Google Pixel 2 & 2 XL discussion

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Speaker4TheDead, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

Although this is more of an ad for Google, it's interesting to see how smartphone cameras have evolved:

I'm tempted to try the Pixel 2 XL, pending battery life and more actual reviews.

2. MaximusSmurf

MaximusSmurf Member

I've busted my Samsung S7 which I had for ~18months. Was the best Samsung Android phone I'd seen. As was the 'most' Vanilla Android experience.

I really hate larger phones and having a hard time tossing up between Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL at the moment. Heard some reports / complaints about the for factor of the 2, especially the bezels... but I can't see me enjoying the (IMHO) annoyingly largeness of the XL.

I use a phone for photos... and Phone-ing. FB, notifications, SMS, tinder, whatsapp, etc mostly notify and reply on my PC so I don't have to touch my phone when I'm at work etc.

I've got some god awful $70 Telstra Android thing now. I think the P2 is a little bit smaller than this, and the XL is quite a big bigger. Held an iPhone 6 plus today and that feels enormous.... I'm really not sure how people live with these huge phones??? Am I missing something here? Most people I know who have gone bigger said they can't go back.... but I just don't see the appeal.

3. MaximusSmurf

MaximusSmurf Member

Interesting vid, they also link off to this one which is nice to see. Road trip with whole thing recorded on Pixel 2, good to see how it performs 'naturally' and under a heap of different conditions

4. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Go check out the S8. It's what i have and i find it the absolute perfect size. Came from an iPhone 7 Plus so it was a massive reduction in size for me (although with a larger screen - go figure). :thumbup:

5. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

I'm tossing up between the two myself, the XL doesn't seem to be much bigger really, at least when you compare the measured dimensions (8mm wider, 13mm taller), it might be a different story once in hand. The screen is much bigger but with the smaller bezels it doesn't increase the overall length much.

I've had my Galaxy S6 for over two years now, I'm looking for vanilla android and fast software updates, stereo front facing speakers will also be a welcome return from my old HTC One.

6. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

The screen on the Plus iPhones is actually more usable with the 16:9 ratio than the long 18.5:9 ratio on the S8, even though diagonally the S8 is 0.3 inches bigger.

The XL looks to be the better buy with the thinner bezel. The size is around iPhone+ size, so play around with one at the shops to see if it fits you. The smaller pixel looks so outdated with the huge top and bottom chin.

7. Zee

Zee Member

Sssooo.... How do the built in speakers work?

Z...

8. MaximusSmurf

MaximusSmurf Member

Popped into Telstra shop today who advised although you can pre-order from October 19th but the Australian release date (when they'll have stock to sell in-store isn't till Oct 31st). Bummer to have to wait another almost 2 weeks.

No one has any handsets at all to touch / feel. They all just say they're the same dimensions as current Pixel.

According to GSMArena's phone compare. The 2's are a couple of mm taller, and ~1mm thinner.

Pixel vs Pixel 2

Pixel XL vs Pixel 2 XL

9. booksacool1

booksacool1 Member

Looks like a great phone.
    After forgetting my wireless headphones at home and buying a cheap cabled pair at the airport ($10) to tide me over during the flight I have realized:
    no headphone jack -> no purchase.

Sorry google, when bluetooth headphones are sold for $10 at the airport i'll let you remove the jack.

10. petercr

petercr Member

Just looked at the pricing and Telstra plans, looks to be cheaper in the long run to buy outright if the cost is amortised over 24mths... Pixel 2 XL =$1399 @ JB so about $58/mth. Currently on a $49 BYO with 10Gb, would be at least $116/mth for 5Gb included...

11. 2SHY

2SHY Member

The photographic processing on the Pixel 2 is done by a custom AI / SOC chip on the phone.

People have reported that the Pixel 2 has a Samsung panel and the Pixel 2 XL has a LG panel which does not have the same colour reproduction.

12. Hyunk

Hyunk Member

13. dispute

dispute Member

Does anyone have trouble pairing their pixel with their cars bluetooth? I have a 2015 Toyota Corolla and my phone can't seem to discover it.

14. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

15. petercr

petercr Member

My Golf does occasionally but that generally only happens if I have another active Bluetooth connection with the phone.

16. OP
    OP
    Speaker4TheDead

Speaker4TheDead Member

17. power

power Member

18. OP
    OP
    Speaker4TheDead

Speaker4TheDead Member

Im just disappointed at such misteps in the pixel program.. can we just get our Nexuses(nexuii?) back?

19. power

power Member

there's reports of weird noises coming out of speakers today, yikes.

20. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

Google has never been great with hardware. If the Pixels were $700-800, I don't think anyone would be as critical. The fact that these cost upward of $1000 we should expect a certain level of quality. I find it funny that you are getting a $700-800 LG/HTC made phone but with inflated prices because Google made it. Hopefully with Google's acquisition of HTC they can churn out better phones and fully leave LG. LG has been nothing but trouble for Google....the 5X and now the Pixel 2 XL.