1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Google Pixel 5" & Pixel XL 5.5" Phones 2016 - Oct 4th Release!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Danske, Mar 5, 2016.

1. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

It really comes down to Google's cycle of OS releases. You should get at least one major OS update if not two. Other than that, with these new builds, you should hopefully get security updates even if you don't have the latest OS. Otherwise there are non-official options as I'm sure you know anyway.

2. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Nah I want a max 5" screen so I can use it with one hand.

Yep I have small hands. Even 5 can be a struggle sometimes, have to shuffle the phone to reach the top.

3. thecondor

thecondor Member

Ahhh thats right the old 5" max thing, sorry I forgot. Well this HTC Nexus looks to be bigger than 5" anyway.

Not sure what options that gives you.

4. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Huh? so far most leaks say 5" screen for the Sailfish. It should be smaller than the 5x (total footprint).

And a 5.5" phone called Marlin.

5. thecondor

thecondor Member

Ah ok, didnt see that part. My bad.

6. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Out of the two current handsets, i always found the Nexus 6P the nicer looking one. The new 5" one seems to have a similar feel to the 5X personally.

7. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

I want to know why nexus went from a 6 inch, to a 5.7 inch and now a 5.5 inch.

I've got a nexus 6 and already dislike the smaller screen on my friends 6p. It looks like we'll be getting a similar sized body for the Marlin but an even smaller screen. :wired:

8. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

6" was probably stretching it for most people I'd say. Even Samsung with the Note range are trying to make the phone feel smaller than the 5.7" size it is.

9. thecondor

thecondor Member

Man I loved my nexus 6, for me Motorola nailed that phone. Been searching for a cheap white one of late just to have a backup/play phone.

Slim bezels, front facing speakers.

10. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

It really was the best nexus design they had.
    Front facing speakers and still a 74% screen to body ratio

The 6p dropped down to 71%. And by the looks of it, the next one will be close to iPhones at 67%

>=(

But that's why the 5" variant is available. Why drop screen size on their big phone AND offer a smaller phone

11. thecondor

thecondor Member

Yeah for me it went Motorolla Nexus 6 and then Samsung nexus.

I bought a nexus 6P lasted 4 days with it then sold it. Just didnt feel the same as motorolla's version for me anyway, I know a lot of guys love the 6P on here.

12. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Correct! They still have something close to 6" but a lot more manageable. They have the 5.7-inch model.

13. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Remember the rage about the 6P when the leaked images hit? Everyone hated it, like actually hated it and whinged about the visor "bump" and everything else. And now it's probably hailed as the second best, if not the best, nexus of all time (of all time).

I think I'll just wait to see the proper release of the phone. These leaked images are not only shoddy but taken from terrible angles.

The only thing I'm not sure about is if I should wait for proper reviews before pre ordering the Sailfish.

The 5X burnt me (thankfully not too badly as I sold it with only $60 loss) so I'm a little apprehensive being Google's beta tester this time round.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  14. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Not sure how quickly i will jump on either one of these new phones. I will probably been more keen on the 6P replacement than anything else.

Even with Googles priority updates, i find the price i'm paying for these high end phones, there are so many others options.

With the previous generation phones, they were prices really well, which really appealed to me.

15. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Yeah, for sure! The golden days of $400 (AUD) for a Nexus are goneee.

How much do you think these will be priced at?

I'm guessing $800 for 5" Sailfish, $1k for 5.5" Marlin, AUD.

Edit: maybe less actually, like $700/$900?

16. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

I'd say close to what the current pricing is.

OnePlus 3 has got me interested, but i'm not keen on buying until they ship official to Australia.

Personally, i'm happy to wait for some ebay discount details or some price changes before i jump onto something new. Getting a 10% or 20% discount off the price makes easier to justify, and when it comes to selling, i won't loose as much.

17. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Bloody Google ruined cheap android phones for everyone. The Nexus 5 was the last of the sub $600 flagship phone. At that time the Samsungs and HTCs had to compete were only $700 at release.

As soon as Google released the N6 at $900, everyone else jumped up to over $1000!

18. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

I thought it was the USD/AUD dollar that threw everything into chaos for us?

19. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

Pretty much. Even iPhones went a few hundred (may have been about $100~)

While the Nexus 5 was great, it did have some shortcomings, that could have been related to price margin as well as the parts they selected.

20. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Just a side note, it looks like they've reused the HTC A9's frame for the Sailfish, at least the front anyway, with the removal of the fingerprint reader button - which is giving it that stupidly huge chin look.

When comparing the phones sizes: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/si...Nexus-5X,Google-Nexus-5/phones/9733,9593,8148

Looks like yet another "big" 5" phone, it's footprint is pointlessly larger than it should be other than the fact that we'll get a bigger battery than the N5.