Google Pixel 4, 4xl, 4a, 4aXL Thread

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Speaker4TheDead, Sep 17, 2019.

1. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Looks like the main gripe is a lack of an Ultra wide lens. Would have been nice, but every shot I've seen on cameras with them have been very blurry and low quality, especially around the edges.

I also wonder why Google don't release their 4a with the rest of the range.
    Everyone will be comparing the Pixel 4 price with the iPhone 11, which isn't right. They should be comparing a Pixel 4a with the 11, since those are the lower spec models.

2. sanjay

sanjay Member

no ultrawide, no decent sized storage option and pathetically tiny batteries makes this a huge disappointment.

i guess if youre the kind of person who keeps their phone for 5 years and wants updates then there's still no competition for pixel. i get a new phone every year (if not more regularly) so early updates arent really a concern to me.

3. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

It is a pretty weak effort for them, although so was the 3... Nexus days were almost 'pioneering' now they seem to do sweet FA between generations of handsets

4. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

Meh, I like it - I've been wondering where to go from the Galaxy s9+ and i reckon the Panda Pixel 4 xl will be it.

It's clean, i like that. - the new Buds 2 - look awesome too thank god they ditched the cord.

5. TomJ

TomJ Member

I was hoping this would be better than the Galaxy s10e. Battery is smaller and no wireless charging on the P4.

Design is a bit lacking, the black colour isn't matte, no biometric unlock (why not just put it on the power button?) and the so-2019 camera square with only 2 lenses!

6. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Face unlock is biometric, I get the sentiment though.

7. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

The P4 looks like a really good option for those who need to skip through their playlist without physically touching their phone.

For the rest of though, possibly interested if it were half the price.

Crazy how poor the value is for flagship devices compared to just a few short years ago.

8. OP
    OP
    Speaker4TheDead

Speaker4TheDead Member

9. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

But that's not really right either - the iPhone 11 has the same SoC as the 11 Pro and has similar design and build quality, just a lesser screen and no tele camera. The 3a is much more stripped down compared to the Pixel 3, and I see no reason to expect that to change with the 4a.

10. Sankari

Sankari Member

This does not look like a good phone for the money. Massive bezels, features taken out... we're practically in Apple territory here.

11. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I actually like the bezel - I just can't get onboard with notches and cutouts. My daily driver is an S8 which has a similar top brow, and it's always seemed a perfectly acceptable compromise to me.

But yeah, the P4 is way too expensive.

12. luke o

luke o Member

I do not like these phones. Will not be upgrading.

13. omen_child

omen_child Member

Agree with most of the sentiment here, not enough shown to upgrade my P3XL.

14. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Just put in a pre order for a pixel 4. It supports wireless charging, not sure why someone here said it didn't

Can appreciate the comments placed, however coming from an S8 I'm still plenty excited by what it has to offer.

I can't fathom people who need to upgrade phones every year - $1200 every year is a lot of money, especially when it has at least twice that amount of life in it.

15. Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

I have pre order the pixel 4 XL to replace my dying Pixel 2 XL I broke in the last 2 week during my holiday in Thailand. Great timing in some sense. I only wish it was 5G and have a wide angle camera. As for price, I have accepted every new release will have a price increase so I will hold out as long as the battery can last or cracked screen, which ever come first.

16. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

It is a 5G phone isn't it? Not sure about the xl but the 4 definitely is. EDIT: nope

Except that Telstra will want $15 a month for 5G access in a year's time. Since there's money in it you can guarantee they're likely to reduce 4G performance to get people to cough up

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  17. Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

To be honest, I don’t think 5G is necessary but is really just a want and future proof. Telstra 4G is mighty fast for me. I hope they don’t throttle 4G to push people to 5G, part of the reason I move to Telstra is speed and I will be annoy if they throttle.

Dilbery and ShadowBurger like this.
  18. dainese

dainese Member

If anyone has any questions about the phone, please let me know. I've had a XL in white since Thursday last week and hoping to pay back community with a bit of information

19. dainese

dainese Member

The 2 XL is such a nice phone. I think it looked better and felt better than the 3 XL.

The 4 XL is fresher, no doubt

20. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Smoothie likes this.