Google Stadia (formerly Project Stream)

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by power, Oct 2, 2018.

1. nope

nope Member

like seriously who launches such a crap service with no exclusives and games that run and look worse than a xbox one x and obviously pc
    its not even cheap lmao total flop, at least we know they techs there on the streaming side if only it was used for wireless streaming from a home pc server to untethered VR from more local servers as Digital Foundry said.

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Yup. Which is a valid market made up of of tens of millions of potential customers. Probably a lot more with 5G around the corner.

3. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

dead on arrival

jET_M@X and nope like this.
  4. spank36

spank36 Member

I just listened to the ACG podcast on this. Man, he ripped it a new one! From everything I had been reading it seemed as if it was nowhere near ready for launch. It just seems like a terrible idea when you can pick up and Xbox One for so cheap now and get game pass.

5. jET_M@X

jET_M@X Member

This is tanking harder than Google plus. It's not a good look when Google Pr shifts blame to devs for their games running at 1080/1440 then being upscaled to 4k.

It will be interesting to see how long it lasts especially since next gen consoles are out next year.

6. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

see what the "Stadia Base" free tier is like next year, this early stuff is nothing and not an indicator of the success of the platform.

7. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Exactly

Not sure why everyone is saying is dead.

This costs Google basically nothing to run, and they have a huge head start on competitors, as well as a huge advantage on most competitors in general excluding Microsoft and Amazon.

This type of service is inevitable but the world is not particularly ready for it, but will be slowly, which Google knows.

Google knows more about the speed of everyone's internet connection and latency then any other company, and thats using Youtube stats alone.

*Having said that I would never pay money for this besides some kind of $10 a month, access all games deal.

8. RnR

RnR Member

There is nothing stopping them adopting cheap console hardware next year.

I see current Stadia as a beta and folks are still having loads of fun. The worst critics seems to be #pcmasterrace folks.

One downside is that the platform seems to be locked out of any cross platform play. Destiny 2 Stadia players won't be able to play with PC players - which is a shame.

9. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

consoles are rumoured to not be out until holiday 20 (end of the year).

by then Stadia could be smashing it, we just don't know.

10. jET_M@X

jET_M@X Member

Given the rocky launch for their paying "beta" subscribers, I'm not holding out much hope for the free tier. Also there's high degree of skepticism that it will launch in countries with low tiered internet like Australia.

11. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Its easy to launch in Australia, our internet is quite good once you exclude regional areas.

We have a lot of high speed connections capable of using Stadia in 4k in our Metropolitan areas.

The USA has a lot of internet speed issues throughout, and they also have way more data cap problems where we have real unlimited in metropolitan areas.

Don't forget that Google has servers all over the world including Australia. Our connection speed to the Australian Google speeds are some of the best available, Stadia streaming will be easy.

12. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

There are plenty of things that don't exist outside of the US. We are a pathetically small market so while I'm sure we are on the radar. I doubt we are a priority.

They will want to cover, the US, GB, JPN. That's got to be the prime targets for now.

13. RnR

RnR Member

Agreed. 1.5 hours of 1080p of Destiny 2 chewed up 14GB of data apparently. There could be a reason why Stadia might take a long long time to appear in Australia. The Stadia Community Manager over at reddit did say that some Australian's had managed to sign up to the USA region, and they seemed fine with the performance (according to him).

14. jET_M@X

jET_M@X Member

The major critical consensus is that the service launched half baked. Not delivering on advertised features is not a good look.

All games on stadia have their own walled ecosystem so you only play with other stadia players. No cross play supported at all for D2 and all progress is for stadia only.

15. elvis

Ditto on all counts. It honestly seems that the people going into it with no preconceptions are finding it acceptable (with the caveat being that their Internet latency is reasonable).

#pcmasterrace froths at the mouth that's anything other than "local content zero lag 144 fps Steam only I hate Epic" anyway. If they were to be believed on anything at all, mobile and console gaming would all be "dead" too. And yet, here we are, with all markets thriving happily in co-existence and choice being an available thing.

Almost like it's in beta?

I would expect this at this point. Great if it opens up, but it's not a make-or-break feature for me.

16. RnR

RnR Member

There is a fair few positive reports from European users over at /r/Stadia. Seems if your networking is top tiered, there won't be any problems. Any reviewers having issues should recheck their bandwidth.

17. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Yeah, just set my Stadia up and had an hours go on Samurai Shodown and then Destiny 2.

Pros:
    Seems fine. Works like a console. Boots fast, loads games fast. I had zero issue at all playing either game.
    It would be the cheapest way to get Destiny 2 if you had NOTHING, no PC, no Console.

Cons:
    The ongoing costs involved, ie: needing a subscription AND paying full price for games seems like a steep entry for your wallet. At least PS Plus gives you access to deals.

Verdict:
    Seems like cool tech. The controller is nice, the fact that the game is playing basically playstation level of gameplay streamed through a tiny hockey puck of a device is pretty cool. I don't think it's terrible, but I'm also not about to start another console games library. I'm already heavily invested in Playstation, as well as PC gaming. I'll be picking up any free shit they throw out, but that's it.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    RnR likes this.
  18. elvis

It's the "I didn't buy it, therefore it's dead" mindset.

This alone is why I think it will succeed. For folks not financially invested in gaming, it offers a low barrier of entry to Triple-A gaming.

They get you in the long run, but so does any subscription service really.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  19. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Where are you located? VPN?

20. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Canada now, 600mbit connection. So yeah, not really useful to the Australian audience for use-case I guess.

So for me, the infrastructure is in place to make this a viable thing.

RnR likes this.