1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

GoPro Hero 3+ (New Version Released!)

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by DaCrusader, Oct 17, 2012.

1. riccoo

riccoo Member

go pro has better colour, sony seems white washed to me?

2. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Hey guys, random bump for this thread. Still loving my Hero3BE, don't get that many chances to use it, but it's awesome when I do.

The one thing that still annoys me is the serious lack of battery life. I'll get like an hour, maybe 1.5 hours max out of a battery. I do have the battery backpack, but it doubles the size of the camera and makes some of the attachments not work that great.

So, anyone have any tips or trips on how best to maximize the battery life? Or is it just me being daft?

3. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

I'd say its more GoPro being daft. Low battery life is one of the main downsides of the GoPro.

On the topic of polarisers, I just got back from a driving holiday and the polariser worked very well at reducing reflections through the windscreen of my car. However, it reduced the contrast a fair bit. I've had to reduce the brightness and increase the contrast during processing. Had to buy a new hard drive too as I brought back 500GB of footage which had to be converted into another 500GB of AVI footage.

4. Unframed

Unframed Member

HD Hero 1 and 2 had great battery life. I've filmed for 8hrs on 1 standard battery on the HD Hero 1 at 1080p.

5. nordica-k2

nordica-k2 (Banned or Deleted)

Yeha, unfortunately the battery hasn't kept up with the quality of the 3 and 3+
    Then again, I'd gladly carry a spare battery or two for the quality boost.

6. Mr DOHC

Mr DOHC Member

7. Unframed

Unframed Member

This is true. A trade off people have to decide what is most important.
    Not sure I see why battery took such a hit.

8. bonox

bonox Member

anyone seen a self hovering aerial platform capable of supporting one of these at up to 30 metres?

that doesn't break the bank?

9. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

Really? What is so different about the Hero 3 that battery life is 1/8 of the Hero 1? 8 hours would be great!

10. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Shame, i'd take a hit in the size department for better battery life..... I guess that's what the battery backpack is for, though.

11. bonox

bonox Member

i'm calling bullshit since the manf claims max 2.5 hours in warm conditions

http://gopro.com/support/articles/battery-life

12. Unframed

Unframed Member

I did manage an 8 hour session, maybe 7. It was morning till afternoon and the battery died at the end of the session after 5 batteries in my XL2. I was very surprised by the performance but it did happen.

Edit: Does this count for timelapse too? I've got continuous 5+ hr timelapses on the HD Hero 1 too.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  13. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

8 hours does seem a bit much, maybe they had some aggressive power saving going on?

Either way, I get about an hour with my H3. Worst was... wait for it, 15 minutes. 10 minutes of standby + 5 minutes of actually shooting = full to dead. To be fair it was cold out (NZ), but still, kinda pathetic.

14. Unframed

Unframed Member

Not sure, no screen or anything on it, was bare bones gopro and lasted 99% of the day.

15. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

Has anyone had much luck using 64GB cards with a GoPro? Nothing I have will read it. The GoPro works fine with it, but none of my card readers can read it and the computer doesn't read it when I plug the GoPro in using the USB cable. Always get the error that the card is not formatted. Yet the two photos (that I don't really want to lose) show up fine on the GoPro itself.

16. Mr DOHC

Mr DOHC Member

The first rule of gopros is you don't use 64gb cards. They never work.

17. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

Do they not work in the GoPro or in the computer? My card seems to work fine in the GoPro, but not in anything else!

18. bonox

bonox Member

my kingston class 10 64GB has been working fine for nearly 2 years now. (model SDCX10/64)

I think many of the issues related to the UHC models or people using FAT32 or readers stuck on the 32gig barrier..

Mine went into the camera, camera had firmware updated, then camera used to format the card. Been fine since day 1 and been filled a few times and had about 60 hours through it so far.

19. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

What OS are you using and what card reader? I think my problem is either my card readers or my computer. Card works fine in the camera itself.

20. tyb1987

tyb1987 Member

I would like to use Gopro 3 Black to capture a timelapse of 10 hours activity(Work related).

I have a 64gb memory card that should be sufficient for 5 seconds interval timer timelapse. However how can I extend the battery life to last for 10 hours?

Is power bank work while we doing time lapse on GoPro? Will it burn the GoPro if we charging it while its working for long period of time?

Is there any alternative solution for it? Thanks