Google Pixel 3 & Pixel 3 XL Discussion

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by guy.incogneto, Oct 12, 2018.

1. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Since there's no thread already.

Already available to buy
    https://store.google.com/au/product/pixel_3

As with most google phone releases, the excitement is more in the software than the hardware

Night Sight uses machine learning to enhance low-light photographs, making them brighter and clearer, which means you will get better-looking photos without having to rely on your camera flash to illuminate the scene.

With Duplex, Google Assistant will call to take care of tasks such as booking restaurant reservations, making takeaway orders or scheduling appointments. The AI voice apparently sounds and responds believably enough that Google was forced to include a disclaimer so people will know they’re speaking to Google Assistant, and not a human.

Call Screen is a driven by Google Assistant, which will be able to answer an incoming call, check if it’s worth your time, then let you know if you should answer or even hang up if it recognises it’s telemarketers or similar time-wasters.

There's the usual spec upgrades to CPU, screen, camera etc. All very exciting.

2. OP
    OP
    guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

The call screening function looks crazy. Cannot wait to try this out

3. ZENNON

ZENNON Member

Yeah that does look impressive, not that I get many spam calls..

I'm interested to see how good Night Sight is

4. money_killer

money_killer Member

Nov 2 im expecting mine in the mail.

5. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Currently have an HTC 10. Both the 7 and the 10 seemed to date really quickly for me so I'm looking at changing brand.
    Was just looking at this this morning, however the Samsung 9 still seems to be a the current stand out when compared.
    Interested to see the real world comparisons that will show up.

6. OP
    OP
    guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

If you're worried about phones dating, Samsung is the worst culprit of the lot.
    They make amazing hardware specs and imo the best looking phone currently. But TouchWiz and bixby can DIAF.

ZENNON and Scarpetta like this.
  7. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Don't get me wrong, I love my HTC, however the first (7) phone had camera issues from day one - even though I bought it for the camera - and was with the carrier under warrenty for the majority of the first 12 months. The second (10) phone's battery 'died' about 12 months in and the warranty was refused due to it only 'sometimes' dying at 50ish percent and I ended up having to buy a new phone. Now just over 12 months later it's so slow and clunky :(

I'm assuming it's just how phones are made these days, and that it's impossible to make them in such a way that can keep up with the apps that are being made for them.

The Pixel is definitely my preferred choice over Samsung. However I take a lot of photos (for business, pleasure and in between) so want the best camera possible, that isn't an iphone.

I might be smart this time and not go for first releases.

I noticed an Oppo brand while looking, never heard of them.

8. OP
    OP
    guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/10/13/pixel-3-features-coming-older-pixel-phones-will-remain-exclusive/

Which Pixel 3 features are coming to older Pixel phones (and which will remain exclusive)

Features coming to older Pixels
    - Adjustable portrait blur
    - Night Sight
    - Gmail Smart Compose
    - Playground (AR Stickers)
    - Duplex (Assistant auto booking and Call Screening)!!

Exclusive Pixel 3 features
    - Pixel Stand stuff
    - Wide Angle Selfies
    - Top Shot
    - Photobooth Mode
    - Motion Auto Focus
    - Super Res Zoom
    - Lens Suggestions
    - Flip to Shhhh

I'm pretty excited to see Duplex coming to the older models. Probably one of the most stand out features from a phone in a long time.

Some of the camera functions exclusive to P3 may be able to be accessed if someone can make a modified APK of the app to work for older models, which has been done before when portrait mode and live photos was a pixel 2 exclusive.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  9. Forgiven

Forgiven Member

Just need to know how good is the camera compare to the rest of the pack. Everyone moving with multiple lens but Google stuck with 1 main.

10. wraith666

wraith666 Member

Why did they feel the need to include the stupid notch in the XL. Looks like a pretty good phone but the notch kills it.

11. OP
    OP
    guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

This video explains how they do it without the need for extra cameras

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

13. OP
    OP
    guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

A decent comparison of the Pixel 3 and iPhone Xs Max cameras

I've always found iPhone cameras to be noticeably saturated and blurry and the pixels more of a realistic colour and better hdr. Maybe it's personal preference.

14. roamin

roamin Member

wow google followed apple with that stupid screen, needless to say theres no chance of me ever getting one. looks so stupid. pointless too.

15. 2SHY

2SHY Member

No headphone jack means there is zero chance of me buying one.

16. SyN

SyN Member

they copy all the negatives of apple... stupid notch, no 3.5mm, single sim slot
    and then decide to have single lens, not have sdcard and only up to 128GB of storage
    AI processing photos after capture are well and all, but you cant deny the advantages of extra set of optics and sensor

if anything, its making the old pixel 2 look good, same ram, same storage and same physical camera

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  17. Speaker4TheDead

Speaker4TheDead Member

oh... was going to create a thread but plain got busy and forgot.
    If i was in the market wouldn't hesitate to get the Pixel 3XL.
    I'm still happy with my Pixel 2XL... and won't upgrade at this point as its still going strong and does everything I need of it.
    I can get the 3XL camera app to get some of the new features too.. no reason to update for me.

18. di_entropy

di_entropy Member

Why are people so hung up about the single camera lens?

In nearly all reviews the Pixel 3 camera is superior to both Samsung/iPhone and it's own predecessor. The Pixel 2 and now the Pixel 3 camera are commonly regarded as the best of all smartphones.

Maybe just clever marketing. It used to be moar megapixels, now it is moar lenses!?!?

guy.incogneto likes this.
  19. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

I don't mind the notch myself but I watched a youtube review and there is an app called nacho notch iirc, it makes that area black while still keeping all the little icons and I admit it does look much better.

I'm almost certain to "upgrade" my 2 XL to a 3 next month once my 12 months are up, it's a work phone and the upgrade cost will be fully offset by the reduced plan cost.

I'll still wait so I can compare the screens but it seems the new screens are better, the speakers are better and all in all I think the size of the 3 is a bit more convenient and it's now only a small decrease in screen size vs the 2 XL.

20. OP
    OP
    guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

You can black out the notch area in the Google settings natively

Personally I don't get why anyone complains about any notch. When you're using apps, that area is unused anyway. And when you use YouTube, the screen blacks out the notch so you it doesn't affect the video.

The wide angle front facing camera (which is the cause of the big notch) looks like it's a winner from many reviews. Wouldn't be surprising if we start seeing other manufacturing following the same trend.