Google's augmented-reality glasses

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by hosh0, Apr 5, 2012.

1. OP
    OP
    hosh0

hosh0 Member

What crack are you smoking man? They are currently for sale for 1500 if you get to be part of the prototype testing. Google have stated it will sell for less than that when it's released and they are aiming for a price point around the cost of a smart phone.

For me the biggest deal breaker will be if these are an add-on to a smart phone, if I need my phone and just tether this to that, then there is no real point as my phone battery won't last long enough to make it worth it.

Anyway can't wait for Google I/O

2. OP
    OP
    hosh0

hosh0 Member

Not even at the point where they are nothing more then a contact lense? (not even joking that is the long term goal for these that is already being worked on).

3. IzzehO

IzzehO Member

A full complete YEAR after I posted. I also at no point said it wasn't possible. In fact I said in 4-5 installments we very easily could have what was in the video.

So almost 2 years after I posted they'll have an initial device to ship (but then they initially said they'd be available end of 2012, so who knows). It still hasn't been shown to implement any of the advanced functions (or even some of the basic ones) in the original video, and probably still won't by then. Which, as I correctly identified at the time, was simply conjured up by a marketing team 'to make the general public feel fuzzy'.

No plans for 3G/4G capability built in, I suspect its a battery drain issue. So unless you're in a wireless zone then you'll be tethering.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  4. OP
    OP
    hosh0

hosh0 Member

Wait you did watch the video of people already using it right? It already has things like directions in front of you, chatting to people via the headset, weather etc.
    In fact what did it show in the original clip that it doesn't currently have other than directions within the bookstore??

5. coderx

coderx Member

The kind of crack that makes me read the last line in a post I'm replying to...
    Try some :)

<----

10 - 15 years ago these types of products had price tags of $20K upwards. I was actually told not to work on any kind of VR / Augmented reality as it's never going anywhere and to stick with "ambient systems" instead.

And well, here we are :)

Edit: had to add the obligatory : Shutup and take my money!

6. IzzehO

IzzehO Member

Directions, for a start, is a big one that I think will take years to adapt (although if it can be configured with glasses themselves, maybe shorter. The fact that this is a heads up display 'style' display in the corner of your vision as opposed to what initially came across as transparent LCDs that could occupy your full vision (and are further off technologically). Which I honestly think they will have to move toward if they want to replace mobile devices as I feel the heads up style is always going to cause headaches/be relatively awkward.

We have a (granted less refined) product here at Motorola that works on a similar principle for industrial use:
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/09/motorola-solutions-hc1-hands-on/

It's actually reasonably practical for warehouse use etc. but there's no way I'd want to be using one as a replacement for a mobile device.

7. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

But it's damp, and I'm lonely. People keep bringing their cameras and I keep scaring them away. :Pirate:

Humblebum was spot on. You on the other hand wrote a wall of text that I'm too lazy to read! If only I had a pair of magic glasses that would make me give a shit. :tongue:

8. OP
    OP
    hosh0

hosh0 Member

Yeah they already have directions working as part of Glass as it is today. From day one it was never about being directly over your eyes, the core principle of it is technology that is there and ready when you need it and out of the way when you don't. They purposfully went with a screen that is outside your normal vision (infact their early prototypes were screens in front as it was far easier to make than what they currently have).

Your post screams to me that you haven't watched either vid I posted yet.

9. IzzehO

IzzehO Member

I was responding to you, who YOURSELF, said directions within the bookstore wasn't shown (perhaps I should have been more specific.... but given I quoted it I thought I'd be safe from having to elaborate). To me, that was a major function touted in the original video: that you could have direction augmentation regardless of where you are (which is another thing simply not possible today: indoor GPS). On that tangent, something I think does have the possibility of being available sooner rather than later, with wifi based RTLS starting to show up in retail shops (i.e. ekahau/motorola's airdefense), we may just see API's in wireless start to evolve to provide localization data to shoppers.

You also seem to fail to appreciate the difference between a 'screen infront' and a transparent LCD. The ability to have something occupy your full vision when you want it to (i.e. reading significant amounts of text/watching basic videos) and then allowing it to minimize to a corner (mimicking the exact current functionality) IS what the original video showed.

Your post screams to me that you haven't even bothered to understand the points I'm trying to make, nor my viewpoint. I'm extremely excited by this project and it's capacity to push the scope of AR/VR, but I am damn sure going to argue the fact that I was correct on my initial summation.

10. ewok85

ewok85 Member

The possible uses of this is going to be amazing, and once the product is out we will see uses which were never even considered before. For example one of the best uses of my iPhone was taking it on runs and having it use GPS to track my speed, distance and time so I could compare runs.

11. IzzehO

IzzehO Member

Absolutely love MyTracks under Android for trail riding. If it were just a little bit more accurate it would be a fantastic tool for creating/detailing tracks for others to follow. I can also appreciate how that could be adopted to a heads up display.

I think one of the 'coolest' advancements in this technology will be depth cameras to allow real (or should I say accurate) augmented reality/computer vision. The ability to harvest full blown 3 dimensional data could potentially revolutionize so many different products and industries (as we've already seen in a far less portable device i.e. the kinect)

12. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Directions in shopping centres is a feature of google maps already, for select locations. Given this just uses google maps, then that effectively already is supported. Support locations for things in specific stores is up to the specific stores to add support for that.
    Essentially, not being in central vision is the only thing that won't be supported from those videos, and it's not really surprising to me if they've sussed out that having information in your central vision isn't a great thing for something you wear while you're out and about or driving... I can see that in other situations it might be lovely to have though. I'd like to see it capable of displaying in central vision for augmented reality purposes. I don't really want a map right in front of my eyes, but I'm sure you could dream up some rather ingenius things to display, especially if you had a screen on both eyes so 3D display is supported. For example, displaying your GPS directions on the road itself would be quite doable.

13. mantaray

mantaray Member

Huge privacy concerns here, watch out for all the class actions.
    I for one will not appreciate being photographed or videoed without my knowledge.
    Hang on isn't it too late to worry about that,big brother has been doing it for years, now the weirdo's have the ability( if they have $1500) :Paranoid:

14. Blizz

Blizz Member

At least Big Brother doesn't upload the video of me acting like a drunken tool to Youtube.

15. kangathekat

kangathekat (Banned or Deleted)

im going to laugh my ass off at the neckbeard rednecks that arn't using stuff like this in 5-6years time when its as normal as "facebook"

16. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

They have the ability now.... With cameras and phones.... Why do you think staring at you intently with a relatively low resolution camera, with a glowing light attached to your head would in some way be far less inconspicuous than someone discretely holding a smart phone. They don't even need to hold the smart phone up nor do they have to look in your direction to be able to film or photograph you. Same deal with a camera, though holding a camera is probably a bit more conspicuous since they only have one use unlike a phone. People had similar complaints about camera phones once.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Better not step out of your house ever again then.

18. Lichking

Lichking Member

I'm waiting for the first fatality...someone reading his/her emails/watching youtube or some other can't be without it bullshit wandering in front of a car and getting hit while crossing a road.

It'll happen sure as shit. Personally I'm gunna just lmao.

19. meremortal

meremortal Member

Like bluetooth headsets used to be? LOL

Whatever. It's a cool sci-fi device for sure.

Actually wearing one of them each day for long periods of time and getting benefit is another story.

Time will tell.

20. AzzX

AzzX Member

"Black Mirror" The Entire History of You pretty much dramatised the exact social significance and impact of such a device, albeit more advanced yet just as disconcerting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bFCqK81s7Y