1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Google Pixel 5" & Pixel XL 5.5" Phones 2016 - Oct 4th Release!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Danske, Mar 5, 2016.

1. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

This phone is amazing. I'm going full ham and throwing everything at it and it just doesn't skip a beat.

Camera is just blowing my mind at how good it is. Though I never experienced anything after a Nexus 5 haha.

It's just marketing. It's a rebrand or alignment of hardware brands. Don't think too much into it.

It's not really made by google, it's a HTC A9 shell with some pretty great changes.

2. IKT

IKT Member

Because Huawei said no and Samsung were too busy putting out fires of their own

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/1...ce-pixel-phones-us-division-badly-struggling/

3. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

This is kinda what's getting me. I know the hardware is HTC derived. But it's not google marketing I'm complaining about, they could advertise that it was powered by unicorn farts and I wouldn't care. Marketing BS means nothing. What I'm getting at is it's reviewers that are standing up and telling us this is googles first phone. The nexus line was basically whatever the OEM was making customised a bit. This seems to be a HTC design spec'd up and customised. I'm not seeing that line in the sand that makes a difference, and I'd like to see reviews from people who can see that, because if they can't, what does it say for the rest of the review?
    Yeah apparently no hardware dependencies at all, so just a feature they're holding back for pixel only for the moment. Speculation suggests they might be holding it back for the same reason they probably haven't launched google home in other countries yet, they need time to get the language right, accents, colloquialisms, etc etc. Not to mention, it is pretty much the pixels major selling point. The hardware is kinda meh in my opinion, sure it probably feels great but specs wise, it's just another flagship with oversized bezels. Google assistant is the killer feature.
    HTC makes sense to me. They make fantastic hardware. They've made some poor component choices, but they put it all together in an amazing package.

4. idiot_child

idiot_child Member

Had a quick play at the Telstra store... Those security things make it so awkward to hold the phone, not sure how it will really sit in my hand.

I was trying to activate the app shortcuts eg. Directions to home from the Maps app, but couldn't get it to appear. Danske/thecondor or anyone with the phone, any idea how? I was holding down the icon both on the home screen and app drawer, but all that happened was moving the shortcut around around the screen.

5. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Strange, maybe the feature was switched off (I don't even know if you can). It seems to work alright for me, hold down the icon and it brings up a menu (not all apps support it, mostly Google apps). But I can see how its an average implementation because it also can make the icon move :lol:. Not really using that feature anyways.

Yeah you really can't get a proper feel for it with those security things.

You should worry about other things in your life :lol:.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  6. C0L0N3L

C0L0N3L Member

7. The_Overclocker

The_Overclocker Member

8. darknebula

darknebula Member

If only they would extend software support out past 2 years. I think 2 years (official) software support is a bit thin considering the price.

9. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

I think 2 years makes sense. For Android phones anyway. They make bigger changes to the software and hardware each year compared to ios.
    I can't imagine running Nougat on a Nexus 4 =/

Ios make smaller OS changes and is admittedly coded better than Android, runs smooth with less hardware specs. So I guess it's easier to support older phones for longer.

10. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Personally I would have liked 3. But I'll settle for 2 and then getting a community rom the 3rd year if the device lasts that long - which it bloody better.

11. danyell

danyell Member

getting back to this phone and android (and not the one line offerings from our resident "contributor"), I am stoked that Google Assistant can be enabled on Android 7+ phones. OK Google is not working well for me and really is quite half arsed.

Today I wanted to navigate from point A to point B and have OK Google be intelligent enough to get me to "navigate to Brighton avoiding toll roads" and instead it brings up search results on how to manually adjust this function in Google Maps, reading out the most popular result from Google's support pages. It's 2016. Let's hope the new Assistant can get this stuff right.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2016
  12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Speaking of price : )

"Google's Pricey Mistake With Your Premium Pixel"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspe...s-the-google-pixel-and-pixel-xl/#3b5e625f5941

Given the popularity of the iphone you would think it good business not to breach this "iphone price limit".

13. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Looking back, I never kept it longer than 2 years anyway. It's getting shabby and worn out, and you "yearn" to get something new.

14. idiot_child

idiot_child Member

As the owner of a phone and tablet on an iOS version too far (and no way to rollback so they won't run like a dog), I'd say "Hmm..." to that last bit.

15. Beanz

Beanz Member

OK - Cancelled my iPhone 7 Plus backorder... Pixel XL on the way!

16. Treggs

Treggs Member

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

lol.....yeah I hadn't actually thought about it that way. But it seems almost like that, which just defies the laws of demand and supply.

18. omen_child

omen_child Member

19. idiot_child

idiot_child Member

I hate you for making me click on that link.
    1. The link is incomplete, so I went and found the actual article
    2. It's not true. For Australia at least. Can still add to cart, says delivery 27-31 October

I think warranty is better from the Google Store vs Telstra/JB, right? The idea of walking in store and grabbing one is tempting

20. omen_child

omen_child Member

Apparently there's something in the manual that says you can take up warranty with Google direct, haven't read it myself. People seem to be getting different answers from Google customer service.