1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Google Pixel 5" & Pixel XL 5.5" Phones 2016 - Oct 4th Release!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Danske, Mar 5, 2016.

1. andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

Well I got my XL back today.. they sent me a new one, but oddly enough sent it back in the same box I sent them.. anyway screen doesn't glitch out if I squeeze the bezel so that's good.. mic seems better too which is odd. I'm liking it alot more since I got this case:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-...830898?hash=item41b8b65372:g:OmsAAOSwEzxYO6um

They make one for the 5inch one too. I had a very similar nillkin case for my nexus 4 and i loved it, this one is great too, really slim, but hard, with decent grip on the back. The Spigen I originally got literally broke in half, and it was way too chunky.

Still kinda miss the 5x...

2. jclei

jclei Member

Its not an issue everyone is experiencing but I have tested mine on 6 different bluetooth devices and every device has resulted in skipping and stuttering music streaming. I have given up BT streaming in my car and use a 3.5mm cable if i want music from my phone now.

3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

#bluetoothgate ?

if i had that in a product in this price range.... not happy Jan.
    immediate return for 100% refund

4. jclei

jclei Member

If i bought it i wouldnt own it anymore for this reason. As someone who listens to a lot of music it is sooo frustrating

My phone was provided from my work though and I have to keep it for a year before it gets changed so im working around the issue with wires. It just sucks if im working on my car in the garage or something where i have a BT speaker because i cant use it and dont want headphones on at the time

5. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Shh no salt please, only dreams now.

6. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

I am gonna see what the S8 offers and might dump this Pixel. I like everything else about the phone but like I say, my bluetooth is now completely unusable.

7. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Good luck ever getting a result. The thread for Nexus 6P microphone issues is hundreds and hundreds of posts long spanning back to 2015 when it was released.

Never fixed, never even an acknowledgement of an issue. I bet the same happens with the Pixel/Bluetooth. :thumbdn:

8. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Are you talking about the noise cancelling mic issue where if you cover the rear mic it mutes voice?

9. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Yep. I know you can root the phone and disable that... but the fact it hasn't been fixed is like... what? :confused:

productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/nexus/g70qCHkqLA4

10. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

They also didn't want to add the fingerprint swipe feature to the older phones until people tore down the pixel and saw it was the same part the 5x and 6P use

11. jclei

jclei Member

It's looking the same way here. Google haven't even acknowledged there is an issue

12. andyroo54

andyroo54 Member

I almost can't believe how much better my new (replaced) pixel XL is. Although I must admit I haven't tested bluetooth really. I'll give it a go and report back. Although it still has two audio levels, inaudible or full blast... seriously why even bother with volume buttons lol.

13. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

I did an app cleansing and now the bluetooth isn't disconnecting from the car all the the time. I couldn't tell you which one it was, I removed a whole bunch I don't use. It still stutters playing music though, both through the car and head phones, which it has done since new.

14. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

Ok, I have the BT issues now. My QC35 headphones drop out, a lot, now. Normally for the first few seconds of a new song, like it isn't buffering the music and streaming it live, and failing. I haven't really played around with it, so I don't know if I'm using too high bitrate music or something, but it's fucking annoying.

Haven't had too many issues with my car stereo. I get it dropping out completely every now and then when I got over hard bumps, but that might just be the G forces knocking it around a bit.

Oh and doze is back pissing me off. I get notifications every half hour or so now. Which is getting rather annoying when they are critical push notifications. :(

15. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Is this even with telling the phone to not optimise battery use on those apps? I forget if we've been through this.

I also have notification issues with Doze, not so much anymore, it rarely happens. I do like Doze though, it's just a bit aggro. It's dozed in my pocket before and I pulled my phone up, unlocked with no notifications, opened the messaging app Disa, then BEEP BEEP BLAH BLAAAAH im like wtf?

16. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

It might be. I know I told it not to optimise some apps ages ago, so will have to check them.

As for notifications, yeah, that's what I'm getting. Open the phone, to then get a dozen sounds out of nowhere. Or say I have 10 unread emails, I read one on my computer, it marks it read on my phone, so then another unread message shows up in notifications (as it groups them currently) boom, notification sounds for it too. Getting real tired of your shit Google.

17. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

Why use battery optimization software. Surely you are getting 1 full days worth of use out of the battery?

I'm nearly pushing 2 days now with my pixel xl?

18. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

No not extra battery optimisation software, the inbuilt android one. When you dig deeper into Battery settings you can "optimise" and "not optimise" specific apps.

This has to do with background data, Doze, etc.

19. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

Isn't that what Doze does though? it offsets when it should do data transfers so that you aren't using data all the time?

Out of curiousity, what location services settings are you guys using?

20. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here. Basically, I asked Fatboynotsoslim to look in his battery optimisation settings and see if the apps are being optimised or not. Doze puts the phone into deep sleep, mostly CPU underclocking etc. It should in theory ramp back up when an app receives a notification.

There are a few other settings you can implement too, I personally have disabled background data on a whole bunch of apps I don't want to have background data (like banking apps etc, they don't need to be working in the background until I open them).

I turn off my location service completely, it also doesn't need to be on, I only turn it on full GPS mode when using maps.