Google Stadia (formerly Project Stream)

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by power, Oct 2, 2018.

1. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

I absolutely will. I have some subsription services but there is a point, and beyond that I CBF'ed subbing to something to view a single thing so the internet provides it.

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Hey guys, it's ya boy, elvis, back with another post. Just here to remind you that there are 10 times as many people who "don't take gaming seriously" as who do, so services like these (and Apple arcade, and the rest) will all succeed in a market that's far from saturated.

If you liked this content, please like and subscribe, and hit up my Patreon links in the comments.

3. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Haha classic elvis.

I keep forgetting bout them casuals. The service will suit candy crushers but not sniper elites!

To be fair though stadia is marketing this as a AAA gaming platform for all gamers so it's going to disappoint a certain percentage. The very first game in that latest video posted last page was destiny 2. With some enemies having quite small critical damage spots, good luck hitting those.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    elvis likes this.
  4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I'm not sure that it is. It feels to me like they're going for that audience that cannot or don't want to afford the latest and greatest gaming gear, so they can lease it instead.

OCAU types aren't the target audience at all. You're talking folks who happily drop $1K of upgrades on their systems averaged out over 1-2 years, with initial costs much higher. Generally people with jobs and the desire to invest seriously in their gaming as something they'll do for a decent chunk of their entertainment time.

There are a large chunk of people out there who either don't want to pay that for occasional gaming (i.e.: they have the cash, but they don't want to invest in the up-front layout for something they'll only do on occasion), or folks who just can't afford the gear needed at all.

Not a lot of difference here compared to streaming media, I think. If people are serious about home theatre, they'll put in the time and money to not only good quality gear (everything from big sexy displays to audio to seating), but also the media itself - UHD/4K BluRay and players. Bigger dollar investment than watching Netflix on your smaller screen with lower quality media, but depending on the audience it might not matter.

Ditto for audio enthusiasts. I know folks who spit at your feet when you mention Spotify. They'll spend a fortune on quality audio gear and do everything in their power to track down the best quality media. And yet, there exists a huge market of people who happily put a shithouse $100 UE-Boom speaker on their outdoor table, jack the volume up until the thing clips to distorted shit, drinks a few chardies and screams "woo!" when their favourite 00s banger comes on.

And for all of those examples, the marketing certainly paints a picture of happy, toothy people accessing quality gear. But the reality is it's all bullshit, and it's clear that to double in quality you have to spend 10 times as much for each "upgrade" cycle, and that there are plenty of people happy to sit on the low end and enjoy things casually.

So specific to the quote above - what Google have in their glossy marketing versus what this is actually aimed at in a businesses sense - well that's no different to any other marketing. I think the difference here is that OCAU's PC Master Race is more acutely aware of their specific niche and are paying attention. But there is zero difference here between what Stadia is aimed at, and what a million other base-level cheapy products are aimed at - and that is getting low end mass consumer appeal that focuses on lower price instead of higher quality.

The ratio of McDonalds restaurants to 5 star restaurants in any given city is no different. It's obvious where the quality is, and it's obvious where the low end cheap appeal is. It's also obvious which one advertises more heavily with shiny ads packed full of photoshopped bullshit. All we're seeing now is gaming growing up to a point where it's mass-scale popular enough to spread across multiple demographics.

I'm certain streaming gaming will succeed. Google Stadia specifically has more to do with timing than the product ("first to market" is dangerous in the tech game, because people freak out at change). But Google have got the cash to ride this out for a while. Either way, just because it's not aimed at "the elite", doesn't mean it's not aimed at nobody. These big companies don't do things by accident or without research. They've spent more on market analysis in a week than you'll earn in a lifetime. Nothing here is happening by accident.

I remember people saying the same thing about Minecraft and Fortnite on mobile. And yet, there's a multi-billion dollar revenue stream today.

5. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

That's our family gatherings to the tee!

I never thought theyd fail, least they respond to input quickly.

Some good points you make but I will still remain google-glass sceptical.

I think even a large group of casual gamers will find the inconsistency of it off-putting especially if you aren't on fibre optic + reasonably close to a server.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  6. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

before F2P and BR Fornite had fail written all over it.

7. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

oh yeah I always forget that fortnite was a failing co-op game that saw the BR potential from PUBG and actually used PUBG assets to develop their BR.

8. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

classic Epic Games.

walker_2003 likes this.