Google Nexus S

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by hak, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Kyl3

Kyl3 Member

Bought it through an online store, unlocked from any characters... maybe it might?

2. mugginz

mugginz Member

Just upgraded to a Nexus S from a Ideos. Can't believe I waited so long to get one.

$510 for an unlocked smartphone of this standard I reckon is pretty good value.

While the Vodafone $29/month deal on it means you essentially get a free phone if you usually use that kind of money per month in calls, I like the freedom to be able to switch carriers at will so buying outright is the way I went.

With the Ideos I didn't even think about downloading any games - it didn't really have the grunt for it. That'll likely change now. :)

3. sanjay

sanjay Member

no, it wont.

only if you bought the AT&T version would it support 850mhz 3g. all the other versions, including the worldwide unlocked-unbranded versions, support 2100mhz/900mhz only.

the number of people who dont do their research before they buy...:(

4. Sledge

Sledge Member

5. OP
    OP
    hak

hak Member

LOL i feel you, every phone specs is only a google search away, just add "gsmarena" after every phone model and press search.

6. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

NextG is just a UMTS850 network.

http://www.overclockers.com.au/wiki/Networks

GSM Arena is often inaccurate when it comes to variants of phones and the 3G bands they support.

7. OP
    OP
    hak

hak Member

hmm oh yeah, hate the variants from carriers, especially from US :D

I applaud iphone 4 and sgs 2 for being aussie friendly...

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  8. Kyl3

Kyl3 Member

I did my research and knew exactly what I bought :)

Still have this phone and received my telstra sim last week so in the process of selling this one and purchasing another

9. TrennaHowar

TrennaHowar Member

anyone been able to get FLAC working on there phone? It works in poweramp but it says it plays FLAC out of the box. Really sux cause i like the default music player. Any suggestions ?

10. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

Had mine for a few days on voda. Coming from a HTC Desire:

Pro:
    QUICK interface, and silky smooth
    fresh google support, latest 'droid
    great screen, its REALLY crisp

Now please understand that im on Vodafone. So far im NOT impressed with anything they offer. Im going to reserve full criticism until ive had a bit of time with the phone, and also tested the HTC Desire with the sim too..

Cons:
    PRICK of a thing to sync accounts.. Why google, WHY !!!
    Wifi is horrid. Its REALLY bad at getting signal. Laptop, 3 other phones in the house all get perfect signal.. Unless im right next to the router, signal is crap and it keeps dropping to 3G data.
    No SD slot*
    No FM radio**
    no 720p video

I believe that 720p WILL come in time. May take a bit of time for a patch, but if the hardware is there, it will come.
    No SD slot ? With 16gb onboard, its not a huge issue, BUT variety is nice. As are 32gb cards.
    No FM radio ? Seriously, the chip is like 12c to buy and we already get headsets provided.. Would add less than $5 to the retail of the phone. No real issue as i can listen to phone radios at work. (safety crap, industrial enviro..)

Ive had the phone not "connect" on outgoing calls. I cant hear anything.. Not even a ring tone.. its like its "stalled" or frozen.. So try end call, try again. Same issue.
    Reboot phone, and it starts working. Person i was ringing said it DID ring but they couldnt hear anything their end. Happened numerous times.
    Ive also had it "hang up" instantly. Rings once, hangs up. In my hand looking at it, not like my face / cheek is touching a button or anything. Again, reboot fixes it.
    I STRONGLY suspect these issues are voda, NOT the handset. So take it with a pinch of salt. In about 2 weeks ill change back to my old Desire and see if it persists. If it does, its 100% the network, if not, then its obviously the phone.

How i miss Sense UI.

If i did it again, id get a Desire Z. Not a fan of the slide out keypad, but id do it just for the sense UI.. Mainly cos im used to it and REALLY like it.

11. tangcla

tangcla Member

So I've recently received my phone (it's an i9020 - this is the AMOLED version isn't it?) and I have to say, the battery life is atrocious, worse than my iPhone 4.

Any ideas on how to improve battery life? Currently running ZuluZulu ROM with Trinity UV kernel.

