Google TV makes its way to Australia

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by csimpson, Jun 7, 2012.

1. csimpson

csimpson Member

Sony banks on Google TV in Australia

Despite a couple of hiccups -- saying their own TV/Blu-ray web browsing is terrible, saying that you don't need to wave your hands when the remote has motion control -- Sony looks to be onto something interesting with this Google TV box.

They've done abysmally in the US -- Logitech stopped making the Revue, Intel gave up on the partnership, and Google is still working on getting Ice Cream Sandwich going -- but it'll be interesting to see whether there's a market here.

Thoughts?

2. ck_psy

ck_psy Member

i think so.

foxtel has the monopoly over here whereas in the states theres much more competition.

3. Zee

Zee Member

If they can sell you Yank TV shows, and stream them on the US release date, they may have a winner.

A quick browse through Google Play on my phone a few seconds ago reveals no TV shows...

Z...

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Stylish unit, I like it. Love the idea of motion control remote also.

5. Roj X Mugwump

Roj X Mugwump Member

I'll take two if the dollars are right... if its 300 theyre dreaming...

6. tyga

tyga Member

Any competition to Foxtel would be welcome.

The advertising on Foxtel has become unbearable, with the constant insurance adds and the fact that I'm actually paying good money for this shit.

7. Cask

Cask Member

:thumbup::thumbup:

plus, here we are quite restricted as to what we can watch without ads. It amazes me how non-terrestrial channels can have so many bloody commercial breaks. I pay about $150 a month for Foxtel (the full package thing) and yet it's full of ads and the Hard Drives always suck

8. OP
    OP
    csimpson

csimpson Member

I think it's extremely unlikely that it's going to include any unique streaming TV options. It'll mostly just be Androidesque apps on TVs.

9. power

power Member

So STOP PAYING FOR IT!!!

seriously paytv users whinge about this and then continue to pay.

I personally refuse to sign up for PayTV until they allow me to chose the channels I want and ONLY what I want and the pricing is reasonable.

10. Imitation

Imitation Member

It's available to preorder here for $199. I wouldn't mind one but I'd rather not pay more than $200ish considering what's inside and what it's capable of. I'd pay $300 for a GTV STB that's an actual tuner with built a built in DVR vs. a pass through as it is now.

11. Cask

Cask Member

Capitalism, but in all seriousness I don't watch TV much (family does though) and I find comfort in waiting to get tor....anyway...nts

12. OP
    OP
    csimpson

csimpson Member

So the 'Sony Internet TV Player with Google TV' will only be bundled with two BRAVIA LED TVs at its launch (this Thursday).

Sony says its RRP will be $349 (way way too expensive), but you won't even be able to buy one at that price until they are sold stand-alone, which isn't even a sure thing.

13. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

Your doing it wrong.. :Pirate:

Interesting concept, it really needs a pay per view option. $7 a month would suffice..

14. Pirki

Pirki Member

Unless they can provide the content that is useful this will fizzle.

Movies : Available is on the play store.
    Music : Spotify? or equivalent
    TV shows : ???

does not seem like a matured and fully integrated product as yet.

Wonder if XBMC can be installed on it.

15. n2o_spark

n2o_spark Member

Had a play with the new sony google tv box. The unit is really fast, and the remote works very well. The keyboard is on the small side for those with large fingers, but the keys are domed to make it a little easier. The only draw back is the lack of online content as there are U.S only restrictions with the best providers. But it will stream content nicely over a.home network :) overall a great unit. We just need more aussie content!

16. Wet Sandwich

Wet Sandwich Member

Would love to pay good money for this, but if it's got exclusive bundling bullsht going on already and still subject to all the content restrictions, what's it even going to offer above just being a set top box with android on it?

If I can watch my breaking bad and walking dead the day it's on TV in America, then you can shut up and take my money.

17. matty_0508

matty_0508 Member

Manufacturers are spending big bucks developing, advertising and promoting smart tvs. I might be wrong but doesn't the google TV box do the exact same thing?

What would be the benifit of a google tv box when u already have "SMART" TV?

18. Imitation

Imitation Member

19. OP
    OP
    csimpson

csimpson Member

I took a look at one of these yesterday, and it failed to make a good impression on me. It was a big letdown apart from the Chrome browser and YouTube (both of which are excellent) - the Google Play store is full of shit apps that don't work particularly well.

The only two worthwhile ones I saw were Plex (for streaming from your home network) and AirTight (for AirPlay devices). The Sony box's media player was 'coming soon', and it pre-installed apps for Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, and HBO Go - all of which are unusable in Australia.

20. Daedalus01

Daedalus01 Member

can xbmc be installed and if so is it powerful enough to play 1080p mkvs? if so then its a serious contender