1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Google Pixel 4, 4xl, 4a, 4aXL Thread

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Speaker4TheDead, Sep 17, 2019.

1. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

ahh make sense. im using a sim

2. OP
    OP
    Speaker4TheDead

Speaker4TheDead Member

Well.. after starting this thread.. finally got the 4xl white in 128gb

Since the 2xl was still going strong, didn't really want to change yet.

last few weeks the battery has gone flaky.. random weird issues with heating up crashes.. and factory reset didnt do any good.

JB is currently having a sale in store.. so here we are.

So far so good.. just doing the usual port everything across make sure all the accounts are there.

Did face unlock first with glasses.. and wont recognise me without.. so did it reverse and it works both ways.

Screen with 90hz forced and animation sped up is a treat.

Just messing with the settings this morning.. will play with the camera proper this weekend.

just realised alot of my goto apps no longer exist or removed by google... finding alternatives for simple things like Google Play Music playlist migration is a PITA.

Edit: 5 and half hours SOT with in 7hours off charge.. smashing it today to get everything up to speed.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  3. OP
    OP
    Speaker4TheDead

Speaker4TheDead Member

Pleasantly surprised with face unlock working perfectly with my biking setup. Sunnies and helmet on caused no problems with this phone. One thing that seems to cause issues is phone being too close to the face..

4. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

5. dainese

dainese Member

Mine has been perfect since October. Maybe 3-4 times I've needed to reset and I don't know if that was app/phone/OS

Dilbery likes this.
  6. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Mine's been flawless since October too, I've noticed the past few days it hasn't been charging on my pixel stand. Then this morning told me I had -1% battery and shutdown so I plugged it into a charger and it said 86% battery. I rebooted the phone again and it came back with 50%, reboot and it was back to 86%. Seems to charge if I press down to the right of the Google logo on the back.

I just contacted google support, they're sending me a replacement device.

7. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

So any news on the 4a yet, it appears to be a very decent phone from what i have read about it thus far, and what can we expect to pay here in Australia on release, any real figures on that yet.

My Wife will get my new LG G8S as soon as the 4a is released in Australia, as i want to grab one, mostly to get a better camera than the shitty one on the G8S, even my older LG G6 has a better camera than the G8S, not unless the camera is faulty on that one.

I had a Google Nexus 5 several years ago and that was a dam nice phone from memory.

Is it correct that HTC actually makes the Google Pixel phones ?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    doug81 likes this.
  8. connico

connico Member

Ordered the new Pixel Buds 2 today when they became available at the google store. First time in a long time i paid full retail for anything lol

9. doug81

doug81 Member

Reports coming out that there’s a 4a with SD730 and a 4a(5G) with SD765 but still no word on release date/price. I too have fond memories of the Nexus 5 - flagship chip, wireless charging, FHD screen, and all in 2013! One of my favourite phones, and it was under $400 bought directly on the play store. Hoping this one ends up being close enough to that experience, but now I’ll probably wait for the 5G model for a better processor and better future proofing...

10. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Please keep us posted on any further info, i want to get in early and pre-order a 4a if i can, don't really care if no 5g just want to grab one top see how good the camera will be.

I just went back to my LG G6 from my new LG G8S because of the absolute crappy camera on that phone, can't believe that the 2017 G6 phone has a far better camera (stills and video) than a much newer phone such as the G8S, however now i wish i had got the LG V40 as i understand that this phone does have a very good camera.

11. dainese

dainese Member

12. Zee

Zee Member

Pixel 5a will be launched before the 4a at this rate.

Z...

13. doug81

doug81 Member

14. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Yeah, the 4a is way overdue i think, but i jusy looked at the One Plus Nord specs and it may be slightly better than the 4a, looks to be in the $500+ price range.

Biggest issue for me is no SD card slot on either.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 10:07 PM
  15. Zee

Zee Member

Yeah, that's annoying. Part of the joy of android... My last Android phone was a Galaxy 4 mini, and I used to dump my music on the SD card and plug it in, and loved the way it just worked, with whatever format I used. iTunes is atrocious in comparison. They could learn a thing or two by allowing drag & drop of music files/folders.

Z...

16. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

That kind of music management is low priority.. Most people use Spotify or an equivalent music streaming platform

17. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

I don't use my phone for music, don't use it for much except calls, texts, posting on messenger mostly when i am away, but i take a lot of photos for just random stuff for reference purposes, and i might shoot some random video, but i t must shoot at least 1080/60p and have stabilization.

This is why either of those phones will suit, but i just like to have an SD card for backups.

I would be interested to see which of those 2 phones (Pixel 4a or One Plus Nord) would get the nod from buyers.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 11:57 PM
  18. doug81

doug81 Member

https://9to5google.com/2020/08/01/pixel-4a-press-renders/amp/

US$349 price, SD 730G and 6/128gb confirmed ahead of official launch - Nord is a better phone, but is bigger and more expensive. Plus the 5g isn’t mmWave on it so not that much better than 4g. Waiting to see how much it’ll end up being where I am, but this is looking good for me...

19. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

5g is not that big of a deal to me, i am not a big user compared to many others, i just need statewide coverage and the telstra network on Aldi suits me fine, whatever that might be.

Going to be a close call to pick one, depends on the price of the 4a on release.

20. boneburner

boneburner Member

There will be a 5g version of the 4a to be released at the same time as the the 5 5g - most likely to be slightly larger too, in effect being the formerly cancelled 4a XL. Expected price $500 usd.