GoPro Hero 3+ (New Version Released!)

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by DaCrusader, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Awesome video man, making me even keener haha. Love japan. Hopefully this NZ season is good though :) Think i'll get both head and chest, but the chest footage looks awesome.

What about those anti fog inserts, are they worth it? I'm sure theres a cheaper alternative haha.

2. xishnik

xishnik Member

you may want to look into mounting the helmet mount on the side. It will give a view of helmet+goggles so will have some kind of framing to the image and gopro will not get in the way of lifting goggles up when in a queue or walking around.

If you have a broken ski pole at home, use that to make a pole mount. even for skiers it will give a great view.

3. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Yea, guess i'll have to play around and see what I like. I thought about manufacturing up a mount using U bolts so I could strap the gopro to one of my ski poles, instead of having to carry around a third pole :p

4. darksilencer

darksilencer Member

So picked up a gopro the other day with the 399 sale and was wondering where you all get your accessories from, it seems pricing locally is much more than the states and there are some import restrictions too.

Any suggestions would be amazing otherwise ill goto the local.

5. bonox

bonox Member

importing wasabi power batteries gets you 2 batteries (better imo than the factory unit) and a universal AC/12DC charger for about the same total cost as 1 genuine battery locally. I use amazon.

I make my own mounts, so others should comment on that if you don't want to do the same.

Kingston class 10 cards I use are about equal locally to overseas, so I by them here.

6. Grvm

Grvm (Banned or Deleted)

I got the bulk of my accessories direct from the gopro store, worked out cheaper then local once freight was applied.

As for the wasabi batteries they are pretty good, a mob on eBay out of Sydney does the charger + 2 batteries + the 240v adaptor for 42 bucks which is decent value.

The wasabi batteries last a bit longer as well being 1200mah

7. jamiemao

jamiemao Member

got $500 to spare. been thinkin bout getting one of these. but has anyone here ran into the numerous issues outlined in the amazon reviews? its kinda putting me off getting one.

8. archersaurus

archersaurus (Banned or Deleted)

The latest firmware fixes the bulk of the issues.

Be warned, yes the battery life is very ordinary, and yes prepare to spend another couple of hundred on accessories and microsd cards.

9. darksilencer

darksilencer Member

Anyone have any thoughts comparing swapping out batteries with a wasabi kit or just using a extended bacpac battery, trying to toss up between the two.

Thanks for the shopping tips by the way, very helpful!

10. Grvm

Grvm (Banned or Deleted)

Depends. If your using a 32gb card and shooting with 1080p @ 60fps your battery life will last roughly the same time as the memory card (so 1hr 30min)

I've got both, but only tend to use the bacpacs when I'm doing time lapse shoots

11. bonox

bonox Member

an hour of the same stuff is very hard to watch and you'll ditch most of the footage anyway (or you'll never watch it again). Take the advantage of moving camera positions etc to change the battery if it's needed, or get used to using the remote to turn it on/off.

Once you're familiar with it, it's surprising what kind of contortions you can do to manually start/stop it as well.

12. jamiemao

jamiemao Member

pulled the trigger yesterday and got one.

got it from JB hifi. I had a look around but JB is the only real retailer selling aussie stock. I dont mind paying a little extra knowing that I can just bring it back and get a new one if anything happens.

got a hero3 black, battery bacpac, and the tripod adapter for $540. 20 bucks off. not too shabby.

pretty happy with it so far. today will be the first time i get to try it in daylight so it wont look as noisy as it did when i tested it in my room last night.

any tips or tricks or anything i need to look out for?

13. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

I'd highly recommend the LCD screen. Much easier to change settings and make sure the camera is pointed in the right direction (I use my GoPro in the car a lot so that is useful). The car adapter is a must if using it in the car too.

Don't change cards while the camera is on.

Start buying hard drives (and micro SD cards). The footage takes up loads of space.

Puzzle over how to do anything with MP4 files as I did. I convert them to AVI first now.
    See if you can work out how to use 64GB cards. I bought one and the camera was the only thing that could read it!

14. jamiemao

jamiemao Member

i didnt get the LCD screen as i figured i can do the same thing by using the gopro app on my iphone. so that sasves a bit of money.

and yes i gotta agree with the space issue. i gotta get a new hard drive to fit all the unedited footage in.

15. cvidler

cvidler Member

in my experience, the app is laggy, and the wifi connection sucks the juice on the already limited battery life.

I use the screen instead.

16. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Well finally decided to order one...not sure whether to sell my gopro 2 or keep it to get other angles simultaneously...plan to use mainly at The Ranchâ„¢ to video rally driving (evidence for records heh), dirt biking and 4wding :)

Ended up just ordering off gopro.com....came to $628 including postage for Gopro 3 black, 64gb sandisk ultra memory card, battery bacpac and suction cup mount.

17. Mr DOHC

Mr DOHC Member

Can I get some help from the audio guys out there?
    I have tried my camera on the same racecar over 2 events with 2 different mounts. The one that sounds quite muffled it a massive manfrotto roll cage mount that is designed for a DSLR, the better sounding one is the genuine handle bar mount, but it has a tendency to move.
    Can anyone tell me why the good mount might make it sound like shit?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iBxQ4Qi28hQ

18. jamiemao

jamiemao Member

hi guys a question regarding the firmware.

i manually updated my gopro3's firmware so i copy and pasted the files onto the microsd. after the gopro has been updated, can i delete the files on the card?

19. cvidler

cvidler Member

Yes, just use the gopro to format the card.

20. bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

Guys
    Got lmtd internet cover but need some help
    Four day old silver gopro worked fine
    Today video stops after ten seconds
    Yesterday vids got green screen only
    Memory card is empty battery is full
    What could be the problem?