Google OS soon?

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by elvis, Jul 8, 2009.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  2. adante

adante Member

3. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

Interesting cloud computing here we come! *cough* skynet *cough*

4. OP
    OP
    elvis

5. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

i like it ... windows is too bloaded for netbooks.

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

7. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

Hahaha! For how long though? Didn't they do a "beta... not beta... beta again!" dance with another product a while back? :)

9. Spanish Onion

Spanish Onion Member

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10281843-56.html

:) Looking forward to it!

[edit]Just read above - link already been noticed it seems..

10. Lei

Lei Member

a linux kernel + new window system + chrome

nothing new.

11. Spanish Onion

Spanish Onion Member

Maybe so, however it will bring greater attention to Linux and less attention to Windows - which I'm all in favor of :thumbup:

12. RnR

RnR Member

13. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

So perhaps 2010 will not be year of the linux desktop - but instead year of the linux nettop and netbook? :confused:

Either way, I prefer to get the most out of my devices - so if GoogleOS is just going to be for web-only stuff, it won't be going on my netbook. :Pirate:

I will definitely have a play around with it though. :)

14. OP
    OP
    elvis

Except that it's Google - the company that made Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer angry enough to throw a chair.

Given that Google are making good revenue from their ad-powered services (something Microsoft have publicly stated they are struggling with), if you combine a netbook, GMail (either the free or pay-for corporate services) and Google docs (not to mention their search tools), you've got an extremely low cost and highly mobile platform. Combine with the upcoming Android mobile platform, and Google will be blurring the lines of mobile computing between the laptop and the phone more than any company prior to them.

Remember too we're 6 months away from ARM powered netbooks hitting the market. These things will debut at US$200-$250. Add $0 GoogleOS, $0 google docs, $0 online storage, $0 email, and that's a hell of a platform for the 80% of the market that doesn't play massively powerful 3D games all day long. And even for those that do - at half the cost of a modern 3D graphics card or games console (or iPhone), these are cheap enough to fall into the "spare cash toy" category. (Hell, I'll buy one just for my wife to be able to use Facebook without tying up a laptop or workstation).

It's quite amusing that most companies you look at who are getting all excited about "cloud computing" started in local applications, operating systems and hardware. Google have done it completely in reverse: for better or worse they pioneered much of what we can consider "the cloud" (in terms of mashing usable apps onto the web in more than just a gimmicky fashion). Now they're joining the OS market as an after thought.

Whether you love them, hate them, or don't care about them, you can't disagree that the next 12 months is going to be extremely interesting. I can see some real shake ups happening in the tech world. And not at the high or even mid range of the market, but at the low-end consumer-focussed range. This is going to be a fight to the bottom that Google are well positioned to win, as unlike Microsoft or Apple they don't make money directly from products, but rather from having more users than anyone else (which they already have both the infrastructure and revenue-raising capabilities to support).

And what's going to put the fear of God into every other company going up against Google is how they are going to reclaim that lost mind-share. Because in this big-business, brand-name world, that's what ultimately makes you your profits.

15. Lei

Lei Member

+1. will always be cool if more people can choose linux.

the concern here is google needs to do more to really push for such outcomes. I mean from the above article, I have the feeling that the new os will just be another distribution.

;) I will be very careful this time, bought a netbook myself, only used about 2 hours. Will be great if mobile companies can provide 3g access plan + netbook bundles.

but again, all these can be done without google OS, the ubuntu mid version + linux chrome should be ok.

16. Outcast_Aussie

Outcast_Aussie Member

17. bazadilligaf

bazadilligaf Member

Some things just make me laugh so hard, I'm just sitting here reading through this & I say to the wife, hey, shush a minute babe. I'm reading something about Google having their own operating system soon.

Wife's response: Hell yeah, didn't you know about that all ready, struth where you been man, Google's going to own the world!

:eek::sick::Paranoid::confused::rolleyes:

18. OP
    OP
    elvis

You and I must be reading pretty different articles. From what I'm reading, this won't be a "distro" of sorts at all.

Google have said it will have the Linux kernel, and Chrome. Outside of that, they are hinting that they will re-write the graphics drawing stack completely. This will be a "web browser OS", and not a generic "distro". I wouldn't be surprised if we see complete installs under 100MB. (100MB would be more than achievable today with the Linux Kernel and Firefox compiled against SVGALib, which would handle keyboard/mouse input and screen output).

There won't be an xorg/X11, no GNOME or KDE. No traditional desktop to speak of at all. At least, that's the rumour going around.

Again, I think you're missing the point.

Ubuntu are aiming for a 10 second boot on 1.5GHz and up x86 architecture with a modern distro.

What Google apparently are aiming for is something more like a cross breed beteen an iPhone and a netbook. Basically something running a sub-1GHz ARM CPU that boots/resumes instantly (no 1-2 second, but instant-on) and displays a usable browser.

Stop thinking generic distro, and instead think dedicated internet device. Like a mobile phone on steroids.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  19. username_taken

username_taken Member

my hopes for Google's OS. You turn it on and it comes up to a login screen. You log in using your google username (gmail/apps/etc) and it opens up to a web browser at your igoogle page, with a menu/widget to switch between different apps somewhere out of the way.

You will have access to all your google apps, documents, picasa web pictures, etc as if they were locally stored.

You can log onto ANY google OS machine and have this, not just your own.

That my friends would almost be worth giving up what's left of my privacy to google... almost.

20. Joe 98

Joe 98 Member

Question: If the Google Chrome OS comes bundles with a Google browser, will they be in breach of various European regulations as was Microsoft?

-