Google Pixel 3 & Pixel 3 XL Discussion

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by guy.incogneto, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Thanks millsy_c & guy.incogneto
    Yeah, not a fan either, but I'm used to having a flashing light to tell me to check my phone. :( Le sigh

2. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

I always thought it was just because it was able to go really loud that it even rattled in the first place! It's certainly not what some sites would have you think though.

3. Tazor

Tazor Member

Maybe it's similar to some other phones that vibrate the phone to amplify the sound?

I agree with you though, it's a great sized phone. Although I came from an iPhone 7, which is actually identical width but slightly shorter - the Pixel has WAY more screen real estate while not feeling any different to hold/
    The only thing I would say is the top of the screen is harder to reach with one hand, but I don't need to since I just use the fingerprint sensor gesture to access the notification bar.

4. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

I must be one of the few people in the world who still find it a bit too big :lol:

5. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

I'd love it to be just a smidge shorter

Clearly we're HTC crew haha

6. Sarsippius

Sarsippius Member

Something I forgot to mention in my mini-review is the battery which it has been criticised about and I think it is a valid criticism. Coming from the 2 XL it is really quite a stark difference, the 2 XL would probably last me two full days on a charge although normally I'd top it up each night. The 3 will last me a day with my typical usage, it's expected the smaller phone won't last as long but it is a thing that could be an issue for heavier users.

The flip side to this is it charges a lot quicker, I don't think you can really class this as a plus lol but I know if I do start getting low I can pop it on charge for a short time and get a healthy chunk of battery percentage back and ultimately it still lasts me a full day. Note I don't use the included charger, I have a regular one with a couple usb ports I use beside my bed and usually charge to 80-90%. Generally what uses the most battery for me is youtube which would be up to 2hrs a day with a mix of wi-fi and mobile data.

7. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

I just fully charged mine for the first time. It takes twice as long to charge as my htc :upset:

8. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Now that I have voice match it has prevented
    everyone in the family from putting items on the shopping list using our Google home.
    And I can't unlink the Google voice without removing the device .

Stop trying to be clever, you've made the Google home useless to us now!!

9. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

What are you charging it with? Mine is about 1hr from nearly empty to full.

10. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

The charger it came with. I actually tried to charge it with my HTC charger which is quick charge 3 and it said it was slow charging.
    I don't think technology and I get along at all.

11. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

Pixel 3 doesn't support Quick Charge as far as i know. It supports USB Power Delivery 2.0.

12. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Yeah I know, I was just experimenting as I've noticed it say 'charging fast' or something similar.

13. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

Will do that when plugged into a USB-PD capable charger. I have an Anker 5 port usb power brick (forget the exact model) that will fast charge my pixel.

Fun thing is the exact fast charge message seems to be slightly different in several different usb bricks i have that support USB-PD.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  14. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Or the one in the box :lol:

I've got an mbeat gorilla one I'm using currently which works fine

15. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

Well, yeah that too. :p

16. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

Mine seems to charge about the same as the original Pixel, but I work at a desk, so it's not an issue for me.

17. OP
    OP
    guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Is it just using the shopping list? They can still use other features of the Google home, yea?

What shopping list are you using?

18. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

We only use it for the shopping list. Whatever the Google list is. It has always been logged in as me.
    Now no one else can add anything to the list and it's bloody annoying.

19. OP
    OP
    guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Ah right.
    Dunno if it suits you. But we use "Todoist" for my shopping list. And made an IFTTT applet which adds whatever I ask Google to put on my shopping list.

Anyone who uses the google home can add stuff. And I share the list with my partner in her Todoist app.

Screenshot_20181219-133737.png

It also has good widget. Which was the main reason I started using that instead of the google one.

IFTTT is worth getting into for anyone with a google home. Lots to play around with

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  20. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Receiving home calls is a pain now. The speaker quality ui so poor and turning it up doesn't turn up the sound quality it just shoots bass into my ear canal .