Google Pixel 3 & Pixel 3 XL Discussion

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by guy.incogneto, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Loadingdread

Loadingdread Member

I have a software issue with my phone. It seems to constantly think that its connected via USB and refuses to charge.

The only way to get my phone is to either
    A) Open the USB connection menu, change the USB management option to "usb controlled by - this device", quickly plug in my charger and hope it charges
    B) Turn my phone off and plug in the charger.

I have contacted google to RMA but until I can get a loaner phone off a mate I wont be sending it off.

2. OP
    OP
    guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Have you tried a different charger? Yours could be faulty

If it's definitely the phone, ask Google to send you a replacement first and then send yours when you've received it.

3. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

What happens if you change the default USB connection in the developer options?

4. Loadingdread

Loadingdread Member

Yep I have tried a bunch of chargers. Its 100% the phone. Ill try asking google about the replacement first and see what they say.

No change, when i try to change the default behaviour the system says its changing and fails and goes back to the "controlled by the connected device" option. From my googling this seems like a fairly common issue.

5. Zee

Zee Member

Agree. that notch is the dumbest thing ever - it's like someone at Apple said "Hey, let's do something so stupid, no one will ever think it will catch on. Then, watch it catch on because "we" did it.

Z...

6. millsy

millsy Member

Yeah google usually sends a new phone before you have to send yours back so you should be okay there! Weird bug.

7. ZENNON

ZENNON Member

Took advantage of the $300 price drop which happened today and finally got myself one! :D
    (64GB Pixel 3 XL in black)

Got JB to match the HN deal (free Chromecast)

8. millsy

millsy Member

Welcome to the club!

9. ZENNON

ZENNON Member

Thanks! Looking forward to taking some amazing photos :leet:

10. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

Did you find a fix?

Oddly enough, I'm now seeing this issue myself on a 6p running Pixel Experience.

11. Loadingdread

Loadingdread Member

Sent it back to google. I know its a software issue but a restore to factory did nothing so there wasn't anything else for me to do. The having to faff about with charging was fine but it was making the phone freak out with android auto too.

Also if you don't buy your phone through google they will warranty your phone, they won't sent a replacement first.

12. Loadingdread

Loadingdread Member

Update: Got the phone back all they did was reimage the phone. It would seem they did this before even investigating the issue because they said they couldn't replicate it. Anyway, reimaging the phone fixed it. Let's see if it lasts.

13. passwordistaco

passwordistaco Member

Battery life is absolutely shocking on my Pixel 3. Can go about half a day.

The photos though are stunning. The only thing holding me back from moving to iOS is the lack of portrait mode on animals :):lol:

14. ZENNON

ZENNON Member

Have you checked whats using all your battery?

15. millsy

millsy Member

I found the fitbit app at one point was nuking my battery, fortunately there's a good overview in the battery screen. Should last a day even with relatively heavy usage, for me with ~3.5 hours of screentime and streaming music most of the day on LTE I just make it.

16. passwordistaco

passwordistaco Member

There's nothing screaming out at me. I just know if I browse on my morning commute, listen to Spotify for 1-2 hours and check emails I'll be at 50% by midday. Maybe that is just the new norm? I find I always need to have a charger at my desk.

ZENNON likes this.
  17. millsy

millsy Member

Have you had it long? The phones do some tuning of background app usage so you'll find the battery life slowly increase in the first week or so.

18. money_killer

money_killer Member

must be a app or a fault i get home and have 70% light usage but. still with heavy usage get a full day easy. no battery issues here

19. OP
    OP
    guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

It's very easy to check where it's going in the battery settings.

20. passwordistaco

passwordistaco Member

Yeah had it since launch day. As for checking what's going on.. it's hard - every time I go to check it doesn't show me much as I've usually put it on charge haha! I'll give it a conscious shot tomorrow.