1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Google Pixel 5" & Pixel XL 5.5" Phones 2016 - Oct 4th Release!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Danske, Mar 5, 2016.

1. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

I try and pay as little tax as possible for screens, because I hate what they do with my tax money. I hate the way they spend our money on big screens.

:lol:

Re better than 6p, other than you know the usual, better chip/camera, swipe on fingerprint reader to view notifications is kinda new I guess? Not sure what else.

2. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Lol!

Yea but I always judge phone purchases on cost vs differences
    Can get a 6p for close to. $400 once the new one is out, vs $1000+ for Marlin

3. Cpt.J.Sparrow

Cpt.J.Sparrow Member

4. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Are they good? I don't know anything about phone scores.

I just dont want the thing to lag and be a slow piece of shit from the get go lol.

5. idiot_child

idiot_child Member

I think the agency that designed the M7 left after the M8, and I don't know if they've gotten any strong replacement to come up with a new design language. They've been clinging on for dear life financially for so long, probably can't afford it. Like I said, I hope this gives them the cash injection to survive and come up with something new down the track.

6. power

power Member

Very good, run Geekbench on your phone and it will show the comparison scores those scores are very promising if real. tldr it benches well above everything on the market.

7. Treggs

Treggs Member

Those scores are fast but "benches well above everything" isn't accurate. I just got 2089/6499 on the S7(exynos).

8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I though geekbench was "compromised" by apple and samsung to inflate their scores ?

9. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Did you mean when they were caught cheating and boosting performance when certain apps were launched?

10. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Well samsung were boosting clocks, but i thought the actual app was doing some 'tricks' when certain cpus were discovered ??? might have been another app ??? cant remember the specifics of it anymore.

11. Treggs

Treggs Member

Pretty sure they were doing some throttling tricks to keep the CPU at max power. CPU is still capable of those numbers for short periods. Exynos 8890 is a beast of a CPU and so is the SD820. If the new nexus has the 820 (or even 821) as rumoured, horsepower aint gonna be a problem.

12. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

FCC entry doesn't seem to indicate any wireless/QI charging, or the new magnetic resonance charging either.

GG time to throw out all my QI chargers lol.

Oh man I sure as hell hope it doesn't chug. With 820/821 and at least 4GB of ram on paper it should fly lol.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  13. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Cant seem to find many more leaks lately.

Other than the Nexus phones will come with 7.1 or whatever the newer version of Android 7.0 will be.

Interesting and subtle move, it's shifted from Nexus being the exclusive beta group for the new Android version, and thus everyone whinging about 7.0 bugs on the nexus = Nexus sux. To now all the other phones are the beta testers and Nexus will get the refined and polished version with bug fixes applied.

Clever girl Google.

14. power

power Member

I saw some photos the other day, will have to find them. Loving 7.0 on my Nexus 9.

15. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

I'm very sad my nexus 7 2013 won't be getting Nougat =(
    Such a solid tablet

16. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Oh man I loved the N7 (2012) at the start, right up until it basically grinded (ground?) to a halt within 6 months :(. I then punched the screen in frustration when all I wanted to do was play a song on spotify. Then I tried to replace the digitiser and just fubared it completely - into the e-waste bin it went.

I believe it was memory leakage issues that was widely reported. And of course some people didn't have any issue.

2013 model was basically the big bro of the Nexus 5, looked/felt pretty good from what I saw.

17. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

Yes me too. It had it's ups and downs, but with Marshmallow, it really brought life back to it. Battery life was excellent and it's still pretty smooth for such an old device.

Think of replacing this soon with either the Pixel C or go back to iPad, since tablets for me now is more of a lounge device rather than something I take outside often. I need a tablet that can last, and it seem like only iPad and iOS can do that, in terms of support and life cycle.

18. oh_noes

oh_noes Member

I too hope a new N7 or 8 is on the cards this year. The updated 64GB 6P will be an instant buy for me.

19. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Probably the last set of "renders" we'll see, next I guess we'll see another shitty/grainy photo of the phone or we'll just get the final product in an official statement.

https://ausdroid.net/2016/08/30/new-htc-nexus-renders-leak-claim-best-look-sailfish-yet/

Looks good in the renders, but renders generally do look good :lol:.

I dunno man not many rumours pointing to any tablets this year!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  20. BuD

BuD Member

my wife wants the 6p but isnt the new replacement slightly smaller screen thats coming? that breaks it for me i like this size :(