Google Stadia (formerly Project Stream)

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by power, Oct 2, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I also think that it's poor timing. I also wonder what good timing looks like here.

I can see that this IS the future, however we are in the PS5/XBSX hype cycles. Game Pass is killing it and their pricing is all kinds of wrong. Who in their right mind is buying into this, when you can buy an Xbox and gamepass and just laugh at everyone else. Microsoft are on the cusp of just killing it.

If it was totally the future, MS and Sony would not be slating consoles (that you can sure as shit bet will have streaming baked in) for holiday '20. But they ARE shipping boxes, these boxes appear to have optical drives.

I just think it's a bet that could go either way at this point it time, but it needs to WOW people and so far it cannot do that.

shuffle me 2-3 years into the future and if google can keep the spending up they'll still be here with this, but 2020? not seeing it.

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

That sounds like a bet!

OCAU bets I have in place:

* Steak dinner bet with someone (Hater? Can't remember) over autonomous cars
    * Beer bet with someone (Firewire? Can't remember) over PS5 backwards compatibility

Let's make it one more. If Google Stadia makes it past 2 years (i.e.: we see it in January 2022), you pay for a 1UpArcade session. If they're dead, I pay. Deal? :)

3. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

you know i have a good record predicting things, you sure you wanna go there?

4. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

This. People keep voting with their wallets and wonder why they keep getting call of dudebro / assassin's map completion checklist / no dedicated server POS etc.

With patient gaming value these days and the sheer amount of quality out there who the fuck is dumb enough to pay for shit and then moan about it. Have you played the top 20 games from the last 5 years (example), get any of them on sale for under 20 bucks, Xbox game pass and humble bundle, it's the golden Age of gaming and especially cheap gaming

elvis likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

as smart as that is, patient gamer doth not keep the gaming industry alive....

6. elvis

If the requirement for keeping the games industry alive is non stop "developers are lazy and greedy" posts, if rather not have a games industry.

7. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

too many leeches hanging off the industry contributing nothing and scooping up all the money.

8. Penfold

Penfold Member

Australia is a really bad target for this kind of service - damn physics. Its over 4000km between Perth & Sydney and Sydney and Darwin. We are just too big.
    When you do the math its actually pretty scary:
    | Transmission across optical fire = about 2/3rd speed of light
    | For 4000km that works out to about 22ms one-way in absolute best case scenario (44ms return).
    So you are starting at 44ms input lag before you doing anything.
    Then you need to add time for inefficiencies in network processing, tv screen lag, time for the server to process data, time for the server to generate the frame to display, etc.
    It's one of those things that works really well in a lab scenario but in the real world it is bound to struggle.

9. RnR

RnR Member

Eh? Working fine in the real world.

10. Penfold

Penfold Member

Real Aussie world

11. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

True but my first point still stands ie stop buying the shit you complain about

12. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

you'd be surprised what i buy and am happy buying i guess or is this just a generalised "you"?

13. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

not directed at you, making a general point that gamers gripe about XYZ and then continue to pump money into asscreed and call of dudebro and NBA microtransaction central. If they didn't keep buying shit they wouldn't keep pumping it out

mobile trash is a slightly different issue I acknowledge, the unwashed masses love their candy crush / raid shadow legends (hahaha) et al

back on topic, aside from the talked-through-to-death issues around latency and server locations etc. I think there's also a case of not identifying the market correctly - these games are aimed at 'hardcore' gamers (the ones I'm bagging lol) who are going to want the best experiences - but those people will still shell out for a console/PC. Casual gamers won't be massively interested, but to rub it in you have to pay again for the AAA titles. The only way its going to work is a spotfiy/netflix style 20 bucks all you can eat then it will take off for MEL/SYD users once they shove enough servers in our region, if your NBN connection isn't shit lol. But if you have to buy the games again fuck that for a joke. Even assuming it stays at 10 bucks a month that's 120 bucks a year, so in 4 years it costs the same as buying a console, but you are renting the games and suffer the lag that will likely make some genres never work properly (FPS, fighting etc.). Not making sense. They need to make it all you can eat to make it attractive (or rent the games out for cheap e.g. 5 bucks a month or whatever?).

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  14. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

people actually like that stuff, that's why they pump money into it (i mean they like crack too). it's like reality tv - fuckers be watching that shit too.

I actually watched Jim Sterling's "most influential game of the decade" video and he pinpointed Clash of Clans, and he's fucking right. It's influence is widespread kind of like a cancer really.

15. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Yeah people do like dogshit.

The neighbor's kids came round (primary school aged), fiddled with the Switch for maybe 30 minutes then went back to phone games. Ha! (and I assure you they weren't playing Polytopia or Mini Metro or Monument Valley or anything actually good, just your usual F2P trash).

