Google Pixel 3 & Pixel 3 XL Discussion

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by guy.incogneto, Oct 12, 2018.

1. di_entropy

di_entropy Member

Finally got my new Pixel 3 XL 128GB White today. Bloody Telstra Business Centre.. so much for a 'pre-order'.

Bootloader unlocked, TWRP installed and rooted, ready to roll. :leet: :thumbup:

Love the feeling of a new phone, so fast and snappy.

So far, the notch doesn't really bother me at all. It doesn't feel like a big issue.

millsy_c likes this.
  2. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Nice, I missed that TWRP is out now. Much easier to flash titanium backups now :)

3. di_entropy

di_entropy Member

4. B16B

B16B Member

i hope there will there be a black friday sales for this. need an excuse to upgrade the 2XL

5. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

I don't think you'd find too much of a change.

I noticed my phone was offering me the night vision option recently.

6. Tazor

Tazor Member

After being on iPhone since I got my iPhone 7 2 years ago, I've decided to return to Android, since I've effectively been pushed out of iOS and the XR doesn't really appeal to me.

Ordered myself a Pixel 3 as I really like the the rounded tall screen design and there's not many 1 handed phones with a good 1080p screen and stereo speakers around which are important to me cos I do a lot of media consumption on my phone, so a solid but compact device that is good for watching movies and tv shows on, with a new 50Gb plan was what I wanted so I could watch stuff on my Plex library without having to worry about data usage.

Can't wait to get it, I reckon it's the ideal phone for what I am doing.

millsy_c likes this.
  7. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

It's not the most amazing image but night view can pick up stars which is neat

Attached Files:

Tazor likes this.
  8. Tazor

Tazor Member

Wow nice, that's miles better than you'd get with any other camera. That being just bluey grey screen :lol:

9. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Overall, worth it?

Tempted to upgrade my plan. Can get it for 1600 over 24 months inc plan. Beats buying outright.

10. Tazor

Tazor Member

I'm really liking it so far. Came from an iPhone and there are just Android things you come to miss.
    The Pixel has some nice gestures which I actually use, like swiping down on the fingerprint reader to bring up the notifications bar - but since they released the big bug patch yesterday addressing some of the launch issues it's a good time to get one.

IMO, the Pixel 3 (non XL) is one of the best rounded phones on the market with all the features you need in a very easy to hold package with the best Android experience you can get.

Scarpetta likes this.
  11. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Don't know how it compares, but JB Hifi are offering a $200 store card if you buy outright today.

12. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Awesome. My last two have been HTC. And I got both on release and wish I hadn't. The fast chargers blew up 3 times because it was new tech. :Paranoid:

Thanks, I've been waiting for a JB deal. Sadly I have no use for that. I've done all my Christmas shopping.

Anyone use the fast charge stand?
    I'm coming from HTC fast charge (3.0)and wondering if I bother .

13. Tazor

Tazor Member

I'll be picking one up pretty soon, but haven't used it yet. $120 is a lot of money for a charger and glorified google home...

14. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Didn't see the value to be honest.

15. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Well I'm an hour in an I'm impressed and annoyed.

I've had an HTC for the last 5-6 years and it's not the same :wired: Don't worry, I didn't expect it to be.

I wish I could remove the apps/search bar on the bottom of the screen, as well as the date and weather at the top of the screen.
    I don't understand why it shows a thumbprint on the bottom of the screen, when I need to press the back.
    No charging/notification light is annoying (could be a setting?)
    Can't wake up the screen easily (again hopefully a setting).
    Annoyed the camera is a 4:3 and not a 16:9 so the 16:9 photos aren't as pixel heavy.
    Power button is on top, I'm used to it being under the volume buttons. Just a relearn issue.
    The usable screen doesn't match with the screen size. I keep pressing too low for the back button.

Got a call from a new number, it populated everything in the contact card after asking me if I wanted to create a contact. That was cool.

Thanks for listening.

/rant

16. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Some of the below might be of benefit :)

Scarpetta and Tazor like this.
  17. OP
    OP
    guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Scarpetta likes this.
  18. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

I'm a massive hater of always on mode, I usually leave my phone face up and respond to messages which light up the screen. With it on I keep thinking I've constantly got a new message :lol:

19. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

I "upgraded" my 2 XL to a 3 last week and am happy with the change, it really is a big difference in terms of size and pocket-ability. I always put my phone in my right pants pocket on top of the wallet with the screen facing inwards so the 2 XL with a case was really quite bulky and about at the limit of being able to fit. It would be quite difficult to get out if I was sitting in the car but the 3, also with a case is so much better in terms of bulk and also being able to do things one handed using my thumb.

The loss of screen real estate is one of the obvious down sides but you quickly get used to it, I watch a lot of youtube on the phone and do need to bring it close sometimes to read something that wouldn't have been an issue on the 2 XL. I'm also making more mistakes typing because the keyboard keys are smaller.

The screen I feel is a definite improvement, the ppi is not as high as the 2 XL but that's not noticeable to me and infact the screen overall looks nicer (technical term :p ) The blue shift issue on the 2 XL didn't bother me but that's gone.

Another major improvement for me is the speakers, the 2 XL started distorting at moderate levels, it wasn't terrible but kinda detracted from what should have been a strength of the phone. The 3's speakers blow them out of the water which I'm very happy with, front facing speakers are a big feature for me so it's good to have that covered off 100% now.

I have noticed the vibrations that they cause and it's curious, I haven't really looked into it but it's like there's a passive radiator in the phone although I doubt that's the case. I don't know if it is in fact the tactile vibration system in the phone or a side effect of the speakers themselves. I struggle to understand why you would artificially create these vibrations, does the tactile feel help someway with the perception of the sound or does it actually help the fidelity or range in some way?

Tazor likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

yes i was the same, but after a week. I can't live without it.
    It makes a lot of sense with the way google have set it up.