1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Google Pixel 2 & 2 XL discussion

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Speaker4TheDead, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

The screen on the XL is bigger but legit worse than the screen on the non-XL. LG really dropped the ball with that one.
    You can buy it outright from the telstra store? I didn't think the offered such things. I ordered mine from google play store and that comes with one (should arrive Monday). I know JB Hi Fi also do a free home mini with one if you get it through them. The headphones are a sweet bonus though not seeing anywhere offering those for free which is awesome.

Pixel 2 camera still has the higher overall DXOMark score for any mobile (beat the iPhone X by 1 point).

2. Cape_Horn

Cape_Horn Member

You get the headphones from a purchase from JB as well.

3. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Mrs picked up hers on a plan from telstra, she got headphones with hers too which I didn't realise was a thing, wired and not wireless but better than nothing!
    Toll priority is a load of shit so I wont get mine until at least tomorrow now.

4. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Headphones are all included in Australian delivered pixel's I believe.

Go with the standard Pixel 2, the LG panels are too varied from batch to batch.

5. OP
    OP
    Speaker4TheDead

Speaker4TheDead Member

Question for the new owners of both the 2 and 2XL.. whats the battery drain like in regards to talk time.

This is one stat I've had a hard time of tracking down.. google only gives a mixure stat. Pretty meaningless when looking at long days on the phone (part of my work requirements).

I know google have tuned the OS well.. but I need to know what sort of talk times i can expect from either the 2 or 2 XL.

haven't seen any sites that have done this tests either.. if you find any let me know.

6. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Just got my pixel from Google store, no headphones and have to wait a few weeks for a code to get my home mini

7. MaximusSmurf

MaximusSmurf Member

Can't give super specifics on talk time. I really VERY rarely make calls. However battery life has far and away by a MASSIVE margin been the biggest disappointment of this phone. I think I'm a 'medium' user. Have pushbullet and fb messenger on work PC, so I don't have to pickup the phone all that often but battery in general has been complete garbage. On a weekend where I use it more, bit more snapchat, and some phone games (maybe 30mins).... It's dead or dying by the time I go to bed. Super duper dissappointed in such a new phone (with apparently decent battery life) often not getting me through a day. Especially since they remove Qi.

Woke up at 6:30am this morning. Been running for 8hours 25mins and I'm down to 60% battery. That's not using it ALL that much today. If I played some more games, or goto to GPS navigate somewhere later it'll be under 15% when I get home ~9:30pm... which in my opinion is a joke.

Anyone got tips here? Maybe I need to tweak my double tap wake, or turn off ambient screen settings?

8. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Would need to know screen on time to assess properly. Hard to say otherwise.

Also screenshots of the battery settings screen to see what's using the most.

9. MaximusSmurf

MaximusSmurf Member

Added. Don't judge me too harshly for my app usage. Haha.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Images not working for me?

11. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

I've had my 2 XL for a week or so now, I mentioned previously I intended to get the 2 but got the XL instead. I'm very happy with the phone overall, it's great to be on pure android although there are minor little things it still lacks, like separate volume for ring and notifications. Overall though it's great that everything is consistent, it's super quick and no bundled apps or other rubbish.

It's definitely a bit big but I'm used to it, it's funny how quick you adjust, the old S6 feels very small now and the added screen real estate is actually very useful.

It's funny about the screen too, everyone bangs on about the LG screen so I wonder if I'm missing something or just a bit weird because I really like it and as I mentioned before in a direct comparison in store between the 2 and the 2 XL I preferred the XL. I admit that you look at something like the S8 and it kinda dazzles your eyes but generally I don't like an over saturated screen, my S6 was the first Samsung phone I bought partly because it was one of the first where the amoled wasn't so over saturated. I know the 2 XL has been tested as not that colour accurate but I like it's colours, I have the wallpaper showing natural landscapes that update daily and sometimes I get surprised by the change in colours and the contrast against the icons.

I preferred the fingerprint scanner on the front like my S6 as I would often unlock the phone sitting flat in front of me on my desk but I'm used to this one now and live with the minor annoyance of having to pick it up. Whilst I had learned how to get my S6 to unlock almost instantly and with about a 90% success rate the Pixel scanner is very good and the only time it won't unlock is when I'm simply too quick to pull my finger away, otherwise it works every time.

I'm not a heavy user so I tend to get a full two days out of a charge, the battery life probably isn't quite as good as I was expecting but I figure it's mostly because of the always on display slowly draining the battery. For instance during the 7-8 hours while I'm asleep I'll drop about 10% so there's probably 30% a day right there but it's worth it for me.

