1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Google Pixel 5" & Pixel XL 5.5" Phones 2016 - Oct 4th Release!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Danske, Mar 5, 2016.

1. idiot_child

idiot_child Member

Not that there was much doubt, but FCC listings confirm 2 Nexus phones made by HTC.
    http://ausdroid.net/2016/08/15/confirmed-htc-making-two-nexus-phones-cleared-fcc/

Those leaked photos were terrible, I'm assuming the huge chin was due to camera angle. I was hoping for something more than an A9 with a plastic top, but hopefully this will inject some money into their coffers and keep the company alive.

2. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

There's a couple "corrected" images in the comments, here's one of them:

http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/4101/1382/original.jpg

Still photo quality of a potato so yeah.

3. 2SHY

2SHY Member

I have a 6p think that the screen to body ratio is not good enough.

4. thecondor

thecondor Member

Yeah I had one, and that was one of the main reasons I sold it, I had no idea why the bezels had to be so darn big.

5. Clem

Clem Member

I guess by the time you put some speakers and a camera etc, it sort of takes up some room..

6. James086

James086 Member

7. Treggs

Treggs Member

Can't unsee this now. Did a quick side by side. Uncanny!

[​IMG]

8. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Check this out, totally looks like the Nexus 4!
    https://twitter.com/usbfl/status/764631682074816513/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

It's defo the Sailfish though.

Got Bezel?™

https://plus.google.com/+RonAmadeo/posts/EGjKs6rDZNU

Baby got Bezel™

https://plus.google.com/photos/photo/104025431341062052230/6319143967208720226?icm=false

9. Treggs

Treggs Member

I prefer the Nexus 4 to be honest. It's subtly curved display glass was way ahead of it's time. I still have mine sitting in the drawer as a spare phone and to this day few phones are as nice in the hand. My S7 is the closest something has come in a long time. I should check to see if I can still get a new battery for the trusty ol N4...

10. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Mate and I were talking about that today, we'd love a refreshed N4.

11. idiot_child

idiot_child Member

I did something similar with my One M7 when the iPhone 6 came out (the back mainly, but the screens pretty much line up too). And look up A9 reviews to see why this isn't a surprising move by HTC.

I held a Telstra Premium Edition or whatever the rebadged A9 is in-store, it felt quite ergonomic. The innards sucked, so I'm looking forward to this phone.

12. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Yeah I agree with you there, I handled the Hellstra A9 in store several weeks ago and it felt pretty good.

And yep it totally is a recycled design lol, makes sense from a cost saving exercise, HTC probably had so many left over A9 skeletons. Sure the back is different, and internals of course: https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/mobiles-on-a-plan/telstra-signature-premium

What annoys me though is this kind of shows lack of innovative design. Huawei made something completely unique for the Nexus, why the hell can't HTC?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  13. James086

James086 Member

Yeah, that 'fold' (for lack of a better word) in the edges reminds me of the N4. Also the silver buttons on a matte finish. I think the Nexus 4 was the best Nexus yet (relative to the rest of the market at the time) but these new ones are looking good so far.

14. power

power Member

While I'm not confident looking at the pics and the iPh comparisons are a joke - Apple are the kings of design copying. At this stage we'd be remiss to do anything but wait until people get a hold of final versions and/or you can hold one in a store. I thought the last batch of Nexus phones just sucked (the 6P especially) and hope that they get on top of this negative press and push up an official look at the final product - those ugly pics are now the phone, they need to get ahead of that.

All the leaked iPh7 pics show off what essentially looks like an iPh6S and none of them are ugly pics from what I've seen, hell maybe the could start leaking some nice shots of this device to push these ones out of our collective memories.

15. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Yeah that's the best way I'd describe it too. I wonder if the sides will have that amazing-awesome-rubbery grip like the N4?! I kinda don't think so as it appears to be mostly all metal (minus the plastic/glass window bit), so I think that fold we're seeing is chamfering.

I love that rubbery texture honestly. The whole black N5 was like that, so good. The white N5 did not however, and it's a slippery little sucker.

16. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Nexus 4? Seriously?
    Do you guys have tiny Donald Trump hands or something?

17. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

"Oh we're gunna win, we're gunna win so big"

18. James086

James086 Member

Compared to the rest of the market in 2012 the Nexus 4 was standard. 0.15 inches smaller screen than the Galaxy S3, 0.05 inches smaller than the HTC One X and the same size as the LG Optimus G (on which the N4 was based).

My current 5.1 inch Galaxy S6 is fine, but I wouldn't want a bigger phone. :thumbup:

19. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

I have some very smart people telling me that anyone wanting small screens are hiding something. I don't know if it's true but someone should look into it.

Back to nexus', if there's nothing new feature wise with the Marlin, ill be looking at getting a cheap 6p this year

20. James086

James086 Member

There will be the dual partitions which give you "instant" updates. Link. The older devices won't get the feature. Hardly worth upgrading for though.