12. OP
    OP
    hak

hak Member

what was the battery life like on stock 2.3.4?

13. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

Umm.. my battery is fine ? I get 2 days with use, or 3 days on standby.

Id suggest maybe trying juice defender and some sort of task killer to extend life. That also helps quite a bit.

14. tangcla

tangcla Member

When I got it, it already had a custom ROM on it. So I didn't get a chance to test battery life.

Quan-Time, you're saying Juice Defender is worthwhile and helps?

15. koma_white

koma_white Member

The ROM & kernel makes a HUGE difference to the battery life. Some combinations work well and others result in a battery draining pocket warmer.

My Nexus One is still pulling 48 hour battery cycles even after 18 months of never switched off use. (Daily 16 hours off charge and i usually end up with 72-80% battery remaining.) I can highly recommend trying a few of the AOSP ROM builds then experimenting with both the bundled kernel and an undervolted kernel. You'll find that the cooked ROM used with something like LauncherPro results in a faster, smoother UI with a battery life that absolutely slaughters the stock battery life.
    For me the CM7 ROM's have always been battery chewers, and some of the kernels that others highly recommend have been atrocious when i've tested them.

Nandroid (or similar) backup your phone before you start, and just go through all of the available ROMs and kernels that suit your needs, Nandroiding an image of each one as you go. Keep a little spreadsheet of your results and you'll eventually land on one that's a winner.

As for task killers; don't bother. Read here.
    As for Juice Defender... YMMV. Your biggest battery drainer after the ROM/kernel will be if your in an area with bad reception. Locking it to 2G can help substantially.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  16. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

@ tangcla
    JuiceDefender does indeed work, BUT !! only when battery is low. You can get the PAID version which has MANY more options, but i dont use it.. Im seriously concidering it tho.

Once the battery gets "low" it turns off certain things. Disables wifi constantly scanning, radio, 3G, etc.. Just to preserve the OS. The pro (paid) version lets you do this based on location via GPS. So you can have "white lists" or whatever. So when you are home, you wont need 3G as you have wifi, or same with work you wont need wifi you only need 3G. You cant use it during work hours, only lunch. So from 9am - 11:55am everything is off, and 11:56 - 1:05pm it allows 3G, and after that it turns off again..

Bro-in-law uses pro, and its really cool with options.

Match this with your favourite "task killer" style program, and you can save battery life.
    Android tries to be "smart" and pre-emptively load apps (much like pre-fetch on windows) for commonly used items. But if you really dont need google maps or your spirit level app during the day, you can kill em. Free up some memory and extend battery.
    The cost of this is slightly longer load times.
    Angry birds is a good example of this. If its already loaded, it loads almost instantly next time.. BUT if its not loaded in memory, it takes like.. 5secs on the splash screen.

I will also echo what koma_white said. ROM makes a HUGE difference to battery life. Some slurp it HARD, others are really good.
    Guess run a few trials and see what happens..

OH !. always charge it on mains rather than USB. Ive noticed that also makes a good difference. I also charge it over night when it needs it. So instead of doing it for 2hrs and then unplugging it. I leave it charging for like 6 - 8hrs.

17. OP
    OP
    hak

hak Member

stock always gives the best batt time.

custom rom it is quite situational but most of the time it sacrifices power for more function

18. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

Agreed. Some perform better than others. By removing the "bells and whistles" such as wanky UI interface, you can extend life. Most ppl want a custom rom for that extra stuff tho.

Trade off really.

19. tangcla

tangcla Member

Does live wallpaper make a massive difference in battery life?

I was wanting to use CurrentWidget to monitor current draw but it doesn't seem to work on the Nexus S. Is there anything similar?
    Also looking for a CPU meter to see CPU usage.

20. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

Theres a few good widgets with everything like that. Temp, cpu, memory, SD, etc..
    Forgotten its name on hand.

I personally use "doom" live wall paper. And i noticed a difference from stock live wall papers to this one. "mario bros" is worse again. That one chews thru battery like its going out of fashion.

I guess it comes down to what you are happy with.