GoPro Hero 3+ (New Version Released!)

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by DaCrusader, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Mudhoney

Mudhoney Member

It looks that way, except the silver at least has built-in wifi.

2. ItsDanK

ItsDanK Member

Looking to pull the trigger on the Black but I'm wondering if I should wait till I get to Singapore/Shanghai in case they have a few in stock.

3. jamesski

jamesski Member

New firmware is out for Silver and White that allows iPhone Control

4. enzo_450

enzo_450 Member

I should have a look.

Be nice if they could sort it out for the Black with Android in the next month or two...

5. IPW

IPW Member

Was just about to start searching if Android is ahead or behind on this.

I am thinking I want one of these, if nothing more than to make me do more!
    I'm guessing the best way is to just cough up and get it direct from gopro? Has anyone determined a best supply yet?

EDIT: *HERO3 app compatibility will be available for Black Edition on December 14, 2012. - straight off the gopro site right now.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  6. carab

carab Member

There's a comparison on youtube (at work so can't link sorry), the camera itself is very similar to the hero2 however the microphone has been greatly improved, software for the camera has better control in low light and lens is apparently better.

microphone is a big thumbs up for me, it was one main reason why i considered other camera's until now.

7. enzo_450

enzo_450 Member

Thanks for the update IPW.....I hope it comes out exactly then!!!!! Will be leaving for a cruise the day after!

Getting ready for the jetboats in NZ now, picked up a headstrap mount. Bit nervous about losing the damned thing, even though the headstrap is super tight, I picked up a lanyard for it. Lanyard around the neck is attached to the rear of the headstrap, sorted :leet:

The battery/microSD will last the whole jetboat trip, so I'm thinking of just going straight to the 1440p as the manual suggests. Worry about the editing/etc when we get home. Pro-tune is disabled, not concerned seeing as you can add pro-tune effects in processing...so I'm not sure what the point is anyway.

Also got a tripod mount. Digital Camera warehouse, pretty cheap and they had plenty of mounts in stock :thumbup:

Wifi remote works really well, only notice the 'lag' between the camera if you're looking at both, but if the camera's on your head for example, perfect.

The included software package, CineForm, is easy to use. I did a trial stop-motion the other day, battery lasted just under an hour and a half I think (unless there's a built in limit for the stop-motion stuff?). Imported all the images and can set play-back frame-rate easily, looked great. The suction cap mount is $40, will probably pick it up next year. If we want to do a stop motion during the car-trip I think I'll use the big flat mount included in the packaging....and just sit it on the dash! If it moves I'll suss out some masking tape maybe, because I don't want to go putting one of the 3M mounts on the hire car.

Not sure wtf happens with the files, in AVI or MP4 formats (before/after processing)....but VLC player and Windows Media Player both struggle in different ways. Was pretty nervous about it until I realised they played in CineForm fine.....so, will be something to worry about later I guess. Hopefully can figure out how to convert/export them so they play on the mobile/dvd to show people :thumbup:

Certainly open to any last minute tips!!! Missus is in charge of the D700...so I've got the Hero3 :lol:

8. IPW

IPW Member

Enzo is it worth getting? I had a hero3 black, lcd back and battery back in a cart the other night but didn't order as I wanted to see what OCAU said about shipping, all up was going to be around $600 but if I keep having kiting sessions like today, and can get that on video with one of these then it will be so worth it!

You got yours from Ebay yes? No dramas with any of it, I am assuming gopro has their own warranty regardless of reseller?

9. enzo_450

enzo_450 Member

I'm sorry I can help more, I'll speak to the missus seeing as she sorted it out on her own back, and point her to this thread :thumbup:.

So far, no, no drama with anything, all new and everything included. Arrived fairly quickly too. Not sure about the warranty but I'm hoping so.

I've managed to talk her out of the LCD back seeing as the apps aren't too far away. The battery back (still fits in the waterproof housing?) might be a good idea though.

On a side note....her (smaller) DSLR bag was still to bulky to carry the Hero3/accessories around. Kept the accessories in the acrylic surround that the camera came packaged in......a couple of stubbie coolers are just right for the camera and headstrap :lol:.

Will keep an eye out for a couple of small (and soft) drawstring bags.

10. IPW

IPW Member

I got excited and didn't even wait for your reply. I have on the way (from gopro site)
    Black edition - surf
    lcd bacpac
    battery bacpac
    headstrap mount
    helmet mount
    grab bag of mounts

That should keep me busy for a while, specifically for kiting, surfing and 4wding, I'm sure I'll find some other uses for it too!

Cheers for the info too man.

11. Mudhoney

Mudhoney Member

Hey guys, here's a few tips.

1. never charge your battery with the camera on. As per most Li-ion batteries, this confuses the smart charger leading to poorly charged batteries.
    2. Never access the SD card via the cam's USB port. Always take the card out and insert into a card reader in your PC. Same reason as point 1 - having the camera operating while charging may confuse the charging circuit.
    3. Use anti-fog strips in humid environments to prevent fogged-up photos. The camera gets quite warm and can cause condensation inside the case.
    4. Take a look at this video where the guys are using a pole-mount to get nice footage of themselves snowboarding. http://vimeo.com/29592256#at=0

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  12. enzo_450

enzo_450 Member

Cheers. :thumbup:

13. evade

evade Member

never had any issues charging with the camera recording..in car..etc

where'd you hear this from.

14. Mudhoney

Mudhoney Member

Here for starters: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/all_about_chargers
    I think it's reasonably common knowledge.

15. aokman

aokman Member

yeah except the gopros are on when your downloading data... and charging...

my mate uses his via USB charge in the car while recording, there are no issues.

16. sickbunny

sickbunny Member

Yeah ive used mine a fair bit in the car whilst plugged into usb charging with no issues.

17. Mudhoney

Mudhoney Member

Apparently you did not read my post. You should remove the card from the cam and use a card reader on your PC to download the data. Use a dedicated charger and not your PC to charge via USB while the cam is off.

If you don't care about optimising your battery's life, go ahead and use it in the most convenient way to you. I use mine at the snow where battery life is a real issue due to the cold, so I try to maximise my battery life.

More here: http://goprouser.freeforums.org/faq-s-frequently-asked-question-all-models-t6046.html

18. Mudhoney

Mudhoney Member

yes, of course it will work, the point is whether you want to keep your battery in good shape or not. Up to you.

19. Kow

Kow Member

Anywhere in Australia with local stock yet?

20. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Well having picked up a GoPro Hero 2 recently for a mere US$200 from Amazon, all I can say is I'm absolutely stunned by the quality and general ease of use. I'm shooting 720 wide angle (170 degrees is just brilliant), at 60fps, and it's a dream. I shoot stills with a D90 and D7000, so the video is just a bonus; I strap the GoPro to my head and let it go.

Colour reproduction, sharpness, and low light performance are incredibly good, and I drilled a hole in the side of the casing so I could mount an external omnidirecitonal microphone which is cheap but which is still a massive improvement on the GoPro's internal mic (I'll upgrade it later to a good mini-shotgun mic).

Mounted on a mini-tripod and stuck in the corner, it does a fantastic job of getting absolutely everything. I don't even bother editing the video, I just throw it straight up on Youtube. With three batteries and a 32GB card, I can shoot whatever I like without worrying about running out of storage or battery life. I shot almost four hours on the weekend and every video was completely usable. Love it.