One thing I'm really happy about is it doesn't get hot when you use it, it's something that slowly wore on me with the S6 which would start getting hot doing anything at all. I didn't have a case for the first few days and I'd pick the XL up and was almost surprised at it being cool to the touch.

I don't quite get why they included only a usb-c to usb-c cable, I get that in time usb-c will slowly become the standard but it just makes the cable kinda useless for me, it's only usable with the charger and I use a double port charger beside the bed anyway which accepts standard usb. Thankfully buying a couple usb-c to usb cables off ebay didn't cost very much.

Also while it's nice that the included the dongle to be able to transfer everything from your old phone be warned that not all usb cables work for some reason, you might have to try a few to find one that works. I'm also not sure why the transfer process can't be done over wifi, maybe it's my failing memory but I seem to remember the transfer process for my S6 was over wifi.

Well I might leave it at that, I didn't intend to write a wall of text but I guess it's a bit of a mini review that might be helpful for some.

12. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Sarsippius have you noticed any discoloration/blue tint when viewing at angles?

So far I am quite impressed with my Pixel 2 performance - battery seems to last a bit over a day if it has to. Finger print reader I swore I would never remember to use I pretty much always use to unlock it now too.

One thing I don't rate too highly is the camera app itself, the camera is great, the app is meh - barely any options (although I read this is by design so it relies on Googles machine learning).

13. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

Yeah it does have the blue tint issue which I knew about and checked out when comparing the 2 & 2 XL in store. It would definitely be better without it of course but it usually doesn't bother me and 99% of the time when I use the phone I'm looking at it head on.

I have had a few occasions now where the fingerprint scanner won't work, it seems if my finger is damp or sweaty and leaves some moisture on it it then won't read. A quick wipe of the scanner though and it's fine again.

14. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Ah yeah, that's the thing isn't it, how often will you be looking at your phone on a funny angle. I also have minor issues with the finger print not always being read, I think I need to rescan it as I didn't get all the angles of my finger correctly - specifically the angle it would naturally sit on holding the phone - also has issues when finger is sweaty, suspect that's just how they are!
    Glad to hear it is serving you well though.

15. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

Just a bit of a warning that not all usb-c to headphone jack adapters are created equal. I bought a couple on ebay for about $7 and they seem to be fine for what they are but they don't work with the Pixel 2. They are basically like a straight through or analogue cable, as soon as I plug them in a warning pops up on the phone. It seems these phones output a digital signal so the adapter must be a 'digital' one or in other words have a built in DAC.

I think I saw some mention of this before so I probably should have been more aware, the whole missing headphone jack is definitely a strike against this phone although it doesn't effect me much. I just wanted a spare to keep in my travel bag so I wouldn't get stuck on a plane and not be able to listen to an audible book.

It also begs the question though, why not use the phone's DAC and output an analogue signal? Is the new trend supposedly going to be headphones using usb-c and their own in-built DACs? The cynic in me sees it as a neat ploy to get us to all invest in new headphones with their own special you beaut DACs but I guess I can see the other side to it. Remove the DAC equation from the device and if you have a good set of headphones with a good DAC you'll get the same quality output no matter the device it plugs in to.

16. OP
    OP
    Speaker4TheDead

Speaker4TheDead Member

I mentioned this elsewhere that Google missed the boat in promoting the removal the headphone jack as adding an awesome external DAC dongle for the audiophiles.

17. Munki

Munki Member

Like the U11 does?

I'm in a bit of a bind right now. Going to be acquiring a P10 and potentially a Samsung S8 which I'm going to sell to fund a new phone. Not sure whether to get the U11 or the Pixel 2 XL. What's everyone's thoughts on the two choices? I'm liking the expandable storage on the U11.

18. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

I got the 8.1 update today, it's definitely nice to get updates quickly.

I checked the screen colour settings as I remember this being talked about but the new setting (2 XL thing only I think) may have actually come through in a patch last month. To be honest I can't see any difference between the default Boosted and Natural but the new setting Saturated definitely makes colours pop a bit more. Without actually comparing side by side it reminds me of my S6 which I'm pretty sure I always had on the least saturated option.

19. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Lucky for some, im sitting on 8.0

20. co.VAL(esce)

co.VAL(esce) Member

You can sideload the OTA, which was what I did. Fuck waiting.