1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Google Pixel 5" & Pixel XL 5.5" Phones 2016 - Oct 4th Release!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Danske, Mar 5, 2016.

1. jclei

jclei Member

Im really surprised to see poor battery life results above. I have had mine for about 2 weeks now and are now seeing 4.5 - 5 hours SOT every day. The only time i get less (and thats about 4hours) is if i stream music all day over 4g and through bluetooth to my car or headphones.

Im regularly getting 4.5 hours+ on the 5 inch pixel.

Just to note - it took about 5 days before i started getting those results. First few days was about 3 hours SOT

2. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

The best thing I ever did was remove the numerical battery meter from the notification bar, buy a slim Xiaomi USB C battery back and a USB car charger/desk charger.

I can't remember the last time I've had any sort of battery stress. And I can use my phone without worrying about my SOT :thumbup:

Dankse your battery stats seem bloody good to me. Over 24 hours of usage and at 34% if I'm reading it correctly. SOT of 1.5 hours at 7% total usage and spotify at 7% total usage which means you're closer to 3.X hours of SOT because you can be sure that those that obsess over SOT are not using apps that drain battery in the background ;).

3. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

If it's okay, could you share some screenshots? I really want to see the stats of these phones @ 4-5 hours screen on time. Not that I don't believe you, I just want to analyse the app use.

Understand if you don't wanna share (if you got tinder etc showing up haha).

I dunno, maybe you're right, my initial thoughts were - I barely used my phone? :lol:.

Maybe I need to stop stressing and just accept the fact if a charging cable is available, plug it in. I.e. at my desk at work/home.

Honestly though, other than the above stress, this phone is a-mazing. Love it - worth every dollar.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  4. anark1

anark1 Member

all going well until today when the phone screen went dead and now no amount of troubleshooting has brought it back so far.

may need to go back to helstra.

5. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Just pop the battery out

...sorry

6. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Just throw it into a blender

...not sorry

7. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

btw my 6p had the exact same problem as your pixel after i loaded 7.1.1

Random processes using huge battery for no reason (more percent used than screen)

Seemed to fix itself over time and a couple of reinstalls of FB messenger (evil app, poorly coded garbage on android)

8. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Hmm ok I'm kinda glad I'm not the only one, but also annoyed that it's occurring.

I uninstalled that piece of shit FB messenger app, apparently the FB messenger lite is alright - less garbage and just does what you want it to do, you know, MESSAGE haha.

I'm using Disa though, since it was recommended in that android app thread.

9. jclei

jclei Member

Yeah thats cool, ill try and get a screenshot before i charge tonight. Im at work today through so it could be a light day for me but ill see how i go. I got 4hrs 45mins last night with 14% remaining before charging (I worked from home yesterday so i mainly used the phone for browsing the net and youtube on wifi)

10. jclei

jclei Member

It's getting a bit late to try and reach the 4.5 SOT tonight but after taking off the charger at 6.30am, streaming music over Bluetooth for about 1.5 hours, a few phone calls and about an hour of YouTube I'm at 2hrs 15mins SOT and 50% battery remaining. I'm comfortable I would make 4.5 hours pretty easily if I stayed up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

I don't think the bluetooth stack is as solid on the Pixel as it was on my Sony. All devices I connect to, headphones for cycling, motorcycle helmet headset and car, all have intermittent problems, music stuttering being the biggest. And yes, i've forgotten and re-paired with all, done factory resets and re-paired where possible. It just doesn't appear to be solid like the Sony was. Not sure if it's droid 6 vs 7 thing.

12. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Interesting, it looks like a steady decline as opposed to sharp drops that apps cause. Thanks for sharing the screenies.

Do you have ambient display enabled? (settings > display > ambient display). How it turns the screen partially on for notifications? Maybe this is stopping my phone from going into Doze mode or something...

There's been a few reports of bluetooth issues with the pixel, also not sure if its a software thing or not. Might be worth checkin out xda forums.

I don't know much more, I rarely use bluetooth.

13. jclei

jclei Member

Yeah I do have it on.

I have screen at about 3/4 full brightness, wifi on all the time but use 4G during the day at work and wifi at home. I switch to battery saving at 15% left but i rarely use it when it gets to that level

I usually turn bluetooth on and off only when im using it. I have facebook and facebook messenger. I use Google Play music instead of Spotify.

Pretty standard settings really - I dont do anything to specifically save my battery at all.

I have come from a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ and the battery on that was max 3 hours SOT regardless of settings changes so I am absolutely stoked with the Pixel - battery has been fantastic for me

14. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

FML FWP Pixel is feeling to small and it's hard to type coming from my larger LG G4. Fs, wtb a Pixel XL.

15. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

I sometimes feel that the Pixel too small to type comfortabely with two hands yet too big to type comfortably with one hand.

#whatislife

16. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

Exactly this. :(

Why is there never a perfect phone? :upset:

17. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

I don't think you can have both man.

Although adjusting the total footprint of the phone would help the situation, i.e. smaller bezels, won't help with the two handed typing, but defs help with single handed.

18. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Has your battery sorted itself out Danske?

19. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Kind of. I got rid of a lot of background app data usage that didn't need to be on.

How's this, almost 2 days from a charge haha. But you can see I barely used my phone, until today, that's the dip :lol:.

[​IMG]

20. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

two days, thats quite good
    what the SOT for that ?