GoPro Hero 3+ (New Version Released!)

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by DaCrusader, Oct 17, 2012.

1. ItsDanK

ItsDanK Member

Quite a few of the tests on the GPH2 that I saw had constant recording at around 2 hours which is pretty decent. Granted, if I'm only really getting one for snowboarding and scuba diving then it's just a case of getting an additional battery for snowboarding and well, if I'm down for more than an hour scuba diving I'm either breathing really slowly or dead.

2. aokman

aokman Member

i would love to see 2hrs out of mine, stopping and starting etc for events im lucky to get 1hr.

3. Tinian

Tinian Member

I get about 60 odd minutes from a reasonably new battery.

4. aokman

aokman Member

im expecting even less from the new one, the battery is slightly smaller and the WIFI runs off the internal battery instead of having an extra inside the WIFI bacpac on the old one.

5. kally

kally Member

Depends what you use it for? 4k resolution is ridiculous and a gimmick at 15fps, I'm sure the vast majority of users will not need any more than 1080p@30fps, and that's why the white edition is so attractive, better and cheaper than the Hero2.

6. ItsDanK

ItsDanK Member

4K is a bit meh seeing as I won't be buying a 25,000 dollar TV anytime soon but the 1080p @ 60FPS is what got me for the black. Pretty much, that is the defining feature that makes this camera such a nice buy.

Granted YouTube only allows 30FPS uploads the extra 30FPS you film at gives quite a few options in the way of slowing footage down by 50 percent without any loss in smoothness.

The "take photos whilst filming" option is pretty useful as well if you're planning on investing on a pretty large class 10 microSD.

7. Killer Bee

Killer Bee Member

720p at 120fps, oh yeah thats worth the upgrade for me. With after affects you can get that sucker right down for super slowmo's

8. Mudhoney

Mudhoney Member

How many people are getting one? I'm definitely in, currently selling my gopro 2. A thread on whirlpool has a pre-order price for the black at $439 from Braaap and I have found a place that will beat that slightly for small orders, or significantly for 10+. Group buy? Looks like they won't be on deck here until mid-Dec and then in limited quantities.

9. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

I'll grab one when I'm over seas... with any luck Singapore will have them Duty free.

10. ItsDanK

ItsDanK Member

Singapore is not that cheap anymore unfortunately even in the airports or Sim Lim it's often cheaper to buy it in Australia. Some items like Razer products or graphics cards were almost 30 to 40% more expensive and I don't quite understand it myself.

I travel to Singapore 3 or 4 times a year and I'll be there on November 16th heading to the Battlenet World Championships. If I see some I'll take a photo of the price and post it here.

11. kryzak260

kryzak260 Member

Im keen to grab one - i want mine for a new years trip if i can get hold of one!

12. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

If anyone is going to offload their version 2 cheap and I mean cheap - let me know.

Am subbed to the thread tokeep in contact - cant wait for some of you guys to post some footage using it.

13. Mudhoney

Mudhoney Member

Just sold my GP2. They seem to be holding their value surprisingly well, considering.

Looks like there is plenty of interest on Whirlpool for a group buy.

edit: don't post on Whirlpool re: group buy as it is against their rules. Post here instead and I will ask WP people to post here.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  14. ItsDanK

ItsDanK Member

LOL looks like the WP group buy is headed this direction.

15. Mudhoney

Mudhoney Member

I count about 18 WP'ers who are interested - easily enough to get the discount. The shop guy is telling me early-mid December and is confirming quantities he will have with GoPro. Someone else has told me it is risky for delivery this year because all the stock may get held up at Customs in the Christmas rush.

16. aokman

aokman Member

where is the group buy from, i don't see it happening if its from overseas...

ill be selling my HERO2's and wifi packs, they will hold their resale i think as the silver is the same thing anyway just different packaging and less battery life. The seperate wifi packs are a bit more annoying to charge tho.

17. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

I can tell you right now if you're trying to organise a group buy on gopro, gopro already know about it and will kybosh it.

18. aokman

aokman Member

wouldn't surprise me, GoPRO are assholes all around when it comes to this sort of stuff, i almost went with Contours just to vote with my wallet.

19. Mudhoney

Mudhoney Member

Why would they do that if we're buying through one of their retailers?

20. ItsDanK

ItsDanK Member

I think he means a group buy on the GoPro Website.