Google Pixel 5 thread

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Scarpetta, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

2. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

Will be picking one up from Officeworks on launch day.

Been waiting for a replacement to my Pixel 2 XL. Same screen size, smaller phone, better everything specs wise. Wireless charging and I get to keep my fingerprint scanner

3. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Bold move using a chipset that's slower than the one in their previous generation phone and way behind the current competition. Slower than even the 845 in most benchmarks i believe though it has better compatability/handles newer features than the older ones.

Will be very interesting seeing the battery life yielded from choosing a more power efficient chipset (i'm assuming since it's new still but runs lower clocks). Granted it's about the 'pure' android experience and a better pricepoint, but you'd really want to see a decent battery life. It's a barely smaller battery than my S10+ and it can last a solid amount of time, which is actually one of the major reasons I chose it over a S10 or other competitors....So it's got some potential there!

4. OP
    OP
    Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

I've ordered one from Google directly, normally I buy through a plan, but it's like 998.34 through Optus, and I'd rather not be stuck to them for another 12/24 months.

I don't know if it's really worth the upgrade to be honest, but I need to have two phones, so I figured I may was well
    https://store.google.com/au/magazine/compare_pixel?hl=en-AU&toggler2=Pixel+3

5. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

I was hoping the 4 was going to be what the 5 is shaping up to be. Pity about the finger print scanner on the back. I was really hoping to move away from that - Might have to just go with the Oneplus Nord.

6. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

People are confirming walk-in purchases at JB Hifi, Harvey Norman and Officeworks stores.

So if you haven't pre-ordered, might be able to get one a day early

7. OP
    OP
    Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Not fair!!!!
    2020-10-14_13-01.png

8. OP
    OP
    Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

Anyone got their hands on one yet? My order has just been marked as dispatched!!

9. Opticon

Opticon Member

I ordered mine through Telstra, dispatched yesterday and delivered today via StarTrack

Nothing in the box about claiming the Next Hub Max thought, will have to follow it up with Telstra

10. OP
    OP
    Scarpetta

Scarpetta Member

This is a Pixel 5 thread, talk about it more :lol:

11. Opticon

Opticon Member

It's a phone and it does phone type things? :lol:

Haven't had much time to play with it, just been letting it copy all data across from my pixel 2 and download apps while I've been working

Scarpetta likes this.
  12. Opticon

Opticon Member

FYI for anyone else with Telstra. Apparently we'll receive an SMS within 3-5 days with information on how to claim it from the google store

Deftone2k likes this.
  13. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

That's good to know.. I must say Telstra have vastly gone down hill in their general order/operations.

Received my pre-order today as well. Had to head out to work though so no chance to set up. First point of call is ordering a Spigen case like the one that has saved my Pixel 2 for almost 3 years.

14. di_entropy

di_entropy Member

Any Pixel 4 XL users upgrading?

I've always gotten the new Pixel on launch day every year since the original Pixel , but this is the first one I haven't pulled the trigger on. Just wish they went for the beefier processor and I would have gone for it, but just doesn't seem like much of an upgrade over the 4 XL.

Although with COVID and constantly wearing face masks it is a pain in the ass relying on face unlock with the 4 XL so the rear fingerprint scanner would be a godsend.

15. Opticon

Opticon Member

I've got one on order from the US but went to JB's today to buy a temporary one (only one they had was a Otterbox Symmetry) as I'm paranoid about dropping and cracking it. Screen protector is also on order when they come in stock.
    I almost didn't as expect for the larger camera part on the 5, the pixel 2 case fits fairly damn well

Coming from a well-used Pixel 2, to me it's definitely faster UI and battery life is already a huge improvement. Nothing has been sluggish so far and I've literally being going through every app installed and making sure it's logged in properly without closing any of them before switching to the next app

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2020
    Deftone2k likes this.
  16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

17. glennsfield

glennsfield Member

Anyone recommend one of these over a Samsung or huawei?

18. DoCsIs

DoCsIs Member

Are you looking for a 6 inch phone specifically? Most other models are big phones.

19. glennsfield

glennsfield Member

No not specifically but I literally hate my iPhone and wanna change to a different brand

20. connico

connico Member

Samsung doesn't run Vanilla Android and Huawai won't be able to run Android at all, even current devices lose support after a set deadline....

If you want the pure android experience then go pixel for now or look for a device that has the Android One OS... i can recommend Nokia now days...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020