Google Pixel 4, 4xl, 4a, 4aXL Thread

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Speaker4TheDead, Sep 17, 2019.

1. boneburner

boneburner Member

Hmm... aussie price $600 pre-order for September availability - which if i'm honest seems 50 bucks too much.

2. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Up against the iphone se2 and the one+ nord... this seems to be a pretty meh offering.

3. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Nord doesn't have confirmed availability or pricing yet so that seems like a big call?

4. doug81

doug81 Member

agreed - needed to be a lot closer to $500

the SE has the processor and Appleness, but that’s about it - nice price in an old form factor and smallish storage. Not that the pixel is anything amazing, but wasting 20% of the screen on top/bottom bezels and a button is a bit dated. Agree on the Nord, that’s a hard one to beat but I was personally hoping to move to a smaller handset which the pixel is for me. I’d buy this today if I could get it for US$349 which is a touch under AU$500...

mesaoz likes this.
  5. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

It's very easy to get new oneplus devices in Australia, obviously you miss out on manufacturer support though.

They have said they're doing more products in the nord range and that they intend to increase the global availability on those other models.

The 4a just doesn't really seem to have anything going for it, not to me at least. The nord is giving you quite a few nice features, the 90hz display, faster processor and bigger battery for example. And the se2 has flagship performance even though the body is uninspiring.

I hope it's boring because they channelled their efforts into the pixel 5, otherwise please just go back to getting third parties to make the phones like we had in the nexus days.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  6. boneburner

boneburner Member

Plus gst which takes it to $540 - which seems perfect for what it is. With markets being slightly wobbly atm, i can appreciate them hedging their bets on foreign currencies vs the greenback - but that extra "aussie tax" of 60 bucks takes it out of impulse upgrade for me.

comparison of camera from the 3a

Android Authority review:

doug81 likes this.
  7. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

It's worth noting that when I purchased my wife's pixel 3a from jbhifi they had no problem knocking money off the price... don't assume you have to pay RRP unless the device is selling out (it won't)

doug81 likes this.
  8. Zee

Zee Member

Yup, I know, it is a priority for me, though. whilst I do use streaming services, I prefer to own my music, and use whatever music service I'm paying for at the moment (currently Deezer), as a way to sample new music, and then buy it.

Z...

mesaoz likes this.
  9. Zee

Zee Member

I think I'll get myself an iPhone SE2, and wait for a special or a second hand Pixel 4a. I like it, but feel it's a bit overpriced. Also, not directly available in the Philippines, meaning I need to ship it, meaning the price will end up being a tad more than an SE2, without the 1 year local warranty (which is amazing, most phones here have 3-6 months, I kid you not...).

Z...

doug81 likes this.
  10. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

11. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Probably had supply-chain issues that weren't worth the bother of fixing this year.

12. doug81

doug81 Member

13. miicah

miicah Member

How big is the Nord though? If you want a small phone with a good camera what other options are out there?

I'm sitting here with one in my cart, wondering if I want to drop $600 to wait 2 months for a phone to ship...

14. doug81

doug81 Member

This or iPhone SE is about it. Mi 9 SE is a similar size, but camera is not as good, processor isn’t as good, and missing Band 28...

Edit: maybe Galaxy A41, but not sure...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    miicah likes this.
  15. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

So camera wise it is either a Nord or iPhone SE ? which i won't touch anyway, i just want something around $500 but with a good photo camera, and reasonable video as well, must have stabilization.

16. doug81

doug81 Member

so I just saw some pics from a Nord using GCam installed from an apk file - looks damn good! Was going off the Nord and leaning heavily towards a 4a, but now I’ve got to rethink. On top of that I can get a OnePlus 8 for US$529 where I am and it’s all just getting too tempting...

17. doug81

doug81 Member

18. Zee

Zee Member

19. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

That is odd, i read 3 articles that said the 4a battery won't be very long lasting (only a pidly 3150mAh) and i need a good battery life after having my LG G6 which has a shit battery life (a pidly 3100mAh)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  20. Franc

Franc Member