GoPro Hero 3+ (New Version Released!)

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by DaCrusader, Oct 17, 2012.

1. jamiemao

jamiemao Member

you've obviously updated the firmware right?

2. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

What software do people use to get clips ready for youtube? Cineform seems to spit out very large .mp4 which take a while to upload.

Don't want to sacrifice quality though.

Also why does gopro split up video files? Is there a 4gb file size limit on SD card or something? I'm using a 64gb sandisk ultra. My gopro2 did it and my gopro3black does it as well. Quite annoying because I have to install more software to merge the video since cineform can't do that either.

Apart from that I'm very happy with the gopro 3 black. 1440p48 recording looks absolutely amazing, significantly better than gopro2. Battery life with the bacpac seems acceptable enough though I haven't used it long enough to see properly yet.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  3. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Youtube has raped the quality quite badly and seems to have cut it back from 48fps too. Any way around this? Was shot in 1440p48

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  4. cvidler

cvidler Member

It's not SD card specific, but rather the file system used (FAT) has a 4GB file size limit. no getting around that.

As for upload sizes. quality = size. Reducing the size will have an impact on quality. The codec gopro uses is already about the smallest you can get for the quality you get.

5. bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

Yup. Just back from leave. Wifey bought me a go pro while we were away and we used it for a few days before it cacked itself. I had an idea that the GP's had some issues, but wasnt sure if the one i had were standard issues or new.

With no real internet coverage all i could do was wait and see.

Just done the update, and all seems good, thanks.

6. xishnik

xishnik Member

spent a couple of days using GP3BE on the snow. It def is not as solid as the prev versions. It wouldn't switch off a few time so I had to take the battery out while in lift queue. 1080 recording on a cheap 18MB/s 32GB card worked fine. No problems with video. Battery backpack lasted long enough for a days of riding in AU, I do switch camera off on lifts and don't film each and every run.

time will tell if this version is an improvement as a action camera or not.

7. WhatMACHI

WhatMACHI Member

I was hoping the issues would have been sorted by now. But seems people are still having problems with it.

I picked up a Black edition for a good price and will be taking it to the snow alongside a Hero2, so should be able to make a minor comparison regarding reliability haha

8. csimpson

csimpson Member

Any discounts on any of these anywhere? Considering one of these for a DIY drone I'm speccing up.

9. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

I had no issues with my Black at the snow/in NZ, apart from the terrible battery life. No lockups, no overheating, all recordings look good, etc etc.

The battery life is absolutely terrible though. The cold didn't help. 50 minutes of on time and the battery was completely drained, after only 15 minutes of recording (1080p30, wifi off).

Just rubbish.

10. WhatMACHI

WhatMACHI Member

That battery life you had seems lower than what most people have experienced.

How many cycles have been through the battery? I've heard some people say after the first few cycles the battery life improves a tiny bit (although still pretty terrible in general). But people definitely get more than 15 min of record time.

11. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

I'd dare say it was affected by the cold, as well. 15 minutes was harsh, maybe more like 25-30mins. Fully charged battery, got on the slopes by 9:30am, probably about ~1-1.5hours of being turned on in total, 30 mins of recording (turned on at the top of the lift, start recording at the start of the run, stopped at the end and turned off going back up the lift, repeat ~5-8 runs), and by the time lunch time rolled around the battery would be dead. Max 30 mins recording, i'd say.

Both batteries have been cycled about 5 times each, probably could do with some more, but yea.

:o

12. Grvm

Grvm (Banned or Deleted)

If the wifi is on it really chews the juice. I use the wasabi 1200 batteries and get around 45min recording at 1080. 60fps wide frame with protune, battery bacpac doubles that

13. Mr DOHC

Mr DOHC Member

Link for battery?

14. Grvm

Grvm (Banned or Deleted)

Google not working?

If you search wasabi battery gopro 3 you might get what your asking

15. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

With the black ed. out of the box, what options is there to attach to a motorbike/helmet? just the sticker?

16. mortal

mortal Member

When mountain biking what's the best way to mount these things?

17. clonex

clonex Member

Helmet or handle bar mount which fits around a few locations on the bike.
    Less shake on footage on the helmet but maybe thats just cause its a rigid setup for me

18. mortal

mortal Member

How about chest mount, seem to be popular. I don't like the chances of it surviving on my helmet, pretty low branches where I ride.

19. bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

I went out today to buy the handlebar/seat post mount for my mountain bike. Before leaving, i read some reviews on the gopro site and the mount is caned for breaking and not having a good fit. I checked the pictures, and it shows the mount including some rubber "grips" that go between the handle bars and the mount to give a tight fit.

Some of the reviews on gopro said there kit didnt come with the rubber, sounded strange. Went to the shops and found a kit and guess what, no rubber cushions.

For ppl using the handlebar and seat post mount, has the fit to your bike been OK and did your mount come with the rubber spacer???

20. Mr DOHC

Mr DOHC Member

Here's a massive tip, don't mount it to your handle bars. Rough as all buggery.
    Mount it to your helmet.

Ill post 2 vids in a sec