Even my wife who used to be addicted to WoW and PS2/PS3 games is now just playing candy crush type F2P junk. I'm astounded that people like that shit but I'm 100% aware they do and that its a market economy.

power likes this.
  16. elvis

Yeah, you're right. It's completely impossible to put servers in Perth, after all. I hear they don't even have electricity over there!

They always have, that's never changed. But as gaming becomes more mainstream and less "only for the nerds", the content for the mainstream goes up.

There's no point getting angry about it. And there's no great games shortage or any of that sort of crap. When I was a kid, there'd be 3-4 new games released a month. Now, there's hundreds. The fact that only 3-4 are good hasn't changed.

There's still heaps of great stuff to play, and streaming services won't kill that. Netflix couldn't kill the BluRay market either, and that's a far easier target that isn't lag susceptible.

kreegor likes this.
  17. jET_M@X

jET_M@X Member

Developers putting gameplay microtransactions into a single player game ( *cough* Ubisoft... greedily try to paygate xp boosts in a very grindy Assassin's Creed *cough*) or putting in pay 2 win loot in lootboxes (* cough * EA .. Battlefront 2 *cough*)
    are definitely being greedy. Releasing a "AAA MMO" Fallout that is full of bugs that is so fundamentally broken that the ACCC sues the US parent company to force them to give out refunds is definitely another sign of corporate greed.
    I am not against game devs getting additional funds through selling cosmetic gear in their mtx and probably most game consumers don't have any issue with it either.
    It does however become a problem when game developers lock all the best cosmetics in the paid mtx section and leave nothing to be earned via gameplay ( ala Bungie in Destiny 2) or being lazy by recycling assets from the previous Destiny game.
    Yes the costs of game development have increased but so has the size of the market. Just look at the numbers for online games like Fortnite and GTA V online ( both took in billions in revenue last FY).

TLDR: there are many valid instances of people callilng out devs for their laziness and greed.

18. elvis

If by "many", you mean the enormous, heavily corporatised studios, then "many" means maybe a dozen at most out of an industry of hundreds of thousands. A fraction of a percent of the total.

The hyperbolic response that the whole industry is going to hell in a handbasket because Unisoft and EA are pricks is quite ludicrous. Vote with your wallet, and buy games made by someone else. I honestly can't remember when I last played a game from either company, because I'm not willing to fund their bullshit. But my back catalogue is still enormous, with literally too many games from too many good developers for me to play in my free time.

19. jET_M@X

jET_M@X Member

The big corporate studios account for the majority of videogame sales. That would be a very significant "fraction" of the total.
    Their actions carry weight for the industry since these companies set the standard for all the other game developers to follow. The big game devs set the corporate culture for
    all the indies to follow- the big devs introduce lootboxes first in their sport series it becomes mainstream then the "rocket leagues" in the indie world follow suit.
    Hello Games released No Man's Sky in basically unplayable state on initial release whilst still charging full "AAA game" price - that is straight up greed. Kudos to them for continually updating to fix their game
    and implement the features promised on initial relase.
    Of course you can look to the total "games" which could also be the recycled junk on steam but again it's all the statistics you pick and choose.

I am not arguing the industry is going to go bust or to " hell in a handbasket" but there are incidents where game devs have been greedy, lazy or both and deserve to be called out for it.
    I've already voted with my wallet by boycotting Ubisoft and EA releases.
    Back on to thread topic, I believe Google Stadia will go the way of Google Plus - ie launch a half baked product late into a crowded market with some fanfare but then dies a death of a thousand cuts and fade into obscurity.

As for the bluray and dvd sales, they will never really die out since countries with less developed internet capabilities will still rely on physical media like dvds. For most OECD countries, I predict dvd and blu ray will be a niche product
    for collectors like vinyl records. Netflix and the other streaming services will make blu rays and dvds obsolete - it's a matter of when not if.

20. bart5986

bart5986 Member

This is an addiction, mental health and preying on people's ignorance issue rather then kids simply liking something different. I would say those kids aren't enjoying their F2P games but addicted the grinding mechanics.

A lot of games these days are created around hooking in people who are not feeling satisfied or productive in their lives, and then filling that with an illusion of either achieving something in their day, or working towards achieving something.

Free to play takes everything considered bad and then puts it all together with mind games to exploit you as much as possible. Its basically an advanced form of poker machines.

This is something that I bet most of us here have encountered from time to time, I'm completely against it and I still find that I play these games without fully understanding what it really is, but quickly pick up on it and stop playing.

You only have to read the reviews on these games on Steam, Google Play etc to see how sad the current situation is.

In short, there are a lot of people out there who don't believe they are getting tricked, after extracting a lot of time or money or both from them, they will get bored and move onto the new thing without learning from their mistakes.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020