GoPro footage Pixelated on YouTube

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Sven76, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Sven76

Sven76 Member

I have been googling for hours and find plenty of people with the issue but no one actually giving an answer to my situation.
    What I did:- I have uploaded 4 videos now from the same day from the same GoPro but in different ways. The 1st video was made in windows movie maker the 2nd video was made in premiere 12 both were encoded to MP4 highest quailty saved to computer then uploaded to YouTube through my channel. The 3rd and 4th videos were directly uploaded through the application Premier 12 and Windows Movie maker onto the YouTube site.
    The Problem:-If i look at the video directly from the GoPro or from the file saved on my computer the picture is perfect and clear. The video YouTube shows has pixelation(Motion Blur) even on 1080p setting. This happens no matter how I process the file. I have even uploaded the file directly from the GoPro with no post production at all for the same result.
    Question:- Is there something I am doing wrong? I have certainly watched other YouTube videos that seem clearer. I have used the recommended settings from YouTube. Is this just YouTube assuming the footage would be shit and they have over enhanced it?

2. NuZo

NuZo Member

Hey Mate,

i have a similar issue, i have a theory that youtube dedicates more processing power to more popular channels. which leaves us little channels with crappy encoding.

I've uploaded videos in 120, 60, 48, 30, 24 FPS and they all look the same on youtube, i think they render it down to 30fps regardless, it's annoying because you lose so much clarity in moving objects. not to mention you go to the effort of recording something a specific way for them to just not bother.

also it takes them a while to pickup proper 1080p reso on my video's. the option is there not long after upload, but it takes a few hours before it actually becomes clean/clear(ish).

oh well, maybe use vimio?

Cheers,

Nuzo

3. Zee

Zee Member

Just on a side note - perhaps mount the camera *not* on the handlebars - the sudden jerky motions on that type of terrain actually make me feel sick.

I normally feel like that after a few hours of FPS gaming. That took just a minute.

As to your issue, I suspect it is lot like Photobucket - your content is compressed to reduce the amount of sie required.

1080P is very rarely 1080P...

Z...

4. mcrow5

mcrow5 Member

i have the same issue, looks fine on my pc, upload to youtube, its 240p quality. even though it was shot at 1080p quality and saved as 1080p quality. upload it to vimeo though and ive had no issues :thumbup:

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

If you're uploading to YouTube, convert the footage yourself to 30fps webm first. Get the quality settings you like, then upload.

If you want better quality online, use Vimeo. Most professionals host their show reels on vimeo for good reason. YouTube is for cat videos and shaky cam iPhone uploads.

6. OP
    OP
    Sven76

Sven76 Member

I understand completely the problem is mounting it on me isn't an option and helmets cams shit me I like to look around a lot :) So miss most of the track. Was thinking of some how on the frame but that can tend to get too low. I might buy the roll bar mount and put it on the frame stem head next time.

Thanks everyone else for confirming what I thought its just crappy youtube might have to make a vimeo account. This stuff is just for my own enjoyment and few friends that are away so not too worried about who sees it.

7. OP
    OP
    Sven76

Sven76 Member

I used the Chest mount for this footage I think it is better but I still need to mount it higher up on my chest to stop some pedal bob.

Also I did this in Windows Movie Maker saved it as High Definition Display and it seems to have uploaded to Youtube as much better quality. Weird messed around with more expensive editing programs and the free one looks better lol.