1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Google Pixel 5" & Pixel XL 5.5" Phones 2016 - Oct 4th Release!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Danske, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

With apps these days, you need at least 2-3GB just to get by. Facebook chewed up 1GB for me last month and 500MB for Spotify (30 mins average a day streaming). Clash Royale surprisingly only took up only 95MB with me playing every day.

3310 isn't phased out...it's just that Telstra pulled the plug off the 2G network. You can still play snake and make ringtones on it.

On topic:

Seems like the Pixel's have more issues on hand:

Some Google Pixel users reporting a major camera issue

Luckily it's more of a software issues than hardware.

2. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

I've been able to replicate that lens flare issue by turning on the camera app, tilting the phone at the right angle pointing at a dark surface while light coming in from an angle and I can see it. However I haven't seen it in any of my photos, so it hasn't warranted me to bitch and moan about it... yet :lol:.

Thankfully I haven't experienced any other problem. The camera and wholly the phone itself continues to blow my socks off.

3. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

Yeah! I know i'm surprised as you are! :)

Half set it up. Compared to the nexus 6... i'm already missing that screen real estate! :(

Easier to type one handed, but that'll change as soon as i get the otterbox defender put on it.

Waiting on the car/bike mount to come from the states for it, but if going by the nexus 6 mount, it's glorious.

Feels MUCH snappier than the nexus 6. Everything is just so quick and smooth to load :)

4. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

Also quickly tried the VR, i haven't set it up or anything, but it seems reasonably decent.

It's ALMOST comfortable to wear but i have to take off the glasses.

Pretty smooth performance wise too.

5. Clem

Clem Member

Zorry, 6-8gb per month, not couple of hours. I'm off work longer than 2 hours was what I was saying...
    Anyway.. Enjoy or don't a pretty decent phone.

6. oh_noes

oh_noes Member

If I buy a Pixel, then sell it 6 months later. Do I permanently keep unlimited Google Photos high quality/raw storage?

7. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

So have been playing with the phone now over the weekend and had its first real day of usage.

Battery usage is pretty damn good. After 16 hours of use it got down to 46% which is prety damn good.

2 hours of Google play music streaming, nearly 3 hours of SOT so I'm pretty damn happy...

I'll post some screenshots tomorrow.

8. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Nice man :thumbup:

9. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I must be blind..... just over 2 hours :p I've turned my location services down to battery saver mode as i don't really think i need high accuracy.

10. damnation

damnation Member

well i gave it to my dad, which he doesnt use atm, so probably sitting at his house.
    maybe i'll save it for the future! thanks for reminding me, will be pretty rare in the future, googles first phone and all.

11. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Apparently I got 2 days off one charge.

Protip guys, barely use your phone and it lasts a couple days :lol:.

12. Frag

Frag Member

Just picked mine up today. I lost my Nexus 6P so this was my replacement.

Went for the Pixel over the XL as I got over carrying the nexus 6P in weird pockets (probably why I lost it, well besides the booze).

Can I say, software wise I love it, however the phone itself is very underwhelming in terms of design etc at this price point. Dont get me wrong, I dont care too much as it goes in the case and really its a work too for me but for $1079 I expect a little more premium feel.

13. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Oh man I disagree, personally I think it feels quite premium. I love the feel of the phone.

From the front it's a bit boring - just looks like every other smartphone haha, back/sides are nice though, those chamfers are nice.

My only complaint is that it's too slippery. And i sure as hell am not gunna put a $10 piece of plastic over it.

14. timsarg

timsarg Member

time to retire my abused htc m9 . what to get i just dont know

tossing between the pixel and xl
    held both just cant make up my mind

15. Frag

Frag Member

The front of it is just ugly, looks like its stuck on (I had to get silveras no blacks left and I needed right away). Thick bezels and top/bottom. And that plastic bit on the back?

But as I said mine lives in a case (just bought a google one) and I'm not too worried.

16. Frag

Frag Member

I came from the Nexus 6P, to be honest as much as I loved the phone the size made it just that little too impractical - just that extra inch! Pixel XL is smaller so would be less of an issue but I am actually quite fond of having a small 5" phone again lol. Do a pocket test if you can is what I'm saying ;)

EDIT: Oh well may be taking my Pixel back, doesn't connect to my cars bluetooth (Ford Ranger PX). Seems that few others having issues with various vehicles.

EDIT2: Ok 20 mins later it started to work... Was trying to update the Ford comms but it didnt do it but started working anyway;

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  17. andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

I got the pixel XL a few days ago.

It's heavier than Nexus 5x.

It's much bigger than Nexus 5x.

I think after two days of use I'm now used to the weight, and it's very easy to forgive anyway given the awesome battery life. It's a struggle to use one handed though. I could kinda balance the 5X and get to pretty much anywhere one handed but it's more of a struggle with the XL, and even worse with a case, but without a case it's slippier than a fish covered in slime.

The OS is so smooth and fast that, it's weird, but I didn't even notice it. It was only randomly I thought, huh, it's not jittery and laggy, what the? I guess that's the hallmark of fast OS/fast hardware, you shouldn't even notice it.

Haven't used the camera much, I don't take alot of photos normally anyway.

I definitely missed my 5x for the first day. I seriously thought about going back. I'm going to keep the 5x for now in reserves. But I think I can live with the XL... almost kinda wish I went standard Pixel but it just seemed a bit small.

Oh one great thing is the reception, WAY better than the 5x... and the mic is WAY better also, people can actually hear me, which is nice. It's just such a shame these things cost so much, I can't justify the cost to buy for staff at work, unlike the Nexus. Hey so the 5x was based on some LG phone, is there a new LG iteration of the Nexus 5x?

Hey, stupid question...
    How to stream from phone to PC via google music?

Like, last night I was putting away washing and I wanted to listen to redbone by childish gambino, so I said "OK Google". Then I said louder "OK GOOGLE!" Then I asked it to play it, which because I have google play music, it did! But then I realized how shitty music sounds coming out of a mono speaker on a phone.
    Is there some way to 'cast' it to my win 7 PC with giant speakers? Maybe some kind of in between bluetooth thing that takes over from my PC audio and streams the phone instead? Or some kind of app for the PC that can do this? I don't even know what I'm asking for.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  18. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Where is the anime drawing of you putting away your washing with SGU in the background yelling "OK GOOOOOOOOGLEEEEEEEE".

Also, I think you're limited to what you can do with streaming from your phone. Spotify Connect works like a charm, you can stream to and from devices (but not web app). I.e. control the spotify on your computer from your phone and vice versa.

Bluetooth dongle could also work.

Spotify connect is the most streamlined way that I can think of. Which obviously only works for Spotify lol.

19. Apokalipse

Apokalipse Member

I was considering buying a Pixel XL 128GB, but I've decided I won't buy one, for two reasons:
    1. No MicroSD/UFS card reader, which makes the 128GB model basically mandatory.
    2. The price. The Pixel XL 128GB is not worth $1419. It's just not. It has the specifications of an ~$800-1000 phone.

There are a few other smaller things I don't like about it, but those are the make or break ones.

20. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

https://www.googleplaymusicdesktopplayer.com/

Download that, create a custom playlist. Have phone on you that you search for songs and add to that playlist on the fly.

It SHOULD pick it up straight away and you have SOME control over it.

PS, there is a proper google play music player for windows, but that 3rd party one is 10x better btw :)