Google Search Partially Borked

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by bcann, Nov 2, 2015.

?

Is my google returning a blan page

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. Sometimes

15 vote(s)
    51.7%
  1. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

I think it's an issue with IE settings not google.

If you have a look at the console (f12) when it does happen there's a few JSplugin errros and DCOM.Explorer errors.

Upon looking for those errors it was suggested there was an IE KB that was installed that was causing this issue, or potentially enabling the compatibility view for sites recommendation by MS, has enabled it for www.google.com.

2. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

you open the google page and start typing search terms into the box in the middle of the screen.
    it moves up to the top of the page as normal but there are no search results.

3. power

power Member

I'm amazed that if this is happening in IE none of my users have complained - this is the exact thing they would complain about.

Also those having it in IE, have you reset your browsers?

Amazing how much this fixes :)

4. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Anyone else seeing another issue where you get BLANK PAGE as a tab, webpages don't respond (tabs can change but content of page doesn't) and iexplore.exe is spiked at > 1GB memory usage.

Then you terminate iexplore(32).exe and the pages reload and it works again for a while.

I suspect it's a Jscript / Active-X/Flash script halting on pages as it's mainly news sites, and others with ad banners that trigger it.

Happening home and work as well.

YUP that's the one.

You open the new tab to www.google.com.au, and start typing your search. It then jumps up to top of screen, and hitting ENTER to search, brings up blank below. Copy and Pasting the search result to the address bar works fine.

[​IMG]

That's what I get.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2015
  5. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Even though I posted it mostly as a Troll, I would love a more official source or acknowledgement than some community reps on a Google Forum. has anyone got anything?

6. OP
    OP
    bcann

bcann Member

It appears to be googles new search engine code as the old one works fine no issues. Wether its some weird interaction with some plugin ive no idea.

7. NSanity

NSanity Member

happens on browsers with no addins and from the ajax/html5 "auto" thingy.

8. heydonms

heydonms Member

We added google to the IE compatibility list, the interface drops back to a simpler version (presumably without whatever function is causing the problem). Haven't had any complaints since.

9. tin

tin Member

Nope. Happening to me in the Steam browser, which uses webkit. And someone else above said it's happening in Firefox for them.

10. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

I've had it happen to me in IE11 and FF.

Had a client report it to me too but I thought they were just being a nub initially until I saw it first hand.

Google's secret push to get everyone on Chrome?
    I don't use Chrome at home.

11. Pugs

Pugs Member

(stands in a dramatic pose next to looktall) It's bigger then the whole universe......

12. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

13. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Interesting .. Google.com.au appears to be passing connections via Qatar (82.148.119.32).

Why .. I have NO idea, but I've tested internal and via phone on 4G Telstra, and same issue.

Only picked it up because we Geo block Qatar, and found Google timing out.

Some real weird shit going on ... being reported elsewhere too.

UPDATE: Not sure why but clearing the cache on devices with that issue works. Looks like Google diverted traffic temporarily via that IP for searches.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2015
  14. OP
    OP
    bcann

bcann Member

Looks like google have finally fixed their issue. you can turn instant search results back on and remove google from compatibility mode.

15. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

I wonder if the two are related.. ie the instant search and Qatar IP (working for me now too BTW)..

Could it be possible something hijacked search results via that IP, causing instant search to stop working worldwide?