Google Pixel 4, 4xl, 4a, 4aXL Thread

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Speaker4TheDead, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Tinian

Tinian Member

I missed it from my S8 at first. Got used to not having it and unlocking by WiFi / device recognition works just as well for my purposes.

2. 6thgear

6thgear Member

Where is the Pixel 5 thread? Anyone ordered one. Looks pretty good and only $1k as well. On a Samsung S10 currently and was thinking of trying something new.

3. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Is there an actual pixel 5 thread? Is it in here ?

Fuck it, made one https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/google-pixel-5-thread.1290963/

I've pre ordered 2 directly from Google, upgrading from 3.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    Smoothie likes this.
  4. bcann

bcann Member

anyone got the pixel 4 XL, and having issues with RCS, specifically it staying on connecting forever, even after clearing the cache on both message service and carrier services and rebooting no difference?

Carrier is Telstra.

5. doug81

doug81 Member

my wife and I both got pixel 4a's a couple of weeks ago. Very nice phone for the price, does everything we need. 6+hrs SOT no problems, runs everything smoothly. The camera is awesome, but no surprise to anyone familiar with pixels. I'd ordered 2 Spigen Thin Fit cases, but only 1 got delivered so I got stuck with a cheapie case (I'm in Cambodia, not much option for a 4a here so glad to have found anything). I can definitely recommend the Spigen as it makes the device feel way more premium than my shitty case. But if you aren't getting a case, the phone itself feels great as it is. I've got a glass screen protector on too so haven't updated to Android 11. Apparently the October patch fixed the touchscreen issues this phone was having with screen protectors but I'm waiting to hear a few more reports before I take the plunge. I'm pretty happy with it, as it's great value compared to other alternatives, and I love the clean android. Having said that, I'd upgrade to the 5 tomorrow if price wasn't an issue, but it's just not worth it for nearly double the price. I think this phone will do fine for 3 or so years, so I'll probably sell it in 2 years and upgrade then. Easy phone to recommend for the mid range non-gaming crowd who are looking for good value.

6. miicah

miicah Member

Do you reckon that JB can move at all on prices for the 4a now it's physically out?

7. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

We bargained on the price of my wife's 3a at JB when we got it back near launch.

8. doug81

doug81 Member

Not going to be a lot of movement on these, kogan has $479 for a grey import which is probably as far as it's going to go. I'd be looking at the 5 maybe going on sale in November for $899 which isn't too bad of a deal...

9. Phalanx

Phalanx Member

If you can be bothered screwing around, there's a post on ozbargain about someone "buying" the Samsung S20 FE for $0 on a telstra plan, cancelling the plan (which is a $594 ETC), returning the phone for a $999 giftcard then buying the Pixel 5 - https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/573437#comment-9454783

I imagine they'll crack down on it soon once hoards of ozbargainers are doing it. Personally I don't think it's worth the risk as I don't really want the S20.

doug81 likes this.