected and all up it's pretty nice. None of the build quality issues mentioned by various tech blogs. I would be very tempted to buy one except my N7 2013 is basically getting no use at the moment so no point spending the money.

16. flu!d

I can confirm Xcom enemy unknown plays awesome on the Nexus 9.:thumbup:

17. wheelydude_13

wheelydude_13 Member

Received mine the other day, was an upgrade from an original N7.
    I haven't really had a chance to play around with it too much yet, but so far im happy with it. Build quality is honestly better than i expected after reading so many people badmouthing it - the back panel does go in a little bit, but barely a couple mm, nothing like what some people were saying. Lollipop is pretty damn cool as well

18. flu!d

My impressions of the Nexus 9 vs the Nexus 10?

First of all, the build quality. The nexus 10 certainly seems like the more solid device in this regard, however it is also substantially heavier than the nexus 9, making the nexus 9 the more comfortable device to use by far - Common sense dictates that this was probably the intention behind the slightly thinner rear panel and it makes the device so much easier to use that I welcome it.

Second of all, display size. Obviously the display of the Nexus 9 is smaller than that of the Nexus 10, it is also 4:3 and not 16:9. At first I have to admit that I missed the real estate of the Nexus 10, however, after using the Nexus 9 for a while I realize that when it comes to tablets a 4:3 display is far more suitable that a 10 inch display as apps just seem to be proportioned better, not only that but your thumbs fit better across the display making typing 'far' easier ( and yes, I tried the alternate keyboards on my Nexus 10). I'm beginning to adapt to the 9" display and I'm actually finding it more usable than the 10" display.

Speed....Bluntly, the Nexus 9 smashes the Nexus 10 all over the park...Like drills it.

OS? My Nexus 10 was running CM11, in my opinion making using and defiantly tweaking the device a far more pleasurable experience than standard android 4.4 alone, but Android 5 is just so pretty and flows so nicely with no jerking or juddering that I have to say it's the better OS by far - When Cyanogenmod bring out a modified Android 5 ROM I'll be all over it.

Battery life, so far about the same as my Nexus 10.

Speakers? So far I have to say they are compariable to my Nexus 10, and the speakers on my Nexus 10 were very good, as far as small, inbuilt speakers go. At least they are on the front of the device and not on one end on the rear like a certain competing product I know.

My only real gripe so far? Where's the damn notification LED? There's an LED there but it isn't working in regards to notifications, one thing I've always liked when comparing Android devices to Apple Devices is the addition of a notification LED, hopefully this is rectified in future software updates.

19. berry580

berry580 Member

I got mine yesterday, only spent about 2 hours on it and so far so good.

For people who wants a quality screen protector for their nexus 9, I have 1 available as the Celicious screen protectors crystal came in packs of 2 and I only used one. Pm me if you want it for $7 pick up or +$2 shipping

20. redav

redav Member

The wife and I have been talking about getting a tablet because my laptop is a bit slow at firing up and a tablet would me more comfortable when using on a couch. We've been really impressed with our Samsung S4's (but that wasn't hard considering that we were coming from HTC Wildfire's) so we thought we'd get a Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1.

A couple of people have recommended a Nexus 9 instead. The bulk of its usage would be wi-fi internetz and email at home, weather app and a few games like Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne. Does the Nexus 9 allow multi user as we'd both expect to use it separately? Would either be the smarter choice? Things like USB and SC card would be nice but not overly important. I'd probably be using a PC that uses anything like that. Mind you, movies on a plane could be handy. Not a fan of Samsung's bloatware though, especially when I can't remove or disable it.