Google Nexus S

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by hak, Dec 7, 2010.

1. jamesl33t

jamesl33t Member

would people recommend upgrading to this from a desire hd? i find the desire way too big and battery life is pretty terrible

2. tangcla

tangcla Member

What ROM do you guys run?

I bought the Desire HD as well as the Nexus S at the same time, and was trying them both out before I changed my Micro-SIM back to a regular SIM and put my iPhone 4 up for sale :p

Put it this way... I sold the Desire to use the Nexus :)

3. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

i run bog stock.. im VERY tempted to try out the cynogen.

They are easily reversible back to 100% stock for warrenty purposes. So thats a non-issue now as it (supposedly) cant even be detected anymore.

4. kingyubbo

kingyubbo Member

I'm using the Old NSCollab with Netarchy latest test kernel. Very smooth. At the moment I'm playing around with the voltages using Proton Voltage Control. Changing the voltages of each one at the time is very time consuming.

5. Kyl3

Kyl3 Member

Tangclas nxs has the latest nscollab on it. And yep it is the amoled model.

I used to get 18 hours moderate 3g use with it. Have the overclock settings reset to something higher than normal?

6. tangcla

tangcla Member

i've since flashes different ROMs on there :)
    I left it overnight and lost about 1% per hour during sleep. Is this normal?

7. Kyl3

Kyl3 Member

Ahh ok cool What have you got on it?
    Really liked the nxs but it wasn't built as well as a htc i didn't think.

8. tangcla

tangcla Member

I'm running ZuluZulu at the moment, and yesterday I just flashed a Trinity UV kernel on there.

Definitely not built as well as the HTC phones. It's a shame.

9. koma_white

koma_white Member

Losing 1% per hour used to be the benchmark for a good ROM/kernel and is still considered decent, but a few of the very efficient combo's can get it down to about 1% every 2 hours.

I guess now it's just a matter of looking at what is chewing your battery to see if you can optimise it any further.

10. tangcla

tangcla Member

Has anyone heard that the stock clock/alarm app chews battery if the alarm is set?

11. tangcla

tangcla Member

So what ROM was everyone using, and what other ROMs have people tried?

I do quite like the battery icon on ZuluZulu, but I'm tempted to try either infin1ty or NSCollab. Netarchy kernel seems to be the one everyone raves about, and BFS seems to be promising.

12. tangcla

tangcla Member

So today I received my phone skin from BestSkinsEver, and I turned my phone off (pulled battery out) and applied the skin. I used the hairdrier to dry it off, as well as remove any potential for liquid ingression (though I'm fairly certain there would have been none).

I turned the phone back on and since then my phone has been telling me "No SIM card".

Does anyone know if this is a common occurrence?

13. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Going to start doing some ROM research I think. Nexus S should arrive on Monday... I have a 12 month old desire running Lee Droid at the moment (12 months left on my contract) but my gf's contract come up for renewal and 3 have stopped their free handset on 12 month $29 caps unfortunately...

Still unsure if ill switch to the Nexus and donate her the Desire.

Mixed reviews but I think it will be pretty nice phone. Id love a Galaxy 2 but ill see whats available when my Telstra friends and fam offer is up next june.

14. Moshie

Moshie Member

You guys tried the undervolting kernels? I'm using the uh James Bond one with BLN and it's fairly good

15. tangcla

tangcla Member

Yes I have. I kee p changing too much though, but I did find that Winamp might actually be what's killing my battery...!

16. Deftone2k

That is a good find.. I havent used winamp yet on the phone but was thinking about grabbing it. Might need to find an alternative mp3 player then.

Nexus S arrived yesterday.. initial thoughts are that its great to use. Will try it out for a week to see if I keep my Desire or the gf gets it and i keep the Nexus S.

Feels pretty nice in the hand I must say and the buttons are great.

17. tangcla

tangcla Member

Don't get me wrong, I think the battery isn't great... BUT it is slightly better. I still struggle to get a full day out of it. It's down to 55% with light usage and I've been up since 7.

18. Deftone2k

Hmm that isnt that great. I took mine off charge at 7 and with light use im on 90% atm (Desire on Lee Droid)

Will do a couple of battery cycles and load the device up for regular usage me thinks.

19. tangcla

tangcla Member

AMOLED being power saving is a load of crap. That is all.

20. OP
    OP
    hak

hak Member

AMOLED produce higher contrast and brightness at lower power requirements compared to LCD, I've set to manually lower at 15% strength and its still plentiful bright. There is no way I would jump back to a LCD smartphone anymore (looks at Motorola and SE)