1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Google Pixel 5" & Pixel XL 5.5" Phones 2016 - Oct 4th Release!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Danske, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

Yep, there's plenty of apps that allow to create events based on time, where you are, what you're connected to etc... I use Sony Smart Connect because it came with my previous phone, but some of these others seem to give you more flexibility, so i'll check them out.

2. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

I ONLY stream my music. I get a full days worth of battery on my Nexus 6 (i know different phone).

My screen actually uses most of my battery.

3. C0L0N3L

C0L0N3L Member

I have been pretty happy with my battery so far.

This is a kinda day happens about once a week:
    • So I charged it the prior night to about 94% used it for about 20 minutes
    • Bumped it to about 84% in the morning
    • 45 minutes bluetooth music streaming to work
    • Terrible reception at work
    • Checking social medias and googling (snapchat, facebook[swipe], instagram)
    • 45 minutes bluetooth music streaming home
    • Took some photos
    • Browsed reddit etc on a car ride to and from Brisbane

Bluetooth (always on paired to pebble too)
    WiFi (always on)
    GPS (high accuracy)
    WiFi/Bluetooth Scanning (on)
    Screen brightness at 33% with adaptive brightness

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Pixel or XL?

5. C0L0N3L

C0L0N3L Member

I have a Pixel XL

6. The_Overclocker

The_Overclocker Member

Google Daydream View VR

FWIW, I've just reviewed the Daydream View VR headset with the Pixel XL. It's really frickin' good, IMO.

7. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Dunno if you can keep shillin your website/reviews.

8. jclei

jclei Member

Picked up a black Pixel 32gb from work and put a Spigen rugged armour on it.

Im coming from a Galaxy S6 Edge+ and its very nice to go down to a 5inch phone again - much more comfortable.

Overall I think it is extremely well built and very nice to hold. The software is great and feels very different coming from the Samsung even though I set them up in exactly the same way. I do miss some of Sammy's extra features so Im not 100% in the camp of pure android is the greatest and cant be improved upon.

Speaker is very loud and clear for mine (wish it had front facing though - would almost be a pefect device). Much better than my S6. Headphone jack is also better quality. Fingerprint sensor is extremely fast but I am getting used to having one on the back rather than the front

The chin does seem useless and it should have been made smaller which would have made a big impact to the size of the overall device.

No VoLTE is a con for me - had it on my s6 and the quality was amazing.

The design is much nicer in person than on youtube so im pleasantly surprised that I like the look of it so much.

Happy with is so far but its only new so ill see how i feel in a month or so

9. SyN

SyN Member

can you pixel owners try something for me?
    phone sideways orientation, split screen down the middle and try running two of youtube/complex webpage/pokemongo apps simultaneously then see how the performance is?

(may have to go dev setting to force incompatible apps to be split screened)

reason i ask is i tried it with lg v20 at shop and it seemed slightly clunky. not sure if its android thing or insufficient grunt

10. C0L0N3L

C0L0N3L Member

Don't have Pokemon go, but YouTube and Reddit/Facebook/web pages worked fine until I started filling orientation all the time

11. oh_noes

oh_noes Member

What tablet(s) are you guys buying? Pixel C? Nexus 9 isn't for sale and I feel there is a gap in the market for a stock/fast Nexus like tablet (7-9").

12. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

What am I doing wrong?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is some app killing my phones battery that I don't know? I mean wtf that's less than half of the screen time some people are getting (4 hours I've seen).

13. shizmo

shizmo Member

That is pretty crappy.

From some reviews I have watched peeps are getting like 5 hours screen on time.

14. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

On the Pixel 5''?

What should I do/try? Uninstall all non-google apps and see? I'm not even using anything crazy which is what is perplexing to me.

Edit: Actually my above idea is stupid, if I don't use a any apps, I don't use my phone as much = I have more battery life :lol:.

15. C0L0N3L

C0L0N3L Member

Do you constantly quit apps?

Quitting apps can cause more battery drain because you have to use more processing power to load it back into RAM again.

If you are just quickly checking messages or what not, you won't get a long screen on time either.

As an example I haven't been consistently using my phone this cycle so I'm on 54% with 1h7m screen on

Spotify seems to be using a lot?

16. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Is that battery life a regular occurrence?

I've found on all my android devices, I get terrible screen on time when I leave the phone overnight or if I'm commuting around. I don't have anything I know off running in the background, and the battery drain graph stays flat, but for some reason I get worse screen on time stats at the end of the day than if I'm just using my phone a lot in one hit.

Instead of removing all your apps. You can restart the phone into safe mode. Which temporarily loads the os with no 3rd party apps installed. Good for problem shooting.
    Press the power button, then hold down power off.

Also, you can get an even more detailed battery graph by clicking on the first graph you took a screenshot of. If you wanted to send things like when the wifi/radio was on etc. (if you didn't already know that)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  17. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

18. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

I used to quit them a lot, but not so much anymore. I've manually restricted background data for a lot of apps that don't need to have background data going (banking, etc). And only left background data on for messaging apps.

Yeah spotify does seem higher than it should, I could have been streaming music at the time as opposed to listening to my downloaded playlist. I'm not sure.

Yeah pretty similar usage most of the time. It really does depend if I go about the day from an overnight charge or from a charge in the morning.

Yeah I looked deeper into the battery usage and nothing was out of the norm.

I'll try safemode and see how it goes.

Oh wtf is this... Looks like it only suggests desktops are doing this though.

I had a look in the phone storage, 5GB is used by spotify - which I presume are my downloaded playlists.

Now I really wanna check at home because my spotify is *always* running.

19. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

Danske, I hear you. I'm on day two of owning a Pixel (humblebrag) and battery has been far from impressive. Draining much faster than my LG G4, with heaps less gps active apps running. Maybe it's more active notifications or something? :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  20. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Hmm android on new phones usually needs a couple-few days to sort itself out.

Let us know how you go in about a week.

But damn that looks worse than mine lol.