GoPro Hero 3+ (New Version Released!)

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by DaCrusader, Oct 17, 2012.

1. the_fuzz

the_fuzz Member

how does this compare to the new Sony action cam?

Going to Fiji and want a camera to use underwater - was going to grab a gopro, but the Sony looks pretty dam good and cheaper?

2. ItsDanK

ItsDanK Member

I can't really compare but the GP looks pretty damn good underwater. I'm interested to see what Sony brought to the table seeing as they actually make the sensors themselves but I think it'll be a case of the experiential changes the Go pro has made over three generations vs Sony's first notable outing in this area of the market.

3. Anakist

Anakist Member

I nearly bought a GP2 two weeks ago. Glad I didn't now because the Black is a lot more camera for about the same money!

It says shipping is $9.95 to Australia for UPS Ground. Checking out to confirm takes it to $84.95 for Fed Ex. Damn them!

James

4. WhatMACHI

WhatMACHI Member

The only problem i see with the sony action cam is that its a physically long camera, so mounting on the side of things is okay, but mounting on the front face of something means it protrudes quite a bit :p

5. aokman

aokman Member

same money? the HERO2 was around $280USD for the motorsport kit with mounts etc... the new one is $400USD with no mounts... if you include wifi kits and what not its similar

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  6. Mudhoney

Mudhoney Member

7. Anakist

Anakist Member

I looked in a couple of shops and they were all $399. The black is $489.01 on the link further up, or $399 plus shipping from the states plus whatever is gained or lost through the exchange rate.

Pretty close in my opinion.

James

8. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

GoPro, in my experience are very legally aggressive as a company. Their distributor model is.. interesting. We don't sell them due to these issues.

I can tell you GoPro employs a team of people to scour the internet and take action against people they don't like.

9. aokman

aokman Member

The old ones have always been under 300usd

The new ones are close match because those shops arnt selling Aussie stock they are reselling from the US which gopro don't like

Just remember you need mounts aswell if your doing Motorsport or similar which is costly when you add it all together.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  10. aokman

aokman Member

Not wrong, i may re-evaluate if the Sony one ends up being good, i dont like dealing with companies that use such tactics to control the market.

11. Flohrie

Flohrie Member

Subbed, I will be upgrading my Hero2 :D

12. cvidler

cvidler Member

I'll be wanting two for summernats and the new season of racing, but looks like timing may not work out, thanks GoPro.

13. enzo_450

enzo_450 Member

Missus has ordered one apparently.

Need to suss out cards and where to get a couple of the mounts (handlebar, chest and suction cap?), can't find if these work with the Hero 2 mounts? :confused:

14. aokman

aokman Member

they work fine with hero2 mounts, chest you can get from jbhifi, suction cup you will need to hunt around for as most people get the motorsport kits that they had with the hero2's, think they are like $50-60 seperately. Roll bar mount is easy to find usually.

15. enzo_450

enzo_450 Member

Thanks for the heads up :thumbup:

16. SaMbO

SaMbO Member

the footage coming from teh sony cam looks pretty amazing. I even went so far as to predict to a mate that gopro would be releasing a new product to compete with it..
    the action cam has 720p @ 120 fps & that was pretty much a deal sealer for me, offloading junk on ebay atm so i dont cop too much flack from the mrs.

17. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

With the GoPro Hero 2 sitting at a cool US$199, I think I might just jump in at that point. :)

18. Kow

Kow Member

Anywhere in Australia selling these for a decent amount or should i just go with the USA store?

19. kangathekat

kangathekat (Banned or Deleted)

my idiot brother nearly brought a GP2 for $299 "on special" at jb-hifi

had to slap him and tell him the GP3 was out and to wait and get that.

20. aokman

aokman Member

you wont get one from a US store, only ebay