Google Pixel 2 & 2 XL discussion

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Speaker4TheDead, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Just got a 550MB update downloading now, assuming this is 8.1??

2. OP
    OP
    Speaker4TheDead

Speaker4TheDead Member

Finally Joined the clan.. 128GB Panda arrived yesterday (yes despite starting the tread).
    No issues with the screen at all
    headphones on the dongle works ok (just can't unplug/plug quickly).
    Got update to 8.1 right away.. like others would of liked a mode between Saturated and Boosted.

Edit: 5 and a half hours on screen time for the first day isn't bad at all.. considering i'm playing PoGo/CoC and the new AR stickers while installing all sort of stuff.

This AR stickers stuff is pretty cool. Have a few IphoneXers asking how this is done..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  3. Munki

Munki Member

Just joined the Pixel 2 club. :)

4. B16B

B16B Member

got my new pixel 2 last week, the camera len at the back has got scratches on it:thumbdn:. the glossy plastic around it is spotless.
    picture quality is good tho

5. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

Bought a Pixel 2 [and iPhone 8+].

I don't mind the bezel at all as I put rubber bands around them to carry Oppo HA-2SE DAC/amp.

So far, impressed with how long the battery lasts.

Good phone overall, but clearly not worth the RRP; I paid a more reasonable sum with discounted gift cards and TRS during last week's $90-off sale at JB.

6. Munki

Munki Member

Yeah the RRP was definitely not worth it for the Pixel 2. It's a very nice phone though. I don't notice the bezels at all. People like to be picky with things, I guess.

One thing I didn't think was going to bother me as much as it does is the lack of a headphone jack. I can't charge my phone and plug it into my car's aux-in port at the same damn time. Otherwise, I do love vanilla Android.

7. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

I've had my XL for a week now and pretty happy with it. I also have an iPhone 8 Plus provided by work which was my main but now that I have the XL I've made that my main and I have to say, I'm so happy to be back on Android and having all my notifications be grouped accordingly.

I did have an issue with screen responsiveness, where it wouldn't always register me tapping the screen but since the latest update that's resolved the issue for me. Also while the camera on the XL has been good it's not as consistent as the iPhone in terms of portrait mode and getting that artificial bokeh looking semi-natural but I'm hoping that will just improve the more I use it. I love the Now Playing feature and I've downloaded an app called Now Playing History which logs the songs so I can go back and look at what songs the phone has previously identified.

Overall I'm glad I got it, the screen issues worried me but the blue shift doesn't bother me and I've not experienced any burn in problems as of yet but will keep an eye out for it.

8. OP
    OP
    Speaker4TheDead

Speaker4TheDead Member

Just returned from a trip to Japan, took the risk of the P2XL being my primary camera. Did bring my SLR only with a Telephoto lense and GoPro for some stabilized videos.. other than those on selective days.. it was all the Pixel.

It was really fantastic experience. I have always found previous phone cam experience lacking and this is the first time I was happy with the output not having a SLR.

Used the Portait mode heaps not just for people but for food and selective closeups. Most surprising was the quality of the front (selfie) camera. Don't much selfies period and was able to use it on occasions to get some great shots.
    Posting some samples below.. not touched up at all and except for the first one that was rotated slightly and cropped. Really shows the hardware and software to maximize it.
    • The double click on power button(to start the camera even when locked) was so fast to get a shot off and almost never missed a quick snap (combined with the volume down as shutter button).
    • Portrait mode was mostly great.. but could use some work in selective adjustment. Being able to keep it at default would be good as well.
    • The hand turn/motion camera swap was nice and intuitive as well as quick but didn't always work depending on angle of the phone.

1. Shot with front facing camera.. flare control is lacking but gives great detail still.
    [​IMG]

2.Portrait of a crystal snowman.
    [​IMG]

3. Portrait (mode) of some mackerels.
    [​IMG]

4. Dotonbori pano.. best pano with minimal blur or ghosting. Best I've seen in any phone camera stitching.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  9. Munki

Munki Member

Has anybody tried using the HTC usb-c to aux adapter? My wife has a u11 and I tried the HTC adapter. It sounds a lot better than the Google provided one... I can't find any info on either adapter though!

10. Jimmyf

Jimmyf Member

I've had two Pixel XL 2 break on me because of the USB-C port not recognising the headphone adapter. Luckily JB replaced both of them.

Because the port now has two purposes of charging and music, it gets worn down heavily.

11. GetSmart

GetSmart Member

Did you purchase it outright or on contract?

12. Jimmyf

Jimmyf Member

Outright, hence my dealings with JB HiFi. When they produced the problem, they were happy to give me a new pixel straight away.

13. Munki

Munki Member

Sat on my phone which had the HTC U11 USB-C to 3.5mm adapter plugged in and it's bent the connector to the adapter. Now I have to go back to using the one that came with the Pixel 2. It's vastly inferior. Time to get the Razer adapter now!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  14. Leigh M

Leigh M Member

I'm just using whatever headphones JBhifi were bundling with the pixel 2 and they seem fine, is there really that much difference between the adapters?

15. Munki

Munki Member

Yep. Audio out of the HTC adapter is noticeably better when I pair it with my earphones (Brainwavz m3). I don't bother with the bundled earphones as they were pretty trashy. I know aiaiai have better earphones than whatever was provided...

I've been told the Razer adapter is even better than the HTC one, so keen to give it a try.

16. Leigh M

Leigh M Member

Where are you buying them from and how much do they cost? Replacement google one is $12 from google free shipping AFAIK, seems reasonable. I need to buy one for when I lose or break the one it came with.

17. Munki

Munki Member

I'm giving up on getting a HTC replacement seeing as HTC Australia thinks they're worth $40 when they're charging $12 in the US…

The Razer adapter is $20usd over at https://www.amazon.com/Razer-RC30-02150500-R3M1-Phone-USB-C-Adapter/dp/B07798HM3H

I'm getting another Google one as a backup. Also found some usb-c to male 3.5mm adapters I could use for the aux-in in the car.

Unfortunately the reason for the higher price for these adapters is due to the DAC inside them. Such that is the life of a pixel 2 owner...

Leigh M likes this.
  18. AusScare

AusScare Member

Just picked up a Pixel 2 XL on the Telstra $59 plan. Unreal value. Came with a Google Home Mini and a basic set of headphones.

Weirdly my charger wasn't working last night (first charge) while my old Nexus 6P charger did work on it.

Plugged it in again today and it's working fine. Will monitor it over the coming days and see if it's a software thing, or related to the charger.

The charger base says Phihong Technology on the bottom. Is that the standard one? Possible that Telstra has been buying grey imports and swapping out the charger for a Aus one.

19. Jimmyf

Jimmyf Member

Yeah that's standard, my charger says Phihong at the bottom. Bought my pixel from JB, not telstra

20. AusScare

AusScare Member

The charger wasn't working again this morning. I messaged Google through the phone and they are mailing me out a replacement.